White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im skot View Post
His velocity appeared to be up at the end of the season, so who knows?

I'm okay with seeing the strikeout rate drop, as I think Bobby has simply learned how to pitch to contact.

Bobby's always been a big guy, so the weight "issue" is a non-existent one for me, personally.

Where do these concerns come from? The DL trip this year sucked, but he came back strong? Have folks in the organization mentioned anything about health concerns?

I think like Dan Mega mentioned, you need to get something in return while the arrow is still pointing up, in Jenks case I think the arrow is pointing sideways right now at best. If the possibilty was there to get a solid return for him, I would jump on it. Closers appear to flame out very quick in this game, more than any other position out there.

Last edited by LoveYourSuit; 10-17-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I think like Dan Mega mentioned, you need to get something in return while the arrow is sillt pointing up, in Jenks case I think the arrow is pointing sideways right now at best. If the possibilty was there to get a solid return for him, I would jump on it. Closers appear to flame out very quick in this game, more than any other position our there.
Fair point.

I like Bobby (as I imagine you do, too) and hope that he can stick around for a long time. But there's no way of knowing if he's going to be a Bobby Thigpen-type or a Rivera (highly-unlikely, I know) kind of guy.

This is why I'll never be a GM...
Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im skot View Post
Fair point.

I like Bobby (as I imagine you do, too) and hope that he can stick around for a long time. But there's no way of knowing if he's going to be a Bobby Thigpen-type or a Rivera (highly-unlikely, I know) kind of guy.

This is why I'll never be a GM...

Indeed. I love Bobby like the next guy here. But once those arbitration years kick in, you have to really start considering the value LONG TERM of the asset.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Are you serious?
Well, it sure wasn't in teal.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
Last year on the Score, Steve Stone said the Indians (who had a great team but a crappy bullpen) would give up anything for a closer, and they would trade Grady Sizemore straight up for Bobby Jenks. I don't think there was any way in hell the Indians would consider that trade, even if Grady wasn't going to a division rival. If Kenny was offered Sizemore for Bobby, he would have been long gone.
First off the Indians had one of the best bullpens in the league last season. Browski's was crap, but the Rafeal's were lights out last season.

There's is no GM in the world who would accept a Jenks/Sizemore deal.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
2. Signs of losing velocity
In the tie-break game against Minnesota, he was clocking 98-99. If anything, there are signs that it has come back. He just doesn't throw "all-out" on every fastball anymore; he's learned that there is more benefit to changing speeds and getting movement on the ball.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 PM
WSI High Priest

When in recent memory have we not been able to replace a closer? If Bobby can help us fill 2 other positions, why not? As much as we love him, he's good, not great, and at his peak value.

Closer may be the destination of Javier Vazquez, who can be counted on for one good inning, anyway. We're stuck with him, under any circumstances.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
When in recent memory have we not been able to replace a closer? If Bobby can help us fill 2 other positions, why not? As much as we love him, he's good, not great, and at his peak value.

Closer may be the destination of Javier Vazquez, who can be counted on for one good inning, anyway. We're stuck with him, under any circumstances.
Let us harken back to the Howry-Foulke-Koch days......
Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 PM
WSI Prelate

I personally wouldn't, but I can see where Kenny might deal him:

1. Linebrink and/or Dotel can close.

2. Hard throwers like Bobby usually have injury issues later in their careers.

3. Bobby's signed cheap for a few more years, and thus is likely at his potential highest trade value.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I personally wouldn't, but I can see where Kenny might deal him:

1. Linebrink and/or Dotel can close.
I would be interested in your recent evidence for said theory.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Not a chance.

Extremely reliable closer...with very little history of health problems. I don't care if he's heading into arbitration, etc...a solid closer makes a huge difference....and Bobby is one of the most reliable in the game.
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM
WSI Regular

Jenks for Reyes? I'd have to think about that. If you need an immediate answer it would be no.

Jenks for Kinsler? I would definitely consider this move. Especially if Texas throws some more young pitching prospects our way then you got yourself a deal.

Jenks for Sizemore? Where do I sign the trading papers!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Honestly, too many people get giddy over the possibility of getting a star player. Jenks is probably the 3rd or 4th best closer in the league, many teams would love to have a pitcher like him. I believe, even with the decrease in speed, that he is a better closer then he was a few years ago. Someone already mentioned this, but he CAN clock in at 98-99 if he wants to, he has just acquired more depth to his pitching arsenal. A cut fastball, a fastball, and a power curve. This guy has a closers arsenal, youngest and fastest to reach 100 saves. You guys are absolutely nuts, who are the White Sox going to put in there, do we have an arm like that to put into the closers role?

That alone will cost us a probable 10 games during the year... and all of you know THAT IS a big deal. Come on guys, pitching wins championships, not hitting and Jose Reyes.

What has Jose Reyes ever done to prove he is ready to take his team to the post season. Jenks is proven, he has been there and he rises up to the occasion. Look at what he did to the Twins, he embarrased them, and how can you forget that curve that caught Pena looking. THAT WAS FILTHY!

To all the haters out there, pay attention, Bobby Jenks still has a LOT of gas in the tank, and he can be and might be the best closer in the league in a short span of time. The only reason his saves aren't as high is because the Sox don't give him as many opportunities to go out there. Imagine if he played for the Angels and got the opportunities that K- Rod got.

You guys know what I am getting at, we let go oh him, and there will be a lot of close games lost and a lot of you guys saying "WHY THE HELL DID WE TRADE JENKS, YOU CAN'T WIN WITHOUT A SOLID CLOSER!!!!"

Keep him and close this thread, this is making me sick.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

In theory, trading Bobby makes sense.

In reality, that makes Dotel the closer.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Anyone who thinks Jenks for Jose Reyes isn't a good deal for the Sox is crazy.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."