White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 02:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
We've got two of these already! Thyago Vieira and Jose Ruiz. Hopefully this guy is better.
Viera is gone. This guy sounds like his replacement.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
We've got two of these already! Thyago Vieira and Jose Ruiz. Hopefully this guy is better.
Vieira signed with a team in Japan.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Is Jimmy Cordero still on the team? He was hitting 100 mph last year and most the time couldn't hit the strike zone either.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:08 PM
WSI Personality

A report out of the Dominican Republic says that Marcell Ozuna is flying to Chicago to sign with the White Sox on Monday.

msn.com thought this newsworthy. Link.

ďIt's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd
Old 12-07-2019, 03:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Viera is gone. This guy sounds like his replacement.
Viera is gone?! I must have missed his Appreciation Thread!

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 12-07-2019, 03:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
A report out of the Dominican Republic says that Marcell Ozuna is flying to Chicago to sign with the White Sox on Monday.

I'm ready for this to be true..or ignoring Hector Gomez forever.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Please let this be untrue.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 PM
WSI Prelate

If we do sign him, there's reason to believe he can regain some of his former brilliance.

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/marcell...mpression=true
Old 12-07-2019, 11:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
If we do sign him, there's reason to believe he can regain some of his former brilliance.

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/marcell...mpression=true
There is also reason to believe that this will usher in 2011 B-list redux.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
There is also reason to believe that this will usher in 2011 B-list redux.
Really, though? I don’t want to get stuck with bad contracts either but ... really? You think Ozuna is going to kill us in some domino, precipitous fashion if he didn’t work out? Or do you think he’s a bad guy for the clubhouse?

He only costs money. I want us to spend money to get better, and even if chances are that he play ~ 800 OPS with 150 hits, that still makes us better than we are today. He’s certainly not blocking anyone and we don’t have to give up valuable farmhands to get him.

You can’t be a professional sports owner as long as JR has and not understand you have to eat your wallet some times, but gambles and losses are part of playing the game.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Really, though? I donít want to get stuck with bad contracts either but ... really? You think Ozuna is going to kill us in some domino, precipitous fashion if he didnít work out? Or do you think heís a bad guy for the clubhouse?

He only costs money. I want us to spend money to get better, and even if chances are that he play ~ 800 OPS with 150 hits, that still makes us better than we are today. Heís certainly not blocking anyone and we donít have to give up valuable farmhands to get him.

You canít be a professional sports owner as long as JR has and not understand you have to eat your wallet some times, but gambles and losses are part of playing the game.
Iíll take that team-sanctioned $120-130 payroll quote at face value. Having Ozuna eat up about 15% of that is bad resource allocation.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Iíll take that team-sanctioned $120-130 payroll quote at face value. Having Ozuna eat up about 15% of that is bad resource allocation.
I could be wrong, but I think that if he gets $20M it will be short term and we shouldn't care about giving out short term deals as long as it helps the club.

We need to get pitching but we still have to try to improve the total product with the open market as a resource for wherever we can fill a need.

BTW, I think that 130 is a good number for right now as long as we keep adding these vets on short-term deals. They expire right when we need to start spending big on extending guys and allow us to figure out any of this crop or the next drafts worth of OF spects without rushing them.

If the numbers are what you think, I wouldn't be a fan unless it's really short, but I don't think he gets ~$20.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think that if he gets $20M it will be short term and we shouldn't care about giving out short term deals as long as it helps the club.

We need to get pitching but we still have to try to improve the total product with the open market as a resource for wherever we can fill a need.

BTW, I think that 130 is a good number for right now as long as we keep adding these vets on short-term deals. They expire right when we need to start spending big on extending guys and allow us to figure out any of this crop or the next drafts worth of OF spects without rushing them.

If the numbers are what you think, I wouldn't be a fan unless it's really short, but I don't think he gets ~$20.
He's not a good outfielder. This club does not need another bad defensive outfielder picnicking on the OF grass.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

If true, i'm extremely disappointed . not a fan.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Is Jimmy Cordero still on the team? He was hitting 100 mph last year and most the time couldn't hit the strike zone either.
Cordero pitched really well for the Sox; but he doesn't strike out many. The bullpen had a lot of career years last year, and it appears that the Sox are counting on a repeat of that.
Closed Thread