White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:07 PM
New At WSI

Post Future of the Sox in Chicago

With the current state of baseball in this city severely leveraged to one side, do we think the Sox have a legitimate chance on staying in town for a while. While the current lease for the Sox at the Rate ends in 2029, it doesnít bode well for them when it come to securing a new home in this state. Illinois isnít going to foot the bill, private investors arenít going to line up to put money to support a franchise thatís fan base is clearly on the decline. And with more and more clubs getting newer stadiums, Angels are the latest, it doesnít bode well for this clubs future in town unless they are lining up something right now.

It would not surprise me that by 2025, the Charlotte White Sox are playing on opening day.

It was fun while it lasted
Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 PM
WSI Personality

Thatís over 10years away. A lot can happen between now and then.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 PM
WSI Prelate

1. Their lease is up in 2029, but that doesn't mean they need a new ballpark by then.

2. I can think of several other teams that would be more likely to move before the White Sox. Tampa Bay, Oakland, Miami. Cleveland has been to the playoffs 3 years in a row and made it to game 7 of the World Series in one of those years....and still can't crack 2 million in attendance. Are they going to move?

3. I haven't seen any news stories to indicate that the Angels are getting a new ballpark.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
1. Their lease is up in 2029, but that doesn't mean they need a new ballpark by then.

2. I can think of several other teams that would be more likely to move before the White Sox. Tampa Bay, Oakland, Miami. Cleveland has been to the playoffs 3 years in a row and made it to game 7 of the World Series in one of those years....and still can't crack 2 million in attendance. Are they going to move?

3. I haven't seen any news stories to indicate that the Angels are getting a new ballpark.
Same here on #3, Angels lease is also up in 2029 with a ten year option.
I've seen about 5 games out in Anaheim and the ballpark is in great shape and a nice place to watch a ballgame. Been to Dodger Stadium also and it's amazing how great shape it's in for a park that is 66 years old.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-17-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I don't see ANY evidence the Sox are planning on leaving and given it's 10 years away it's pure rumor mongering, IMO.

I'll leave this up for a while and won't allow people to intentionally troll it out, but I will say I think you're not just jumping the gun but jumping the shark.

Edit: I'm also moving this to the WTS forum because it's a rumor thread and nothing more.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-16-2018, 09:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

No but I did see something on Twitter while I was at the hospital getting my IV about them breaking or not renewing their lease with the stadium today. Wasn't able to read the story though for details.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
No but I did see something on Twitter while I was at the hospital getting my IV about them breaking or not renewing their lease with the stadium today. Wasn't able to read the story though for details.
I don't know what you saw but can't find anything when I search White Sox Lease Twitter:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=k5L...30.LK-pkPDlZfM

or White Sox Lease and click on news:

https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...w=1680&bih=908

If anyone else can find something please post it.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I don't know what you saw but can't find anything when I search White Sox Lease Twitter:

I think he meant the Angels.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ions/38177789/
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Given how team-friendly the Sox lease deal is, I could totally see the State of Illinois deciding to let the deal expire and tell the Sox, ďthe park is yours.Ē

I know less about the terms of the Bears/Soldier Field deal, but I could see the same thing happening there as well, and the state getting out of the stadium business entirely.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Lip is referring to the Angels opting out of their lease today. Here's a story about it:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la...016-story.html

But, as the article says, there is no new ballpark in the works for them at this time. The reason why they opted out today is because it was their last chance to do so until 2028.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
Quote:
Lip is referring to the Angels opting out of their lease today. Here's a story about it:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la...016-story.html

But, as the article says, there is no new ballpark in the works for them at this time. The reason why they opted out today is because it was their last chance to do so until 2028.
Thank you.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishelvis99 View Post
It would not surprise me that by 2025, the Charlotte White Sox are playing on opening day.

It was fun while it lasted
I know this thread is hanging by a ummm...thread but...

I don't mind speculation at times, if it is within reason. But **** statements like this just really get under my skin.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I know this thread is hanging by a ummm...thread but...

I don't mind speculation at times, if it is within reason. But **** statements like this just really get under my skin.
I agree and thank you for taking the high road. Comments like he one you mentioned come across as nothing but trolling.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:30 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

I've seen zero evidence of the White Sox leaving Chicago. Where is this coming from?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:41 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
I've seen zero evidence of the White Sox leaving Chicago. Where is this coming from?
Three places:
1) WSI
2) WSI
3) WSI