White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2018, 09:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Simply putting up historic numbers is not going to get Mike Trout noticed by the media. It's not enough, it hasn't been enough for half a decade. He used to be able to use Anaheim as an excuse, but Ohtani plays in Anaheim and has no problem being a media darling and a household name.

Mike Trout's problem is that apart from being incredibly good at baseball, he's boring. He needs off the field issues. If he starts acting like Manny Ramirez, he'll get media attention. Especially once Tatis comes up for San Diego and breaks all of his records.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Simply putting up historic numbers is not going to get Mike Trout noticed by the media. It's not enough, it hasn't been enough for half a decade. He used to be able to use Anaheim as an excuse, but Ohtani plays in Anaheim and has no problem being a media darling and a household name.

Mike Trout's problem is that apart from being incredibly good at baseball, he's boring. He needs off the field issues. If he starts acting like Manny Ramirez, he'll get media attention. Especially once Tatis comes up for San Diego and breaks all of his records.
Ohtani has the benefit of being from Japan. Often Asian players who do well in American sports and have name recognition in their home country before they came here draw a lot of extra attention. In addition, Ohtani is doing something that no one does anymore pitching and hitting at an All-Star level.

I'm sure if Trout continues his dominance this season people will start talking about it more later in the year, but I'd bet there are people who have had comparable 1/3 seasons before. It won't really be news until we get to late August if he's sustaining the pace. Then people will notice, but WAR, OPS and other newer stats don't draw the attention that AVG, HR. do. Not saying that's right but the vast majority of fans who follow baseball have no idea what bWAR is or why it differs from fWAR. Heck, the vast majority of those fans have never even visited Fangraphs or Baseball Reference. I don't recall Frank Thomas getting much national press for his amazing 1994 season before the strike either, but again, statistical excellence across many different categories doesn't carry the same eye appeal as extreme dominance in one.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 05-28-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Can you imagine? Right now he'd arguably be what, the 6th best player in team history at the age of 26? Behind Frank, Pierce, Appling, Fox, Aparicio, and Shoeless. It's too bad we didn't draft him cause that'd be insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I’d add Walsh and Collins to your list but your point is well taken.
I'll see your Walsh & Collins and raise you a Ted Lyons. :')

Quote:
Simply putting up historic numbers is not going to get Mike Trout noticed by the media.
Who cares about the media?

Quote:
Mike Trout's problem is that apart from being incredibly good at baseball, he's boring. He needs off the field issues.
This is what its come to?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-28-2018, 02:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

If Trout continues what he has been doing his whole career, I doubt the hall of fame voters are going to care that he is “boring.”

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:54 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I'll see your Walsh & Collins and raise you a Ted Lyons. :')

String bet.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
String bet.

Ha! I am such a poker fool that I had to look up what a string bet is.

That's why I love this site!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Actually no, Ohtani is below Trout in terms of the offense and the defense components of the game.
Not nearly as far below as Trout is compared to Ohtani in the pitching component though
Old 05-29-2018, 06:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Not nearly as far below as Trout is compared to Ohtani in the pitching component though

I'll go out night after night with Trout and you can take Ohtani.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 AM
WSI Regular

Over his last 37 PA's, Trout is slashing .696/.778/1.158 with 4 home runs, 11 walks, and 9 RBI's. He's walked more than he's struck out for the entire season, which is unheard of in this era. Oh and now he's leading the majors in runs scored, home runs, walks, OBP, OPS, OPS+, total bases, intentional walks, and he's already at 6+ bWAR and fWAR for the season. Still on pace to break Babe's record.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Mike Trout Hightlights courtesy of MLB.com

My favorite Mike Trout highlight from this season thus far. His 5 hit night against the Yankees.

https://www.mlb.com/video/statcast-t...?tid=240568594 << 5 hit night

https://www.mlb.com/video/mlb-tonigh...83?tid=7417714 << Trout vs Mantle comparison

https://www.mlb.com/video/search?q=trout
(other highlights)

Many more Mike Trout highlights posted for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by Wsoxmike59; 06-21-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional Comments to make.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
My favorite Mike Trout highlight from this season thus far. His 5 hit night against the Yankees.

https://www.mlb.com/video/statcast-t...?tid=240568594 << 5 hit night

https://www.mlb.com/video/mlb-tonigh...83?tid=7417714 << Trout vs Mantle comparison

https://www.mlb.com/video/search?q=trout
(other highlights)

Many more Mike Trout highlights posted for your viewing pleasure.
If he was on our team I'd be a season ticket holder.

I could watch that every day.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
If he was on our team I'd be a season ticket holder.

I could watch that every day.

Me too. We're truly fortunate that the game keeps regenerating itself, when I first started watching baseball I saw guys like Aparicio, Banks, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Killebrew, Carew, Rose, Bench and then the next generation of stars, Seaver, Carlton, Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, George Brett, Molitor and Yount, Fisk & Frank Thomas all the way in to today's stars, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Aaron Judge, Jose Altuve, Giancarlo Stanton, Mookie Betts and others.

Mike Trout definitley belongs in their class.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
Me too. We're truly fortunate that the game keeps regenerating itself, when I first started watching baseball I saw guys like Aparicio, Banks, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Killebrew, Carew, Rose, Bench and then the next generation of stars, Seaver, Carlton, Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, George Brett, Molitor and Yount, Fisk & Frank Thomas all the way in to today's stars, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Aaron Judge, Jose Altuve, Giancarlo Stanton, Mookie Betts and others.

Mike Trout definitley belongs in their class.

Your impressions of Mantle and Frank Robinson?
Old 06-23-2018, 01:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Your impressions of Mantle and Frank Robinson?

I never got to see the Mick play live in person but my older brother did, and he still remembers the game he went to and saw Mick homer from both sides of the plate against the Sox.

I only saw him at the very tail end of his career and he was a shadow of his former self.

Now Frank Robinson, was a HOF'er and I only remember his Oriole years. Frank could do it all. Hit, run and field.

My all time NL Outfield would be Hank Aaron LF, Willie Mays CF and I often go back and forth between Robinson and Clemente for RF. It's that close between them in my eyes.

PS. The 1971 World Series is largely remembered for the show Roberto Clemente put on, and the nation got to see him on the big stage one last time before his untimely death, and he did not disappoint. But Frank Robinson also had a heckuva series and I think he and Roberto were neck and neck for the World Series MVP. (if i remember correctly)
Old 06-23-2018, 02:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Vote Mike Trout AL All Star Please!