GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2019, 01:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Not at all. I love the guy. If he just cut into half those errors think about the player he'd be. He's had issues with throws all season it seems as if there is no improvement. Is he not getting instruction?

...and if I may be so bold if issues are not recognized and raised how do you expect improvement?
Quote:
What's really bizarre is that you'd both read in your own narratives to support your statements. No one implied that the organization looks for advice from this board. What I implied is that all season long TA has had issues with throwing the ball. I would expect that:

A) The organization would communicate the issue to the player.
B) Someone covering the team would ask the manager about this issue.
1) If you are not implying that fans could be the ones recognizing and raising issues, then...

2) Are you just wondering if the Sox are recognizing and raising those issues? If so...

3) Why?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 09-08-2019, 02:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

The more TA continues, the more one suspects that his efforts at the plate - despite the ridiculous BABIP, are closer to reality than not.

But let's not pile on Grzegorz for pointing out facts. TA has not taken the strides defensively to be a positive player on that side of the ball. It's something that will need to be addressed for TA to remain at short.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The more TA continues, the more one suspects that his efforts at the plate - despite the ridiculous BABIP, are closer to reality than not.

But let's not pile on Grzegorz for pointing out facts. TA has not taken the strides defensively to be a positive player on that side of the ball. It's something that will need to be addressed for TA to remain at short.
I actually saw something just last night gave me hope he is working to correct the mistakes. It was on the deep grounder in the hole hit by Pujols that Tim fielded behind Moncada crossing in front of him. He started to fire quickly then reloaded and came over the top ensuring a good throw to first and in plenty of time to get the slower runner. To me it looked like a change in his thinking. Of course it was just one play, but it was definitely something different and more thoughtful.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-08-2019, 03:18 PM
WSI Regular

I haven't done any research on this, but the obvious question that arises from the 2019 Tim Anderson season is, has anyone won their league's batting title and also led MLB in errors committed?
Old 09-08-2019, 07:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I actually saw something just last night gave me hope he is working to correct the mistakes. It was on the deep grounder in the hole hit by Pujols that Tim fielded behind Moncada crossing in front of him. He started to fire quickly then reloaded and came over the top ensuring a good throw to first and in plenty of time to get the slower runner. To me it looked like a change in his thinking. Of course it was just one play, but it was definitely something different and more thoughtful.

He's already got good range, so if he can learn to relax himself and make better decisions, he could certainly flip the script on this.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:15 PM
WSI Regular

I'll take TA's bat any day. Of course, his defense must improve but that is a lot easier to improve IMO than to develop a .300+ hitter.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Reality check: Twenty-five errors. Twelve of them throwing errors.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=11,d
Reality check: Errors have nothing to do with hitting.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Of course, errors and hitting are not related. The point is hitting is a much harder commodity to find. There are many players who can field but acquiring a player who can hit near or above .300 is not that easy.
What the Sox need to do is work Tim hard over the winter to develop his defensive skills. And drum into his head he is never to slide-arm a throw over to 1st baseball as long as he lives.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I haven't done any research on this, but the obvious question that arises from the 2019 Tim Anderson season is, has anyone won their league's batting title and also led MLB in errors committed?
It doesn't appear that it's ever happened in the same year. Julio Franco won a batting crown and led the league in errors in different years. The following White Sox shortstops have led the American League in errors (not just errors at shortstop, but had the most errors of any player in the league):

Tim Anderson
Alexei Ramirez
Mike Caruso
Jose Valentin
Alan Bannister
Luis Aparacio
Luke Appling (Five times)
Buck Weaver (Three times).

Marcus Semien, Orlando Cabrera and Bill Almon also led the league (as shortstops) in errors, but not when they played for the Sox.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 09-09-2019, 11:06 AM
WSI High Priest

I have so many fond memories of Jose Valentin making a bonehead play at SS that allowed several runs to score, only for him to make up for it the next inning by hitting a 3-run homer just barely fair down the right field line. And then as the fans went down the ramps after a White Sox winner, they would chant "Jose, Jose Jose Jose". Good times.

Anyway, back to Tim Anderson, he did not play last night. DJ LeMahieu did and went 1-for-4 keeping his average at .328
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-09-2019, 11:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The subject is about Tim Anderson. Not Tim Anderson's progression at the plate, not Tim Anderson's run at the AL batting average title and not Tim Anderson's OPS.

The fact that the subject is about Tim Anderson would leave open to inspection the other parts of his game.

To top it off you make the general statement that errors have nothing to do with hitting. That too would be subjective on your part.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The subject is about Tim Anderson. Not Tim Anderson's progression at the plate, not Tim Anderson's run at the AL batting average title and not Tim Anderson's OPS.

The fact that the subject is about Tim Anderson would leave open to inspection the other parts of his game.

To top it off you make the general statement that errors have nothing to do with hitting. That too would be subjective on your part.
Your post came in the middle of a smattering of posts about his run at the AL batting title, hence my retort. And seeing as how he leads the AL in hitting and errors that would sort of back up my assertion that errors have nothing to do with hitting. This does not mean he gets a pass for his defense, critique away as he does need to improve on his throws to first in particular.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Your post came in the middle of a smattering of posts about his run at the AL batting title, hence my retort. And seeing as how he leads the AL in hitting and errors that would sort of back up my assertion that errors have nothing to do with hitting. This does not mean he gets a pass for his defense, critique away as he does need to improve on his throws to first in particular.

Your point seems not valid to me. That TA has committed an extraordinary amount of errors and is getting worse defensively seems a valid counterpoint in evaluating his worth in juxtaposition to his batting average progression. Adding that it has nothing to do with his batting average simply didn't need to be said. I'm certain the original poster understands that, and really there was no reason to imply he meant it had anything to do with his batting average.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:42 PM
WSI High Priest

LeMahieu 1-for-5 tonight, batting .326
Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
LeMahieu 1-for-5 tonight, batting .326
Don't overlook Michael Brantley.