Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2018, 06:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Happy Days

13 years ago tonight we were all on cloud nine celebrating a White Sox World Championship, here's hoping another is coming up pretty soon.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
13 years ago tonight we were all on cloud nine celebrating a White Sox World Championship, here's hoping another is coming up pretty soon.
Hopefully in our lifetime Little Nell😜
Old 10-27-2018, 09:09 AM
WSI High Priest

13 years later to the date, the Red Sox and Dodgers played the longest WS game in WS history.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:18 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
I really don't expect to see another one in whatever time I have left.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-28-2018, 05:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post

Sto lat bracie!
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-28-2018, 10:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I was 19 years old in 2005, and if you asked me that spring if I expected the White Sox to win a World Series in my lifetime, I would have told you no.

They've won one more in my lifetime than I expected. Anything else is gravy.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I was 19 years old in 2005, and if you asked me that spring if I expected the White Sox to win a World Series in my lifetime, I would have told you no.

They've won one more in my lifetime than I expected. Anything else is gravy.
I WANT GRAVY!

****... I want a sundae too. With extra caramel, hot fudge a heaping helping of whipped cream, chopped nuts and a ****ing cherry on top.

I'm greedy like that...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-28-2018, 12:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I WANT GRAVY!

****... I want a sundae too. With extra caramel, hot fudge a heaping helping of whipped cream, chopped nuts and a ****ing cherry on top.

I'm greedy like that...

Me too.

I think the Sox will increase their chances of competing for multiple World Series titles if they stick to the rebuild rather than trying to short-circuit it in an effort to chase a few more wins in 2019 and 2020.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I WANT GRAVY!

I'm greedy like that...

I agree, but that only makes it worse because I feel like Nellie, and I'm younger than he is.

The summer I turned 12, when I was turning 12, the White Sox honored the 1959 team that went to the World Series, and it felt inconceivable to me that the White Sox had ever been better than any team in the American League (there never having been any sort of a League Championship Series at that point). Everybody I went to school with in Munster militantly rooted for the Cubs, who were 8.5 games ahead of an expansion team with six weeks to go.

Damned if the White Sox didn't win the World Series before the Cubs --36 seasons later and (for me) thousands of miles away.

I've been feeling 1969-ish lately.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I hear you, the track record of the franchise isn't too good with only one WS Championship in 101 years. Us old farts really need this rebuild to work.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I agree, but that only makes it worse because I feel like Nellie, and I'm younger than he is.

The summer I turned 12, when I was turning 12, the White Sox honored the 1959 team that went to the World Series, and it felt inconceivable to me that the White Sox had ever been better than any team in the American League (there never having been any sort of a League Championship Series at that point). Everybody I went to school with in Munster militantly rooted for the Cubs, who were 8.5 games ahead of an expansion team with six weeks to go.

Damned if the White Sox didn't win the World Series before the Cubs --36 seasons later and (for me) thousands of miles away.

I've been feeling 1969-ish lately.
I was at the Double Header against the Royals the day they honored the 59 team who will always be my favorite baseball heroes, the date was July 20, 1969, the same day that man walked on the Moon for the first time.
There wasn't much to cheer about in 69 but it was a lot of fun watching the Cubs blow the division to the Mets.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-28-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:26 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I hear you, the track record of the franchise isn't too good with only one WS Championship in 101 years. Us old farts really need this rebuild to work.
I really hope it not only results in another title but makes them a contender for at least half a decade or more.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I really hope it not only results in another title but makes them a contender for at least half a decade or more.
That why I treasure the Go Go Sox years, contenders for 17 straight years with many 90+ win seasons and the 59 AL Pennant. We just had the misfortune of being in the same league with some really great Yankee teams, Second City, Second Place.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:10 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

Im not a greedy man, Ill settle for a summer of competitive baseball.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Im not a greedy man, Ill settle for a summer of competitive baseball.
I don't think any White Sox fan can ever be greedy about winning or competitive teams, no Sox fan in the history of the franchise has ever seen the team in the post-season for 2 consecutive years. Greed in some circumstances can be good.