White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:44 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,939
Default

What the Mariners did wasn't really all that different than what most NBA teams did in 2010. They took the shot and it didn't happen.
As for the Angels, this can only be a good thing for everyone. They've finally got a premium talent next to Trout, and a potential ace. Now if they can just get some relief pitchers, they will be in business.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,353
Default

Here is what I'm having trouble wrapping my hands around with this kid. He is a great Pitcher, hitter and fielder. Kinda like Babe Ruth was. He wants to play in the field, hit and pitch. Here is where it gets tricky:

If he is in the rotation, how can he play in the field or DH on his off days without ripping his overused arm and shoulder to shreds by mid June? I guess he would have to be either a setup guy out of the Bullpen or the Closer. But if he is the Closer, then he can't play in the field because he will have to be available to close.

I think the Rolling Stones put it best:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Here is what I'm having trouble wrapping my hands around with this kid. He is a great Pitcher, hitter and fielder. Kinda like Babe Ruth was. He wants to play in the field, hit and pitch. Here is where it gets tricky:

If he is in the rotation, how can he play in the field or DH on his off days without ripping his overused arm and shoulder to shreds by mid June? I guess he would have to be either a setup guy out of the Bullpen or the Closer. But if he is the Closer, then he can't play in the field because he will have to be available to close.

I think the Rolling Stones put it best:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k
I think he has to DH, you can't run the risk of him injuring his arm in the field. I thought, and I could be totally wrong, but I thought he DHed in Japan as well and didn't really play the outfield that often.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Here is what I'm having trouble wrapping my hands around with this kid. He is a great Pitcher, hitter and fielder. Kinda like Babe Ruth was. He wants to play in the field, hit and pitch. Here is where it gets tricky:

If he is in the rotation, how can he play in the field or DH on his off days without ripping his overused arm and shoulder to shreds by mid June? I guess he would have to be either a setup guy out of the Bullpen or the Closer. But if he is the Closer, then he can't play in the field because he will have to be available to close.

I think the Rolling Stones put it best:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k
He's going to have to DH. There is no way you put your ace pitcher in the outfield. Besides, the Angels have 3 outfielders and a 1B/DH already. Otani is going to DH and perhaps skip the day after he pitches or the day before... or both.

There was some surprise that there were teams that didn't bid on him but I'm not surprised. If you don't want to rearrange your team in order to accommodate that or risk paying for an ace pitcher that you will be risking even more than pitchers are already at risk....
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is online now
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,116
Default

Does that mean Pujols goes back to playing 1B most days so Ohtani can DH? He only played 6 games at first last season and was the DH for 143 games. I can't imagine the Angels letting their new ace pitcher run around in the outfield multiple times per week. Or maybe Ohtani can play first base instead? I'm excited to see this kid play and how this all plays out.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Jollyroger2 Jollyroger2 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
What the Mariners did wasn't really all that different than what most NBA teams did in 2010. They took the shot and it didn't happen.
As for the Angels, this can only be a good thing for everyone. They've finally got a premium talent next to Trout, and a potential ace. Now if they can just get some relief pitchers, they will be in business.
They need more than that. They were below .500 most of the year and finished 21 games behind Houston, who's bringing everyone on a loaded team back, will have Verlander for a full season and is looking to upgrade the DH spot and improve the bullpen as well.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-10-2017, 11:46 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,661
Default

Pujols is still signed for four more years? Holy moly
__________________
"Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be."
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-10-2017, 11:51 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
He's going to have to DH. There is no way you put your ace pitcher in the outfield. Besides, the Angels have 3 outfielders and a 1B/DH already. Otani is going to DH and perhaps skip the day after he pitches or the day before... or both...
Perhaps that was one of his demands? He did play right his first couple years in Japan and from footage I saw appeared to be well above average.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Pujols is still signed for four more years? Holy moly

That was a horrible contract from the the get-go. One of many floating around pro sports.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-11-2017, 10:40 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 5,775
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
If he is in the rotation, how can he play in the field or DH on his off days without ripping his overused arm and shoulder to shreds by mid June?
How did he do it in Japan?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
How did he do it in Japan?
Last year he played in 65 games and the most he has ever played in a year in japan was 104. Thats a big difference than doing it here.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
That was a horrible contract from the the get-go. One of many floating around pro sports.
Maybe currently the worst of them all. He's eclipsed 4 WAR only once since signing that deal. He was one of the overall worst players in baseball last season and is still owed $114 million through 2022. Yikes...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Last year he played in 65 games and the most he has ever played in a year in japan was 104. Thats a big difference than doing it here.
possible he could play about the same here. 26 starts on the mound, about 80 starts at dh or rf.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 32,191
Default

Also a story on CBS Sportsline today that his agent told all interested teams that he had one of those blood platelet injections in his pitching elbow in November. (Like the Yankees Tanaka when he was having issues...)

It may just be for precautionary reasons but we'll see.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:06 PM
MrX MrX is offline
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 4,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Also a story on CBS Sportsline today that his agent told all interested teams that he had one of those blood platelet injections in his pitching elbow in November. (Like the Yankees Tanaka when he was having issues...)

It may just be for precautionary reasons but we'll see.
Passan tweeted tonight that he has UCL damage. The Angels knew about it and think they can keep him healthy, but worse case scenario is he damages it further and needs Tommy John surgery.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.