White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned

Default it depends...

IF KW, OG, and the FO think that this team is ready to contend NOW, then I don't think it would be a good idea to deal. Given that KW's default setting is to go for it NOW, no matter what, I don't think Jenks would be dealt.

On the other hand, if KW, OG, et. al think that the team is a few seasons away from contending, dealing Jenks at this point would be the right move, for all the reasons previously stated.

From my perspective, were I GM, I'd look to see what the team's performance was up to the trade deadline, and then decide. Better yet, if the SOX should unexpectedly fall out of contention, deal Jenks at the end of 2009.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Anyone who thinks Jenks for Jose Reyes isn't a good deal for the Sox is crazy.
Agreed.

But having said that, I don't see the Mets making that deal.

As an aside, maybe its time to start grooming Poreda to be Bobby's replacement. Or at least explore that as a possibility, since Poreda's only a 2 pitch pitcher right now. This way, if/WHEN Bobby's no longer in the team, there is a possible replacement.

Right now, its Dotel [too hittable] or Linebrink [too injury prone] as Bobby's lieutenant.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Anyone who thinks Jenks for Jose Reyes isn't a good deal for the Sox is crazy.
Of course that would be a good deal for the Sox, but I'd be shocked if something like that were to happen.

If someone gives KW an offer he can't refuse, it's OK to trade Jenks. But otherwise, we're better off holding on to our most reliable reliever.

Linebrink is coming off a bad shoulder. Who knows what he'll be like next year? And Dotel is obviously very erratic. I like Thornton, but I don't trust that he can close.

I can't see Bobby Jenks not being a part of KW's plan to win in 2009.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Banned

HENDRY THE THIEF could pull of a Jenks/Reyes trade heh heh
Old 10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellview View Post
There's is no GM in the world who would accept a Jenks/Sizemore deal.
I bet the GM trading for Sizemore would accept it.
"Two innings later, Paul Konerko will win it for us with a game-winning monster blast that's got every guy on this 7-12 team convinced we're ready to turn our season around. We lose seven of our next eight." - David Wells

andrew reilly | pics
Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice View Post
Jenks for Reyes? I'd have to think about that. If you need an immediate answer it would be no.

Jenks for Kinsler? I would definitely consider this move. Especially if Texas throws some more young pitching prospects our way then you got yourself a deal.

Jenks for Sizemore? Where do I sign the trading papers!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Only at WSI...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 PM
WSI Personality

It's obvious Jenks does not have enough value to bring in a Reyes or Kinsler type most likely, but what would the sox get in return? I think Jenks is good closer but I'm not sure he'll be worth the sort of packages people here are talking about.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 PM
WSI Guru

Anyone who wouldn't take Reyes for Jenks straight-up is certifiably insane.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 PM
WSI Regular

I honestly believe Bobby's velocity is down by choice/design.

He has discovered that as a closer:

You usually enter the game with at the very least, the lead.

You usually enter the game with no runners on base.

With the luxury of having the lead and fresh slate allows closers to relax, and try to concentrate on not falling behind. Bobby has concentrated more on getting ahead of batters so he can utilize both his heat and hook.

If Bobby enters the game with a three run lead and no one on base, as long as he doesn't walk anyone, or go 2-0,3-1 to every batter, he is going to be hard pressed to surrender a lead... and he has learned this.

Joe Borowski had zero stuff even in his most successful seasons. He just stayed ahead of batters and didn't make mistakes.

Oh yea, and this thread is awful and embarrasing.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice View Post
Jenks for Reyes? I'd have to think about that. If you need an immediate answer it would be no.

Jenks for Kinsler? I would definitely consider this move. Especially if Texas throws some more young pitching prospects our way then you got yourself a deal.

Jenks for Sizemore? Where do I sign the trading papers!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

If we were to trade the Jenks to the Mets, we might get back a combination of Aaron Heilman, Oliver Perez/John Maine, and some other crappy reliever they have. There is no way in hell we will get Jose Reyes. And no people, we won't get David Wright either.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:48 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukin13 View Post
I honestly believe Bobby's velocity is down by choice/design.

He has discovered that as a closer:

You usually enter the game with at the very least, the lead.

You usually enter the game with no runners on base.

With the luxury of having the lead and fresh slate allows closers to relax, and try to concentrate on not falling behind. Bobby has concentrated more on getting ahead of batters so he can utilize both his heat and hook.

If Bobby enters the game with a three run lead and no one on base, as long as he doesn't walk anyone, or go 2-0,3-1 to every batter, he is going to be hard pressed to surrender a lead... and he has learned this.

Joe Borowski had zero stuff even in his most successful seasons. He just stayed ahead of batters and didn't make mistakes.

Oh yea, and this thread is awful and embarrasing.
Great points. Agreed on all counts. Why hurl it 99 MPH three times to get a K when you can precisely locate a 92 MPH pitch once and induce a weak groundout?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Great points. Agreed on all counts. Why hurl it 99 MPH three times to get a K when you can precisely locate a 92 MPH pitch once and induce a weak groundout?
Exellent point, your my most trusted Sox Clergyman Frater (Sorry Da Rev )
Old 10-18-2008, 03:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
That depends on who's running, who's on base, what surface you're playing on, and who's playing defense. There are many cases where you'd rather have the flame thrower.