White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Seattle Pilots

A couple of years ago I rented a video from Amazon called: The Seattle Pilots A Short Flight In To History. A wonderful documentary on the history of baseball in the Pacific NW and how the Pilots came to be in existence and their untimely demise after just one big league season. There were some wonderful interviews in the documentary with former players, Jim Bouton, Gary Bell, Gerry McNertney, Greg Goosen and a few others.

The team was forever immortalized in the book Ball Four by Jim Bouton, and as a kid who grew up in the 60's and 70's the Pilots became a wonderful phenomenon for baseball fans all across America, not just in Seattle.

Now just up on You Tube I found some actual footage of the Seattle Pilots in action against the Boston Red Sox. Up until now I thought no TV footage of them even existed. So this is a find. Even in the above mentioned documentary they had no TV footage of the Pilots, but whatever home movies existed by the Seattle fans and archival footage (their first game against the White Sox) made it in to the documentary, but no TV footage was found as far as I know.

So sit back, relax and strap it down and enjoy about 16 minutes of Seattle Pilot footage.....oh and go "pound some Bud" in memory of Joe Schultz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHBRL9LeCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSTprNed3yI&t=53s
Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

As a kid I remember getting this card in one of my Topp's packs and I couldn't get over the resemblance the player sharing his name with the late President had to JFK. It was an uncanny coincidence.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

I own a Seattle Pilots hat, which I bought at a discount store despite it being a size too big on me. When was I going to get a chance to buy a Seattle Pilots hat again?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 PM
WSI High Priest

After spending a year in Vietnam in 1968 my first visit to Comiskey in 1969 was in April and saw the Sox take both games in a Sunday Double Header from the Pilots. There weren't many more good days in 69 as we wound up in 5th place winning only 68 games and only beating out the last place Pilots while finishing behind the other expansion team, the KC Royals.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-26-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 PM
WSI High Priest

I think I read Ball Four 20 times as a teenager. Loved that book.

277-241.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
As a kid I remember getting this card in one of my Topp's packs and I couldn't get over the resemblance the player sharing his name with the late President had to JFK. It was an uncanny coincidence.

He also had the same birthdate as JFK-May 29.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:26 PM
WSI Personality

Powder blue wool road uniforms are very underrated.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I own a Seattle Pilots hat, which I bought at a discount store despite it being a size too big on me. When was I going to get a chance to buy a Seattle Pilots hat again?

About 10 years ago I was at the Value City by my house and they had a replica Seattle Pilots jersey on the rack for around $40. I fell in love with it and I had it in my hand several times but each time put it back on the rack.

I've regretted not buying it ever since.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Powder blue wool road uniforms are very underrated.

I agree. I always loved this card and the 1970 Topps Carlos May in all their powder blue glory!
Old 07-26-2018, 01:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
He also had the same birthdate as JFK-May 29.

Wow! That's really a bizarre coincidence.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
After spending a year in Vietnam in 1968 my first visit to Comiskey in 1969 was in April and saw the Sox take both games in a Sunday Double Header from the Pilots. There weren't many more good days in 69 as we wound up in 5th place winning only 68 games and only beating out the last place Pilots while finishing behind the other expansion team, the KC Royals.

Great story, and thank you for your service. I remember the Sox playing an early season game in 1970 against the Brewers and you could tell the Brewers were playing in restitched Seatlle Pilot uniforms. All the early footage of the Milwaukee Brewers looks like Seattle Pilot uniforms.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/apri...county-stadium

Interesting article on the Pilots move and debut in Milwaukee.

PS. I remember the early season Double Header the Sox played against Milwaukee, (4/12/70) I wasn't at the game but watched it on TV. I can recall the Sunday Sun Times writing an article urging the fans to come out and see an almost sure DH win against the expansion-esque Brewers.....only to lose both ends of the DH and getting smoked in game two!!
Old 07-26-2018, 03:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
Great story, and thank you for your service. I remember the Sox playing an early season game in 1970 against the Brewers and you could tell the Brewers were playing in restitched Seatlle Pilot uniforms. All the early footage of the Milwaukee Brewers looks like Seattle Pilot uniforms.
My next visit was on July 20th and we dropped a DH to the Royals, what was memorable about that day was that the Sox honored the 1959 Sox between games but it was also the day that man walked on the moon for the first time and it was put on the SOX-O-GRAM IIRC about 3PM and the crowd of around 13,000 went nuts and of course they lit up the scoreboard and blew off some fireworks.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:41 PM
WSI Guru

In the second video they show a shot of the scoreboard at Sicks Stadium (named after the beer baron). That exact scoreboard now hangs in left field at Safeco as part of their tribute to the Pilots.

Also there is some radio play by play from Dick Enberg who was the Angels announcer that season of California playing Seattle. I've heard it before and think it is on You Tube.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I think I read Ball Four 20 times as a teenager. Loved that book.

Me too, I even bought the follow up books, I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally, and Ball 5 with Jim's short lived comeback to the big leagues in 1980?? and Pitching and winning a game against the the SF Giants if I remember correctly.

My fav part of Ball Four was the stories of all the pranks the players would pull on each other. To the nailed down spikes on the floor, getting invited to dinner by Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford at the Flame, and all the curfew breaking stories.

Who the Hell is Dooley Womack?