Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
I think they should cover the outfield walls in ivy and tear down DiamondVision and replace it with a manual scoreboard. Sprinkle in falling concrete for effect.
This should settle matters:

Old 10-08-2008, 01:05 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSox35 View Post
That would be AWESOME. Do you have inside info or something? Where's this coming from?
Not really inside information, It was mentioned today on ESPN 1000 by Carmen Defalco. It was his inside info. He mentioned the White Sox have been thinking about it for the past 2 seasons but had decided to wait but that it was going to change this off-season.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish View Post
I was just curious, do you work for an architecture firm? How were you able to get a hold of these plans?
I work for a glazing contractor that installs glass/aluminum/doors on buildings. I'm one of the estimators for my company. I also worked at the company that installed the glass in the "new" Comiskey Park. I figured a few of the renovation phases out there.

I am still working on the bid for the latest renovations. It is a two story building with the Novelty Store. They are moving the ticket windows and main entry towards the parking lot and looks like they are creating an outdoor area that is fenced in. Maybe for the smokers? Can't really tell. Also installing a new grand stairway that will lead up to the Main Concourse level. Removing one set of escalators (along with the East part of the north ramp). The eastern most bridge over 35th Street will only have access at the Main Concourse level now. There will be access from the new area to the existing West part of the north ramp. Bids go in next week and I'm sure they will start construction within a few weeks.
That's my latest update!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
I work for a glazing contractor that installs glass/aluminum/doors on buildings. I'm one of the estimators for my company. I also worked at the company that installed the glass in the "new" Comiskey Park. I figured a few of the renovation phases out there.

I am still working on the bid for the latest renovations. It is a two story building with the Novelty Store. They are moving the ticket windows and main entry towards the parking lot and looks like they are creating an outdoor area that is fenced in. Maybe for the smokers? Can't really tell. Also installing a new grand stairway that will lead up to the Main Concourse level. Removing one set of escalators (along with the East part of the north ramp). The eastern most bridge over 35th Street will only have access at the Main Concourse level now. There will be access from the new area to the existing West part of the north ramp. Bids go in next week and I'm sure they will start construction within a few weeks.
That's my latest update!
I don't suppose you could post some renderings, GAs, etc. could you?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
WSI Personality

The stairway idea sounds similar to the renovations that were originally envisioned for the park. I'm pretty sure the stair case renderings were posted here before.

I'm having trouble picturing the work described with the ramps, but it sounds interesting as does improving the out of town scoreboard.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

That's my latest update!
How expensive would it be to change the smurf-blue glass on the facade of the building and replace it with dark green?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grv1974 View Post
How expensive would it be to change the smurf-blue glass on the facade of the building and replace it with dark green?
maybe we can get the federal government to print us off some funds for the job.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

That's my latest update!
Here come the smokers: "Now they're going to treat us like dogs?!"
Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I am still working on the bid for the latest renovations. It is a two story building with the Novelty Store. They are moving the ticket windows and main entry towards the parking lot and looks like they are creating an outdoor area that is fenced in. Maybe for the smokers? Can't really tell. Also installing a new grand stairway that will lead up to the Main Concourse level. Removing one set of escalators (along with the East part of the north ramp). The eastern most bridge over 35th Street will only have access at the Main Concourse level now. There will be access from the new area to the existing West part of the north ramp.
So there will be one less ramp down from the UD? And one less set of escalators? It all ready seems like they could use a few more escalaters in my opinion. Also as a side note, why at the end of games do they not reverse the ecalators, most parks across the country do it.

What ticket window is moving closer to the parking lot? Do you mean the main ticket window near gate 4? where is the new "grand staircase" going? Is all of this building just going to be on the north east part of the park?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartmanSox View Post
maybe we can get the federal government to print us off some funds for the job.
Yeah, that made sense..............
Old 10-08-2008, 04:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoky44 View Post
Also as a side note, why at the end of games do they not reverse the ecalators, most parks across the country do it.
I thought it has been mentioned before as a safety concern.

Not implying that you're complaining, but I'm sure some people have: is it really that hard to walk down the ramps? If you ask me, after a Sox win, that's one of the best parts of the "Cell experience."
Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 PM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post

Not implying that you're complaining, but I'm sure some people have: is it really that hard to walk down the ramps? If you ask me, after a Sox win, that's one of the best parts of the "Cell experience."
I don't understand how it's a safety concern when every other ballpark/arena I've been in does it and seem to have no problems. I'd love for them to reverse the escalators as well.

States Visited: 49
Last Up: Hawaii in January
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I don't understand how it's a safety concern when every other ballpark/arena I've been in does it and seem to have no problems. I'd love for them to reverse the escalators as well.

There have been a few escalator-related deaths following sporting events in recent years.

It's a policy that just makes sense.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post

I imagine it comes from the fact that before the game, not everyone is arriving at once, so the flow of people up the escalators is not nearly as heavy as what comes down the ramps at the end.

Think of it this way: if the escalators were reversed, nearly all people (people, in general, are lazy) would want to use the escalators. This would cause a major logjam, which is definitely a safety concern.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
Just because other places do it doesn't make it safe.

Sorry, but you're lazy if you need an escalator. You have to walk downhill for five minutes, big whoop.
Closed Thread