White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2017, 04:44 PM
WSI High Priest

What the Mariners did wasn't really all that different than what most NBA teams did in 2010. They took the shot and it didn't happen.
As for the Angels, this can only be a good thing for everyone. They've finally got a premium talent next to Trout, and a potential ace. Now if they can just get some relief pitchers, they will be in business.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Here is what I'm having trouble wrapping my hands around with this kid. He is a great Pitcher, hitter and fielder. Kinda like Babe Ruth was. He wants to play in the field, hit and pitch. Here is where it gets tricky:

If he is in the rotation, how can he play in the field or DH on his off days without ripping his overused arm and shoulder to shreds by mid June? I guess he would have to be either a setup guy out of the Bullpen or the Closer. But if he is the Closer, then he can't play in the field because he will have to be available to close.

I think the Rolling Stones put it best:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k

Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Here is what I'm having trouble wrapping my hands around with this kid. He is a great Pitcher, hitter and fielder. Kinda like Babe Ruth was. He wants to play in the field, hit and pitch. Here is where it gets tricky:

If he is in the rotation, how can he play in the field or DH on his off days without ripping his overused arm and shoulder to shreds by mid June? I guess he would have to be either a setup guy out of the Bullpen or the Closer. But if he is the Closer, then he can't play in the field because he will have to be available to close.

I think the Rolling Stones put it best:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k
I think he has to DH, you can't run the risk of him injuring his arm in the field. I thought, and I could be totally wrong, but I thought he DHed in Japan as well and didn't really play the outfield that often.

Go Sox!!!
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

He's going to have to DH. There is no way you put your ace pitcher in the outfield. Besides, the Angels have 3 outfielders and a 1B/DH already. Otani is going to DH and perhaps skip the day after he pitches or the day before... or both.

There was some surprise that there were teams that didn't bid on him but I'm not surprised. If you don't want to rearrange your team in order to accommodate that or risk paying for an ace pitcher that you will be risking even more than pitchers are already at risk....
Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Does that mean Pujols goes back to playing 1B most days so Ohtani can DH? He only played 6 games at first last season and was the DH for 143 games. I can't imagine the Angels letting their new ace pitcher run around in the outfield multiple times per week. Or maybe Ohtani can play first base instead? I'm excited to see this kid play and how this all plays out.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
What the Mariners did wasn't really all that different than what most NBA teams did in 2010. They took the shot and it didn't happen.
As for the Angels, this can only be a good thing for everyone. They've finally got a premium talent next to Trout, and a potential ace. Now if they can just get some relief pitchers, they will be in business.
They need more than that. They were below .500 most of the year and finished 21 games behind Houston, who's bringing everyone on a loaded team back, will have Verlander for a full season and is looking to upgrade the DH spot and improve the bullpen as well.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Pujols is still signed for four more years? Holy moly
Old 12-10-2017, 11:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
He's going to have to DH. There is no way you put your ace pitcher in the outfield. Besides, the Angels have 3 outfielders and a 1B/DH already. Otani is going to DH and perhaps skip the day after he pitches or the day before... or both...
Perhaps that was one of his demands? He did play right his first couple years in Japan and from footage I saw appeared to be well above average.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Pujols is still signed for four more years? Holy moly

That was a horrible contract from the the get-go. One of many floating around pro sports.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-11-2017, 10:40 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
If he is in the rotation, how can he play in the field or DH on his off days without ripping his overused arm and shoulder to shreds by mid June?
How did he do it in Japan?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
How did he do it in Japan?
Last year he played in 65 games and the most he has ever played in a year in japan was 104. Thats a big difference than doing it here.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
That was a horrible contract from the the get-go. One of many floating around pro sports.
Maybe currently the worst of them all. He's eclipsed 4 WAR only once since signing that deal. He was one of the overall worst players in baseball last season and is still owed $114 million through 2022. Yikes...
Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Last year he played in 65 games and the most he has ever played in a year in japan was 104. Thats a big difference than doing it here.
possible he could play about the same here. 26 starts on the mound, about 80 starts at dh or rf.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM
WSI Guru

Also a story on CBS Sportsline today that his agent told all interested teams that he had one of those blood platelet injections in his pitching elbow in November. (Like the Yankees Tanaka when he was having issues...)

It may just be for precautionary reasons but we'll see.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Also a story on CBS Sportsline today that his agent told all interested teams that he had one of those blood platelet injections in his pitching elbow in November. (Like the Yankees Tanaka when he was having issues...)

It may just be for precautionary reasons but we'll see.
Passan tweeted tonight that he has UCL damage. The Angels knew about it and think they can keep him healthy, but worse case scenario is he damages it further and needs Tommy John surgery.