White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 02:56 PM
WSI Guru

So typical Cubs to not allow the Sox even one day when they're the dominant story in Chicago. You know that's going to happen unless Kopech throws a no-hitter tonight.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Yeah, they brought an unlikeable type on board, though I was fine with his performance in October 2015.
That was definitely a lot of fun--let's hope the juice in his playoff bat is all drained.

Bryant's injury probably played a part but I'd guess it has as much to do with Russell being a black hole with the bat this year. They need all the firepower they can get, I'd be really nervous about having Cole Hamels as your playoff ace in the year 2018.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:29 PM
WSI High Priest

I can't forget that one of the great flops in Cubs history was named Danny Murphy, but this guy is an OK 2B and a professional hitter. A steal at the price they paid. It's more about Bryant than Russell, IMO. Credit to the hated Cubs FO.

I think Danny (above) was once a White Sox after his Cubs days.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:40 PM
WSI Personality

Now its being reported that Darvish is out for the season with a "stress reaction in right elbow."

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
That was definitely a lot of fun--let's hope the juice in his playoff bat is all drained.

But Murphy doesn't get to bat against Cub pitching anymore. But I sure hope he isn't the answer to Bryant's extended DL stint.

Ah, another day, another run. Thank you, Detroit!

SMO
Old 08-21-2018, 09:47 PM
WSI Guru

This reminds me of some of those 2006/2007 pickups the Sox made. You start trying to supplement the team with guys on perhaps the downhill side of their career, name still looks good, team is banged up, doesn’t quite fit the mold of what won it. Your table is ready, Darin Erstad and Mike MacDougal.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
This reminds me of some of those 2006/2007 pickups the Sox made. You start trying to supplement the team with guys on perhaps the downhill side of their career, name still looks good, team is banged up, doesn’t quite fit the mold of what won it. Your table is ready, Darin Erstad and Mike MacDougal.
Murphy still has got it. He is a very dangerous hitter, really good pickup by the Cubs.

How do the Sox get a top 30 prospect from the Brewers for Soria, but the Nats get a complete nobody minor leaguer for Murphy? He is a middle of the order hitter, even on a contender. That PTBNL better be the cubs 1st round pick this year or something.

I can't wait for the Sox to be back in the hunt. Quality MLB rental players are being traded for literally nothing nowadays. Seems like most deals only cost prospects outside of team's top 30, just crazy. Teams out of the hunt appear to only care about salary relief on rentals.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres
How do the Sox get a top 30 prospect from the Brewers for Soria, but the Nats get a complete nobody minor leaguer for Murphy? He is a middle of the order hitter, even on a contender. That PTBNL better be the cubs 1st round pick this year or something.
The Nats really had no choice. It was either take the offer the Cubs made or get nothing. My question is why the stingy-ass Dodgers refused to capitalize on being awarded a waiver claim on Bryce Harper. Give up something better than the compensatory pick and make the damn move.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The Nats really had no choice. It was either take the offer the Cubs made or get nothing. My question is why the stingy-ass Dodgers refused to capitalize on being awarded a waiver claim on Bryce Harper. Give up something better than the compensatory pick and make the damn move.
I would way rather get nothing and keep him. Just continue to play out the season with your team you started the year with as favorites. The Nats have a really good roster and the Phils/Braves are young and inexperienced for the most part.

Yeah i wonder what the Dodgers offered. They definitely had the pieces to make the Nats really consider it.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres
I would way rather get nothing and keep him. Just continue to play out the season with your team you started the year with as favorites. The Nats have a really good roster and the Phils/Braves are young and inexperienced for the most part.

Yeah i wonder what the Dodgers offered. They definitely had the pieces to make the Nats really consider it.
Did these moves get Washington under the luxury tax level? They saved about $4 million total by losing Murphy and Adams.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Sure I have. Cub are the most awful fans in the sport. They have been the most awful fans in the sport for as long as I can remember. That doesn’t make Cardinal fans good, though.
This is truth. However, I still take great pleasure in watching the Cubs Epic Fail all over themselves.
On to other flubbie news, Russell to the DL with Bustitis.(yes that was spelled correctly-figure out what I meant, you can do it)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:56 PM
WSI Prelate

As I've said, I don't harbor the ill feelings toward the Cubs that I used to many moons ago, but man, how awesome would it be if Milwaukee and St. Louis both somehow passed them?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-26-2018, 04:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
As I've said, I don't harbor the ill feelings toward the Cubs that I used to many moons ago, but man, how awesome would it be if Milwaukee and St. Louis both somehow passed them?
The Brew Crew have 6 games with the Cubs and the Redbirds have 3 with the Flubs, the only way I see the Cubs losing the division is that they lose most of those games or have a 1969 type complete meltdown. BTW, I've had ill feeling towards the Cubs forever.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-26-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The Brew Crew have 6 games with the Cubs and the Redbirds have 3 with the Flubs, the only way I see the Cubs losing the division is that they lose most of those games or have a 1969 type complete meltdown. BTW, I've had ill feeling towards the Cubs forever.
They're looking real good right now. It'd take a miracle. All the sweeter if it happens, true.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I was always a White Sox fan (thanks grandpa) but when I was a kid I liked them a lot. Especially Don Kessinger. What changed me most was the fan base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
They're looking real good right now. It'd take a miracle. All the sweeter if it happens, true.

I still believe the Cubs lack the pitching to win the league crown not to mention the WS.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Closed Thread