White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 PM
WSI Guru

From Garfien's "Sox Drawer" today:

Q: Jon Heyman tweeted out earlier that Joe Girardi pulled out of the Reds managerial search because he wants to wait a year for the Chicago job. Do you think he’s talking about the Sox? — @piratedwight

CG: I don’t know if the report is true or not, but what I do know is that Girardi grew up a Cubs fan and he later played for the Cubs. Put those two together and I’d assume he would love to manage them in the future. Something to consider: The main reason Yankees general manager Brian Cashman gave for firing Girardi in 2017 was that he felt he had trouble communicating and connecting with the young players. For a young, rebuilding team like the White Sox, that might be a red flag. Granted, that’s the Yankees' side of the story. Personally, I don’t think he’s interested in managing the White Sox.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I heard a recent interview with Peter Gammons in which he opined (in the context of discussing Joe Maddon's future with the Cubs) that the days of the high priced, "celebrity" managers are quickly coming to an end. Managing a baseball team is now viewed much more as a collaboration between GM (and staff), minor league director, scouting director and field manager (and staff). Gammons pointed out that most field managers are now hired for $1M per year (or less) and that few teams will be willing to shell out the mega bucks that Maddon currently makes.

What a bunch of BS (the theory, not you Lip).
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Ricky should be gone in a year, but I have a sinking feeling that the Sox will extend him, the way they did with Ventura. I hope they use the whole season to evaluate him, and decide to move on.

Girardi doesn't make sense for the Sox, which is just fine, because I was never impressed with him as a big league manager. I think he won because the Yankees are perennially loaded.

Girardi fans, why is he better than Ricky?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:44 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I hope they use the whole season to evaluate him, and decide to move on.
Give him a fair trial, then take him out and hang him?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 10-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

It is irrelevant that he was a Cub fan growing up or that he once played for them. Under that theory, Jim Thome would not be on the Sox' payroll right now.

I still think Vizquel will be the next Manager. Not because he will "cost less," but because he knows the players better than Girardi will in the first year.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:35 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
It is irrelevant that he was a Cub fan growing up or that he once played for them. Under that theory, Jim Thome would not be on the Sox' payroll right now.

I still think Vizquel will be the next Manager. Not because he will "cost less," but because he knows the players better than Girardi will in the first year.
Pretty sure Omar is also fluent in Spanish. I don't know if Joe is but it would definitely help given the number of players the Sox have from Cuba and other Spanish speaking nations.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
If the alternative is extend him before his contract's up, yes. He's been fine for a team that's trying to lose 100 games but he hasn't convinced me he has a great baseball mind.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:57 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The Girardi speculation is nothing but click bait.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Will they un-retire #11 for him again?
Old 10-23-2018, 03:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The Girardi speculation is nothing but click bait.

I agree.

277-241.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:45 AM
WSI Guru

from Scott Merkin's mailbag yesterday:

Have you heard one tiny whisper at all that the Sox are considering replacing Ricky with Girardi?
Vince, Melrose Park, Ill. (@vinnyc52)

Rick Renteria is a White Sox manager the entire organization completely believes in from top to bottom, including the players -- just check out this quote from pitching coach Don Cooper concerning Renteria's entire staff.

"I've been here for 18 years, and the coaching staff we have is as prepared as we've ever been," Cooper said. "That's a good thing."

Have heard speculation the Sox will probably sign Ricky to a two year extension although it may have to happen before the 2019 season moves along...another 90-100 loss season and giving him an extension could be a hard sell to the fan base.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
f

"I've been here for 18 years, and the coaching staff we have is as prepared as we've ever been," Cooper said. "That's a good thing."
Good gracious.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I still think Vizquel will be the next Manager.
You're not alone.He (Vizquel) won't be content to manage the WS Dash forever.