White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2018, 03:11 PM
WSI Regular

Default Mike Trout

He's having himself a hell of a season and if you go by bWAR, he's on pace to have the best season...ever. Which is crazy to even fathom, but consider some of these numbers: https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...routmi01.shtml

He leads the majors in home runs, walks, on base percentage, and OPS+. He's top 5 in a ton of other categories.

Right now, he has 4.9 bWAR which is a pace for 15.3 bWAR. That would be the best bWAR any player has had for a single season. Ever. Better than Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, anyone.

As for his career bWAR, he's 7th among active players. The 6 players ahead of him (Pujols, Beltre, Cabrera, Cano, Utely, Ichiro) are all in their mid to late 30's. Mike Trout is only 26.

Oh and speaking of only being 26, also consider the fact he's about to pass several hall of famers in career bWAR: Vlad Guerrero, Yogi Berra, and Harmon Killebrew.

If injuries don't derail his career I have no doubt Trout will go down as one of the best players ever, or at least top 5. He's clearly the best player in the game and it's crazy we're witnessing history right now, but nobody ever talks about him like they do about players in New York, Boston, or LA.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
He's having himself a hell of a season and if you go by bWAR, he's on pace to have the best season...ever. Which is crazy to even fathom, but consider some of these numbers: https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...routmi01.shtml

He leads the majors in home runs, walks, on base percentage, and OPS+. He's top 5 in a ton of other categories.

Right now, he has 4.9 bWAR which is a pace for 15.3 bWAR. That would be the best bWAR any player has had for a single season. Ever. Better than Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, anyone.

As for his career bWAR, he's 7th among active players. The 6 players ahead of him (Pujols, Beltre, Cabrera, Cano, Utely, Ichiro) are all in their mid to late 30's. Mike Trout is only 26.

Oh and speaking of only being 26, also consider the fact he's about to pass several hall of famers in career bWAR: Vlad Guerrero, Yogi Berra, and Harmon Killebrew.

If injuries don't derail his career I have no doubt Trout will go down as one of the best players ever, or at least top 5. He's clearly the best player in the game and it's crazy we're witnessing history right now, but nobody ever talks about him like they do about players in New York, Boston, or LA.
Oh what might have been for the White Sox.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That can be said for 23 other teams as well, seeing is Trout was the 25th pick. It wasn’t just the White Sox.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
That can be said for 23 other teams as well, seeing is Trout was the 25th pick. It wasn’t just the White Sox.
True but the Angels took him immediately after the Sox made their forgettable selection.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
True but the Angels took him immediately after the Sox made their forgettable selection.
Only after they passed on him with their 1st pick in the 1st round.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM
WSI Personality

Mike Trout being taken as the 25th pick in the 2009 just highlights how much of a crap shoot the baseball draft really is.

Jared Mitchell was taken by the White Sox at 23 and then the Angels selected Randal Grichuk at 24 and then Trout at 25.

I don’t fault the White Sox on missing on their pick, because looking at the drafts, the majority of players don’t pan out especially >20th pick. It is what it is.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Anaheim's pretty close to LA.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Ohtani appears to be a well above average hitter as well as well above average starting pitcher. We dont see it, but early in his career it was clear also an excellent outfielder. To me, that makes him the best player in the game. Sorry Trout. I'll still call you the best hitter though. Not sure I wouldnt take Berra in his prime over Trout, either, I dont care what WAR says.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:24 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
...nobody ever talks about him like they do about players in New York, Boston, or LA.
He's in LA.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Ohtani appears to be a well above average hitter as well as well above average starting pitcher. We dont see it, but early in his career it was clear also an excellent outfielder. To me, that makes him the best player in the game. Sorry Trout. I'll still call you the best hitter though. Not sure I wouldnt take Berra in his prime over Trout, either, I dont care what WAR says.
Is this sarcasm, or.....

Trout has been playing at a HOF level since he was 20 and is having a career best season. When his career is over we might be discussing whether or not he was the best player post WWII.

Ohtani otoh has roughly a third of a ML season to his name.....
Old 05-28-2018, 01:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sorry unless Trout can pitch the Angels to a win, Ohtani is the superior baseball player.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Sorry unless Trout can pitch the Angels to a win, Ohtani is the superior baseball player.

Actually no, Ohtani is below Trout in terms of the offense and the defense components of the game.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-28-2018, 08:01 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
He's in LA.
Yeah I just caught that after re-reading what I posted. My dumb mistake stays
Old 05-28-2018, 08:03 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Can you imagine? Right now he'd arguably be what, the 6th best player in team history at the age of 26? Behind Frank, Pierce, Appling, Fox, Aparicio, and Shoeless. It's too bad we didn't draft him cause that'd be insane.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Can you imagine? Right now he'd arguably be what, the 6th best player in team history at the age of 26? Behind Frank, Pierce, Appling, Fox, Aparicio, and Shoeless. It's too bad we didn't draft him cause that'd be insane.
I’d add Walsh and Collins to your list but your point is well taken.