Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2017, 01:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

This makes my blood boil, they literally put in maximum effort just to insult us. **** them in every possible way.

This is just more motivation for us to continue to make ourselves known in the sports world. We're not going away, ever, they have no choice but to get used to it.

Remember, when it comes to Chi town winning the WS in our lifetimes, we did it 1st, and we did it better. 11-1.

The fight continues...
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:19 AM
WSI Prelate

AJ weighs in on the latest slight:
https://sports.yahoo.com/2005-white-...233021720.html
Old 10-27-2017, 08:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
The forgetting '05 phenomena is a weird one. Part of me thinks it's because of the personnel. That team wasn't exactly full of household names. Probably the player with the greatest 'q-rating' was almost universally loathed by opposing fan bases. The other reason is the opponent. The Astros just weren't a super popular team like they are now.

Not that it matters, but if this current crop of players lead the Sox to another WS, I think they'll do so with a little more fanfare.
I really think that it wasn't our personnel...for the ESPN guys it's personal! We beat their beloved Red Sox 04 World series team, so they will exclude the White Sox championship so people forget the Red Sox got beat so thoroughly that year by a clearly better team. But..but..but...we have Manny and Big Papi!

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 10-27-2017, 09:33 AM
WSI Regular

This is a trend. When the same "mistake" happens over and over again, you can't help but wonder if this is intentional. Still, many people around baseball (even fans of the Cubs) quickly called them out on it. Rightfully so; it isn't fair for any team's accomplishments to be forgotten.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
This is a trend. When the same "mistake" happens over and over again, you can't help but wonder if this is intentional.
It's intentional and they're getting the exact response they want....

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-27-2017, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Agree it's intentional. One of many reasons not to support their brand.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I really think that it wasn't our personnel...for the ESPN guys it's personal! We beat their beloved Red Sox 04 World series team, so they will exclude the White Sox championship so people forget the Red Sox got beat so thoroughly that year by a clearly better team. But..but..but...we have Manny and Big Papi!
The ALDS with Chris Berman was particularly laughable. He sounded so unprepared. "Next up is Joe...uhhh...Crede? The, uh, (papers rustling sound) third baseman for Chicago...". And: "Neal Cotts is a local boy because he's from Belleville..."

(Belleville is down by St. Louis)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:05 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
A.J. is a very wise man.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Geoff Blum was on Waddle and Silvy yesterday and also thought it was unfortunate that the team is so easily forgotten. It further baffled him how people being hyped up on the Cubs played a factor in all this. But he also said at the end of the day, they still won it all and that's really all that matters.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:32 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
The ALDS with Chris Berman was particularly laughable. He sounded so unprepared. "Next up is Joe...uhhh...Crede? The, uh, (papers rustling sound) third baseman for Chicago...". And: "Neal Cotts is a local boy because he's from Belleville..."

(Belleville is down by St. Louis)
I was listening to Waddle and Silvy the other day when Michael Wilbon was on and talking about the way Easterners think about the Midwest. Basically, we're another country to them. We're not thought about, they don't care, we're irrelevant.

In my opinion, the only time they do care..is when they have no choice because of what they might consider something extaordinary, such as when the Bulls had Michael Jordan, the Cubs, because of how pathetic they were for many lifetimes, the '85 Bears, etc.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
I was listening to Waddle and Silvy the other day when Michael Wilbon was on and talking about the way Easterners think about the Midwest. Basically, we're another country to them. We're not thought about, they don't care, we're irrelevant.
They simply consider the Midwest "fly-over" country on their way to the West Coast.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:03 PM
WSI Personality

It just isn't acceptable.

Look, the 2005 White Sox don't deserve to be fawned over like they're the greatest team of all time. And I don't think that anybody here wants or would ever ask for that.

BUT:

People fawn over how special the 04 Red Sox were for ending an 86 year drought, and the 16 Cubs for bringing a championship to Chicago.

The 05 White Sox did both of those things. They ended a longer drought than the 04 Red Sox, and beat the Cubs to bringing Chicago a championship--and were far more dominant in the process.

If you're going to fawn over those other teams, then the 05 White Sox deserve just as much credit and respect--really, more, if anything. That's just a fact.

Trying to pretend they never happened is just reprehensible. Whether people like it or not, it took place, and deserves credit. Nobody is asking for the over the top insanity the Red Sox and Cubs get, but there's a big difference between that and trying to will the 05 White Sox out of existence. The fact that is seems like it's asking a lot just to have people remember they exist is ludicrous.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:24 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

Look, the 2005 White Sox don't deserve to be fawned over like they're the greatest team of all time.
Why not? Probably for the same reasons they constantly get stiffed by the national media.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post

In my opinion, the only time they do care..is when they have no choice because of what they might consider something extaordinary, such as when the Bulls had Michael Jordan, the Cubs, because of how pathetic they were for many lifetimes, the '85 Bears, etc.
This is true for the most part. In a broad sense, people are more self-absorbed out here. Unless someone or thing is a media darling, they won’t be on their radars. That said, what ESPN is doing is journalistic malpractice. No excusing it, really.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
This is true for the most part. In a broad sense, people are more self-absorbed out here. Unless someone or thing is a media darling, they won’t be on their radars. That said, what ESPN is doing is journalistic malpractice. No excusing it, really.
Yes, I agree. It is malpractice. Pure laziness.