Dick Allen 13 25.49%
Wilbur Wood 3 5.88%
The inventor of Churros 7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMinoso View Post
One of the problems on our board is that guys like Minnie, Pierce,Fox, Aparicio and those guys from the fifties were never seen live by a lot of the people on this board. Sometimes to form an opinion, you have to see the people play and not just form opinions on stats alone. I love Harold Baines and hope he makes it into the hall, but I think as an overall player, Minnie was the better player because i saw both of them play and that's what I base my opinion on. The same thing happens when you get a guy on the Sox that you never really saw day in and day out and you find that he is much better or worse than you thought. We all know that the hall leaves a lot of people out because the writers saw some players a lot more than others and that is how they form their opinions too. I have my own hall of fame in my head and it is probably biased also for those reasons.
I'm not old enough to have seen Minoso, but Baines simply does not compare to him. Minnie was one of the best all around players in the game for over a decade and he his career peak was HOF-worthy. Throw in the fact that he opened so many doors for Cuban players and it's a damn shame he isn't in the hall just yet. I like Baines but an unbiased look at his peak and his career shows that he's hall of very good at best, in my opinion.

Billy Pierce is another guy who should be in the hall of fame. Even some of the people who are respected in the sabermetrics industry believe he was THE AL's best pitcher in the 50's when all was said and done (he even led the 50's in WAR for pitchers). Plus consider the fact he racked up many of those stats against teams like the 50's Yankees and it's a wonder why he still isn't in. This is one area where I think people don't look at the context of the era he played in and just line up overall career stats versus another player's to make their decisions.

People still pining for Joe Jackson need to read his court testimony. He admitted to throwing the series and his good slash lines came in garbage time. The HOF should keep him banned for life to make an example out of him.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Are you trying to draw an equivalence between the two men?

Of course not. It's of question of ethical judgment and consistency.

A baseball hero who accepts money from gambling interests with a promise to lose a championship, or even allows gambling interests to influence his duty to his team, his fans to win does not compare in importance to a national hero of World War i collaborating with the Nazis in World War II and contributing to the Jewish Holocaust. Similarly, few (except the likes of Marge Schott when she was alive) believes Hitler should be honored for resurrecting the German economy in the 1930s.

Regardless of the gravity of the consequences, the question of ethical consistency is legitimate.

Jackson admitted to committing crimes against baseball. The conspiracy to throw the World Series would not have happened if he had not accepted money up front to play to lose the series.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:40 PM
WSI Regular

I voted for Shoeless Joe, Pierce and Minoso.

As for Buerhle, Konerko and Baines? Close but no cigar IMO.

Allen? A HOF talent for sure. His numbers are excellent. But his reputation? I think that's what prevents him from getting in. He quit on the Phillies and the Sox, lasted one year in LA, also briefly in STL. Finished up in Oakland. It seemed like he was more into horse racing than baseball.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:24 PM
WSI Personality

Shoeless Joe, Minnie, and Pierce all belong in the HOF.

There really shouldn't even be an argument there.

Baines should be in too, IMO.

Edit: Switched Baines and Pierce. I had a brain fart.

Last edited by ricker182; 11-24-2018 at 12:34 PM.