Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 PM
WSI High Priest

The cubbies are very popular now and have been for much of the last 30 years or more. But may their arrogance and smug condescending attitude comes back and bites them in the ass.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 01-16-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
The cubbies are very popular now and have been for much of the last 30 years or more. But may their arrogance and smug condescending attitude comes back and bites them in the ass.

Look for the devil and his angels to invest in winter wear before that happens.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Good points but I'd submit the Chicago market is a lot different baseball-wise than L.A. who has more transient fans many coming from other locations.

And the bottom line from a Cub standpoint I think is this, they'd love to have everybody on the planet watch them but as long as they get their money and its in the bank, number of viewers take second position to $$$$$$$$$$.

And I think they won't break the bank but they'll get a TON of advertising income at the start with companies falling all over themselves to join the bandwagon.

The real question is, assuming what I think comes to pass, how much advertising money is left for the Sox? Do the Cubs suck that market dry??
You make it sound like the Sox have no advertisers or advertisers are just waiting to jump ship to move to the Cubs. If the Sox rebuild pays off this won't be an issue.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
You make it sound like the Sox have no advertisers or advertisers are just waiting to jump ship to move to the Cubs. If the Sox rebuild pays off this won't be an issue.
Yup.

It's all about building sustained success in your brand.

I'm not going to sit here all doom and gloom contemplating the Cubs walking. The Sox need to be worried about building their own product so it sells itself.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Yup.

It's all about building sustained success in your brand.

I'm not going to sit here all doom and gloom contemplating the Cubs walking. The Sox need to be worried about building their own product so it sells itself.
Agreed. The Sox are their own worst enemy. They haven't done squat in 10 years. Change that in the next few years, and we won't have to worry so much about the Cubs and their antics.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 01-16-2018, 03:29 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Of course they'll be some, the question is how many and what will they be willing to pay for a team that when the Sox TV deal expires will still be in the rebuilding phase although getting closer to contending.

The Sox will get a lot of money for their new deal. Do I think it will as much as the Cubs will get? No.

Do I think it will be as much as the Billion dollar deals smaller market teams like Seattle, St. Louis and Arizona got? Again, I don't think so.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:51 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Of course they'll be some, the question is how many and what will they be willing to pay for a team that when the Sox TV deal expires will still be in the rebuilding phase although getting closer to contending.

The Sox will get a lot of money for their new deal. Do I think it will as much as the Cubs will get? No.

Do I think it will be as much as the Billion dollar deals smaller market teams like Seattle, St. Louis and Arizona got? Again, I don't think so.
Haven't the Sox historically done well in TV ratings compared to other teams around MLB for the most part?

Advertisers only care about number of viewers, nothing else matters.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Haven't the Sox historically done well in TV ratings compared to other teams around MLB for the most part?

Advertisers only care about number of viewers, nothing else matters.
Define "historically"... the last several years have been dreadful. Advertisers will be looking at recent history I suspect and not numbers from the 90's or 80's or 50's and certainly take that into account.

It would help if the Sox can show real on-field progress in 2019 right before their TV deal ends. That would give them more up-side with everyone and every facet.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

But it's not advertisers who are ponying up the money to these teams to give them their own network. The Dodgers deal is with Time-Warner. The Mariners deal is with DirecTV. Those are 2 huge media conglomerates that were able to provide billions of dollars for broadcast rights. I have no idea how advertisers then play into the situation. I'm going to guess that advertising rates aren't much different for those specific channels. Especially with the Dodgers. Since their channel is a subscription based channel and providers aren't carrying that channel ratings are low. I can't see advertisers willing to spend more money to advertise on a channel that not many people are watching.