Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2017, 05:34 PM
WSI Guru

I put our ambulance service up against anybody in the league. This has to go pretty far when Machado's considering signing here next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ems2.JPG (95.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 12-16-2017, 08:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
bad precedent to set if the sox settle imo.

There are known risks of playing baseball and known risks to chasing a ball to a freaking wall.

It's unfortunate, but he didn't die.
+1
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 PM
WSI Regular

Here’s two shots from the Yankee telecast. The first is blurry at the moment of impact. The second is just after and clearly shows the box (on the left) which is not in the field of play. The box occupies the space between the top of the wall and the underside of the railing, but on the inside, or “fan side” of the wall.

So the claim would be that the knee went into that gap and collided with an electrical panel that shouldn’t be there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41A34100-E644-48FB-9ED5-84C290C821F1.jpg (83.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 5164DC27-3167-4680-AD22-A2C4D6A738C9.jpg (77.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-16-2017, 08:50 PM
WSI Regular

Here’s Fowler just before he collapsed. The electric panel is to the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22B6A0CC-9A40-4C7B-9F03-0B09E4E3DC70.jpg (93.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-16-2017, 08:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
Here’s two shots from the Yankee telecast. The first is blurry at the moment of impact. The second is just after and clearly shows the box (on the left) which is not in the field of play. The box occupies the space between the top of the wall and the underside of the railing, but on the inside, or “fan side” of the wall.

So the claim would be that the knee went into that gap and collided with an electrical panel that shouldn’t be there.
If that panel where his hand is in the second shot is the electrical box then I don't see how gets from hitting it with his knee to where he is in the second shot with his hand touching it and his legs over the next section of rail when he was running from left to right. IF that is the box. It could easily be a "keep off the grass" sign facing the fans from all we can see there. The angle of the first shot is such that there is no way to tell if he is hitting the sign or hitting to the right of the sign... which would be much more likely given the position of his body and legs in the second shot.

Are there other angles available? Do we know for sure that is the electrical box he allegedly hit?
Old 12-16-2017, 08:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

OK, this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH4AAelZd18

gives a better, but not perfect look at what happened. That does look like a box rather than a flat sign. It also looks like he hit right about in that area and that his knee was high enough to have made contact between the top of the pads and the gap before the rail. It also seems reasonable given the position of the thing that it should have been padded. Even so, his knee would have hit an immovable object with him running at full speed. That is a known danger on his part when heading into foul territory.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
OK, this video.
Yes, this is the same feed I used for the still images. Watch near the end of the YouTube clip, there’s a slow-mo replay that shows the collision of knee on box.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 PM
WSI Guru

How does YES Network have better camera work than the CSN crew at a Sox home game? Good job Lemon and Andrew on finding the box. The last part of that YouTube clip is clear.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
OK, this video

gives a better, but not perfect look at what happened. That does look like a box rather than a flat sign. It also looks like he hit right about in that area and that his knee was high enough to have made contact between the top of the pads and the gap before the rail. It also seems reasonable given the position of the thing that it should have been padded. Even so, his knee would have hit an immovable object with him running at full speed. That is a known danger on his part when heading into foul territory.

So looking at the video and the violence of the impact based on pure physics, how would any court solely blame the electrical box as the reason for his injuries?

So with no box there his injury doesn't happen? That would be very difficult to prove.

And I can also argue that the Box is inside the wall /railings, not exposed over the surface as they make it sound it is.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:53 AM
WSI High Priest

This was talked about last night on MLB Radio.

Someone called in and reminded radio hosts Spilborghs and Stanton that there is already precedence ...

In 1975 Elliott Maddox suffered a knee injury and sued his employer, the Yankees, for damages. The ruling went 6-0 against Maddox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Maddox

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/22/sp...s-in-suit.html

While I don't think Fowler has a chance, I'm just some random guy still trying to figure out how my fantasy team lost in last season's WSI Dynasty League's semi-finals.

“I feel like J. Robert Oppenheimer having invented the atomic bomb. I mean, look what I’ve unleashed on the world.”

-- Daniel Okrent, founder of Rotisserie Baseball

Last edited by The Racehorse; 12-17-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 AM
WSI Personality

He should sue himself for not feeling the warning track and chasing a ball into the stands.

What a joke of a lawsuit and I'm all for workplace safety.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
he should sue himself for not feeling the warning track and chasing a ball into the stands.

What a joke of a lawsuit and i'm all for workplace safety.
+1
Old 12-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

There have many times where I've wanted to sue the Sox for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. However, the defense of "consent" keeps stopping me at the courthouse steps.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
There have many times where I've wanted to sue the Sox for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. However, the defense of "consent" keeps stopping me at the courthouse steps.
Maybe we can start a class-action lawsuit.

I feel the same.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
OK, this video

And that is the biggest problem for Fowler, I think: he was running full speed within inches of the wall. Illinois is, I believe, a comparative negligence State. That means that Fowler's recovery for damages that the defendants' negligence caused would be reduced by the percentage of negligence attributable to him.

That may be a big problem for Fowler. He didn't slow up at all and he didn't look to see where the wall was. He does bear some responsibility for this injury.