White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:09 PM
WSI Guru

Looks like the Cubs TV network is happening after next year.
http://awfulannouncing.com/local-net...medium=twitter
Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Looks like the Cubs TV network is happening after next year.
http://awfulannouncing.com/local-net...medium=twitter

As the content landscape becomes more disrupted, it will be interesting to see who they're going to sell this to, and if that provider is going to make any money.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L

Aug 13 (2) W

Next Game Aug 26
Old 08-28-2018, 01:16 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I was always a White Sox fan (thanks grandpa) but when I was a kid I liked them a lot. Especially Don Kessinger. What changed me most was the fan base.
I was a fan of both when I was a little kid, back in the days when only the team that was home was on WGN, although I preferred the Sox. I mean, c'mon, the Sox had Nellie, Looie, Minnie, Landis, Lollar, Pierce...

The Cubs had, well, they had Ernie.

I think it was when I was ten years old, with the run to the World Series (I turned ten in 1959) that the Cubs completely left my radar.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
As the content landscape becomes more disrupted, it will be interesting to see who they're going to sell this to, and if that provider is going to make any money.
When the Dodgers did this a few years ago, they got an $8 billion deal but Charter lost a LOT of money on the deal and most people in LA can't even watch the Dodgers.

This article from the LA Times said the Dodgers deal was a turning point and that teams have been much more cautious in negotiating new TV deals and trying to increase their fees.

Now, if the Cubs can figure out a way to ensure that fans can at least stream their games for a nominal fee, it's a different story.

Here's the LA Times story: http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...615-story.html

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:32 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post

Quote:
“Other teams looked at the situation and said, ‘Hey, this might not work. We could make a lot of money, but we could lose the next generation of fans.’ They are starting to look at the bigger picture.”

How great would it be if the Cubs misread the TV market in 2020 worse than the way the Sox misread the TV market in 1982.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
How great would it be if the Cubs misread the TV market in 2020 worse than the way the Sox misread the TV market in 1982.
I can’t imagine it would be THAT bad. Chicago wasn’t even wired for cable when the Sox did that (plus it was a premium channel that cost like $50 a month in today’s dollars).

Still, if the Cubs channel is hard to get for viewers and they aren’t readily available on streaming, it will be interesting to see what happens with fans in the city, especially if their window is closing as the White Sox opens.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Or when the Allyn's misread it in the late 1960's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B359hCC3HQU
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-29-2018, 12:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Cubs payroll set to soar with potential new TV deal

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I know the Red Sox and the Yankees make a ton from owning their own networks but NESN dates back to 1984 and YES was launched in 2002, which were much more favorable eras for a team to launch its own cable network. Charter lost a billion dollars when they partnered with the Dodgers. So companies might not be quite as willing to partner with the Cubs, but the Cubs could potentially learn from the Dodgers mistake and make their channel easier to access for in market streaming purposes.

My point is that it is not 100 percent certain that this will be a great deal for the Cubs in the long term (or the short term).
Old 08-29-2018, 03:30 PM
WSI High Priest

What time did the DH with the Mets start today? The first game went 11 innings and they are in the 6th inning of game 2. Its now 4:30 EST and 3:30 in Chicago.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
What time did the DH with the Mets start today? The first game went 11 innings and they are in the 6th inning of game 2. Its now 4:30 EST and 3:30 in Chicago.
Game 1 was finishing up the suspended game from last night. Picked up in the top of the 10th at noon today. 2nd game started at 1:30.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Game 1 was finishing up the suspended game from last night. Picked up in the top of the 10th at noon today. 2nd game started at 1:30.
Thanks, the local paper this AM said last nights game was a rainout, so I figured they must have started the DH this morning around 11 AM. Just goes to prove you can't believe what you read in the papers.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Or when the Allyn's misread it in the late 1960's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B359hCC3HQU
Allyn didn't really misread the market, he misread that hardly anyone in the Chicago area had a TV that had UHF channels as the Sox moved from VHF WGN to UHF WFLD Starting in 1968. That was was number 1 in chronological order of the many off the field bad moves that led to the next few generations growing up to be Cub fans.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-29-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I was a fan of both when I was a little kid, back in the days when only the team that was home was on WGN, although I preferred the Sox. I mean, c'mon, the Sox had Nellie, Looie, Minnie, Landis, Lollar, Pierce...

The Cubs had, well, they had Ernie.

I think it was when I was ten years old, with the run to the World Series (I turned ten in 1959) that the Cubs completely left my radar.
I was 4 years old in 1950 and we moved from the Southside to an apartment 3 blocks north of Wrigley. My mom took me to a rodeo at Wrigley starring the Cisco Kid and Poncho, I remember asking my mom "what is this place" and she said its the Cubs baseball park. I said to her "do you like the Cubs" and she said no, we're White Sox fans, the rest is history.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-29-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:32 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
My point is that it is not 100 percent certain that this will be a great deal for the Cubs in the long term (or the short term).

I suspect the disruption in the content delivery industry that is only accelerating will put some financial pressure on the Cubs. If they are unwilling to partner with a bunch of content providers there is likely to be a much smaller audience than they are anticipating now.
Closed Thread