White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2017, 08:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

In the end it will be interesting to see what the Marlins have gotten for their dismantling compared to what Hahn got for the White Sox dismantling. I'm guessing Hahn comes out looking much, much better.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

In the short term Stanton joining Judge on the Yankees will make that line-up a monster. MLB Trade Rumors says that Starlin Castro is the veteran heading back to the Marlins with prospects. That opens the door for Gleyber Torres. A win for the Yankees there too.

In the long term they are going to regret taking on that contract. And I have no idea how Cashman gets them under the luxury tax now.

MLB Trade Rumors also makes the interesting point that this would almost certainly take the Yankees out of the Bryce Harper market next year. Bryce is a big loser in this deal.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 AM
WSI High Priest

I haven't checked the Nationals fan forum yet, but I bet they're ecstatic about this trade. Stanton is out of the division, and Bryce Harper is now more likely to re-sign.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
In the end it will be interesting to see what the Marlins have gotten for their dismantling compared to what Hahn got for the White Sox dismantling. I'm guessing Hahn comes out looking much, much better.
Absolutely. The Marlins were trading their star player to get his enormous contract off their books. The Sox traded their best players who were on very reasonable contracts and is why they got such large returns of top prospects.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I haven't checked the Nationals fan forum yet, but I bet they're ecstatic about this trade. Stanton is out of the division, and Bryce Harper is now more likely to re-sign.
Haven’t you heard? He’s going to sign with the Cubs. Right after they sign Pujols, Ohtani and trade for Stanton. Cubbies baby!
Old 12-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Yankees dump Castro who had about $36 million left on his deal, plus they are getting $35 million from the Marlins according to Heyman.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Well, i'm glad he's not going to the Cubs, but still: Another superstar finds his way into Yankee pinstripes.

Who are the Yankees giving up in terms of prospects? I hope they're shipping off some top talent to Miami.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
Haven’t you heard? He’s going to sign with the Cubs. Right after they sign Pujols, Ohtani and trade for Stanton. Cubbies baby!
Don't worry, the narrative that comes out of this trade from the local media is that this paves the way for Harper to join the beloved Cubbies next winter.

White Sox Baseball 2011-2016*
Passion!
Pride!
Tradition!

*except for 3 months in mid 2012 and 5 weeks in early 2016
Old 12-09-2017, 11:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White
In the long term they are going to regret taking on that contract. And I have no idea how Cashman gets them under the luxury tax now.
Stanton makes $25 million in 2018 and $26 million in 2019. Starlin Castro makes $10.8 million in 2018 and $11.8 million in 2019. Sending $14 million of the $35 million this year would represent a payroll wash for the Marlins and Yankees in 2018, and anything over $14 million would actually represent a slight raise in payroll for the Marlins and slight reduction for the Yankees 2018, but getting out of $265 million of future obligations may be worth it for the new Marlins ownership.

I’m not saying this will happen, but hypothetically, the wiggle room is there for the Yankees to actually reduce 2018 payroll in a salary dump trade. The Marlins also may welcome the opportunity to be free and clear of any future obligations to Stanton by paying the $35 million within two or three years.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
That's because the Sox dumped the vets with really bad contracts* earlier. Sale, Q, Eaton were worth a ton because they are not only talented but affordable. Stanton's contract really hurt his value.

* For example, Drake LaRoche, whose deal required us to keep his father on the roster as well.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:13 PM
WSI Guru

Older fans remember the K.C. A's being a major league "farm" team for the Yankees. (Roger Maris among a number of other guys who went on to star in New York). Now it's the Marlins.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

As always $$$ talks and BS walks and the Yankees always have the most money to be able to do things.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Older fans remember the K.C. A's being a major league "farm" team for the Yankees. (Roger Maris among a number of other guys who went on to star in New York). Now it's the Marlins.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

As always $$$ talks and BS walks and the Yankees always have the most money to be able to do things.
This is different. This isn’t the “big fish eats little fish” manipulation of the trade market that defined previous decades. This time, the player chose the Yankees. Both the Giants and the Cardinals reportedly had deals in place with the Marlins, but Stanton torpedoed those deals with his no-trade clause.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:55 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm happy because he didn't wind up in Boston or on the Northside. I watch the Marlins or Rays every night and I will miss watching Stanton's monster Home Run shots especially at Marlins Park, he's a beast in that place.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Marlins are getting the Yankees #9 prospect, who's not top 100, and Rafael Fevers cousin, who's just outside the Yanks top 30.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Rooting against the Yankees in the future will be so much fun.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004