GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2018, 08:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I don't think he's worthless. Suspension or no, catchers who can hit are a valuable commodity, so there's always the chance you can flip him for something, particularly since he's in a contract year.
That's the problem - Castillo didn't hit a lick last year.
I suppose he could hit this year which makes him tradeable.
Smith really isn't tradeable.
Narvaez hit, and overall is really the top story of Sox offense in 2018. Excellent OBP plus a power surge (for the "power comes later" theory), and has a good arm. Just needs to work on the other catching aspects. Sox took 2 Rule 5 catchers that year - the major league guy flopped, and the minor league guy soars.

Last edited by Tragg; 10-27-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Good luck,Kevan.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:21 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Narvaez hit, and overall is really the top story of Sox offense in 2018. Excellent OBP plus a power surge (for the "power comes later" theory), and has a good arm. Just needs to work on the other catching aspects. Sox took 2 Rule 5 catchers that year - the major league guy flopped, and the minor league guy soars.
Castillo was actually hitting well in April and May before getting busted for steroids...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Castillo was actually hitting well in April and May before getting busted for steroids...
Yeah, I agree. A catcher with some pop hovering around .250/.260 while also taking care of the young pitchers....he was doing fine before the suspension.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Yeah, I agree. A catcher with some pop hovering around .250/.260 while also taking care of the young pitchers....he was doing fine before the suspension.
I was actually cracking wise. I can't trust his batting skills because we have no idea how much of it was due to the PED. Sox are taking a chance by keeping him, maybe hoping he can be traded or that he violates again and will be suspended for the year and they won't be on the hook for his salary. Team has to be pretty miffed at him.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:20 PM
WSI High Priest

No surprise at letting a 31 yo back up go.

Narvaez and Castillo at the major league level, and from what I've heard, Collins/Zavala will be the tandem at Charlotte. I would anticipate Zavala being a September call up and taking over for Castillo as the RH hitting catcher in 2020, Narvaez may prove in 2019 that his 2nd half 2018 was not a fluke or MAYBE Collins is ready by 2020 (but I am personally very skeptical about Collins).
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 10-27-2018, 08:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
But that's the thing--a down year for Castillo was still only a little bit worse than Smith being probably as good as he's ever going to be.

Yeah, Narvaez is too brutal behind the plate to start for a contender. But as it is, his bat looks good enough to be an above average backup who can also fill in at DH sometimes. If he improves defensively he'll be more than that. The offensive bar for catching is pretty damn low.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
But that's the thing--a down year for Castillo was still only a little bit worse than Smith being probably as good as he's ever going to be.

Yeah, Narvaez is too brutal behind the plate to start for a contender. But as it is, his bat looks good enough to be an above average backup who can also fill in at DH sometimes. If he improves defensively he'll be more than that. The offensive bar for catching is pretty damn low.
One guy is making ~$6M and the other guy is making ~$500k.

The guy making $6M was ineligible for half the season and was un-tradeable since he was disqualified for the playoffs.

Castillo needs to go regardless of Kevan Smith.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
One guy is making ~$6M and the other guy is making ~$500k.

The guy making $6M was ineligible for half the season and was un-tradeable since he was disqualified for the playoffs.

Castillo needs to go regardless of Kevan Smith.
If they cut him they pay it all. Smith is gone, so let Castillo catch. If he doesn't fail a test and has a solid season they might get something for him at the trade deadline. If he does fail a test they are off the hook for the rest of his salary.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:28 PM
WSI Regular

If Castillo isn't getting the job done by the end of May and has no trade value, then he's worthless and should be released. He really screwed the Sox with his suspension. But if they can get anything (at all) for him midseason then make the trade.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry
If Castillo isn't getting the job done by the end of May and has no trade value, then he's worthless and should be released. He really screwed the Sox with his suspension. But if they can get anything (at all) for him midseason then make the trade.
Castillo can suck for the entirety of 2019 without it making one bit of difference. Just donít rush the catchers on the farm.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:25 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I was actually cracking wise. I can't trust his batting skills because we have no idea how much of it was due to the PED.

If he was riding in the Tour de France I would say I can't trust his performance. I can't imagine what EPO can do for batting skills.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L
Sep 22 L
Sep 23 L
Sep 25 W

Next Game 2019 ?
Old 10-29-2018, 05:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
That's why I was surprised that they didn't release him. He wasn't good last year, and Sox brass has taken umbrage when players disrespect them (or the appearance of disrespect) and moved them along. Well, Castillo delivered a wallop of disrespect.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:24 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Castillo can suck for the entirety of 2019 without it making one bit of difference. Just donít rush the catchers on the farm.
Yeah, you're right. I think I'm just bitter how he cheated and screwed the team.