Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 09:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I donít think it will make much difference. Eloyís just a bad outfielder. Fortunately, it is not that big a problem yet. Even with Robert looking like he will be up here next April at the latest, we still would need to find two more outfielders before Eloy ends up at DH. Maybe we sign a free agent, and maybe Blake Rutherford elevates his game to a point where he earns a midseason 2021 call-up, but that still leaves Eloy in LF for the duration of 2020 at a minimum.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. Maybe it turns that we find 2 good OFs (internally and/or externally) to go along with Robert and the best result is to move Eloy to DH. Or it could also turn out that Gavin Sheets and Andrew Vaughn become solid major league hitters and they lock up 1B/DH. Maybe, maybe, maybe.....we'll see how things play out over the next year or so.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:54 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Mas Cordells!
Cordero, not Cordell.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Cordero, not Cordell.
Well, hellís bells. Thatís what I get for believing what I read on the internet.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Tim Anderson starts his rehab assignment with Charlotte tomorrow.
https://670thescore.radio.com/white-...y-ankle-sprain
Old 07-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Just announced. Eloy reinstated and Rondon DFA.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-28-2019, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Eloy DH batting 5th!
Old 07-28-2019, 03:59 PM
WSI Prelate

God, I cannot remember a worse season pitching wise than the Sox have had in 2019. I mean even in 2004 when they were trotting out the likes of Danny Wright / Neal Cotts / Scott Schoeneweis to start, I don't remember it ever being this embarrassing. I mean Dylan Covey was pulled in the 1st after just 14 pitches and 5 runs given up! That has to be some kind of record.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Covey was sent down after the game. No corresponding move has been made yet. Might call up a reliever and move Detweiler back into the rotation. Not much else left unless/until Banuelos comes back if he ever does.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
God, I cannot remember a worse season pitching wise than the Sox have had in 2019. I mean even in 2004 when they were trotting out the likes of Danny Wright / Neal Cotts / Scott Schoeneweis to start, I don't remember it ever being this embarrassing. I mean Dylan Covey was pulled in the 1st after just 14 pitches and 5 runs given up! That has to be some kind of record.

It's not a record. Nolan Ryan was pulled from a game after facing one hitter on June 30, 1976 in Old Comiskey. History doesn't record how many pitches it took to get Chet Lemon to ground out. Ryan wasn't injured, but it wasn't his turn in the rotation. Manager Dick Williams, widely regarded as a baseball genius, had written Ryan's name in the lineup card by mistake and pulled him after the first hitter.

Fifty years ago, it used to be more common to see pitchers pulled without retiring a hitter. I'm sure I've seen starters pulled after facing fewer than five hitters with no one paying attention to the pitch count.

The last game I remember where a starter was pulled without retiring a hitter was Wilbur Wood in the first game of a doubleheader in 1973. White they didn't keep track of the number of pitches he threw, he faced seven hitters and there was a strikeout (that got away from Ed Herrmann for a leadoff baserunner) and a walk to the second hitter. Wood certainly threw more than 14 pitches, and he started and lost the second game of the twi-night doubleheader as well.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Another gem I remember:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99806220.shtml

If I remember right he said he was too amped up and threw nothing but high fastballs for balls. Sounds kind of like Coveyís start against Oakland.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Scott Schoenweiss had a great half-season for the Sox. Don't you dare put him in the same sentence as Danny Wright.

I don't remember exactly when the "Great Scott!" run was (2003 or 2004?) but I vividly recall attending a game against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim where Scott not only shut down the Angels, but beat the opposing starter John Lackey, the very man who had beaten out Scott for a spot in the Angels rotation. It was vindication.

Also I was at the Arnie Munoz debut game, which was so awful that it routinely comes up in "worst MLB starts of all time" articles.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-29-2019, 07:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It's not a record. Nolan Ryan was pulled from a game after facing one hitter on June 30, 1976 in Old Comiskey. History doesn't record how many pitches it took to get Chet Lemon to ground out. Ryan wasn't injured, but it wasn't his turn in the rotation. Manager Dick Williams, widely regarded as a baseball genius, had written Ryan's name in the lineup card by mistake and pulled him after the first hitter.

Fifty years ago, it used to be more common to see pitchers pulled without retiring a hitter. I'm sure I've seen starters pulled after facing fewer than five hitters with no one paying attention to the pitch count.

The last game I remember where a starter was pulled without retiring a hitter was Wilbur Wood in the first game of a doubleheader in 1973. White they didn't keep track of the number of pitches he threw, he faced seven hitters and there was a strikeout (that got away from Ed Herrmann for a leadoff baserunner) and a walk to the second hitter. Wood certainly threw more than 14 pitches, and he started and lost the second game of the twi-night doubleheader as well.
I was at that game. The only time I ever got to see Ryan pitch live. He was practically lobbing the pitches up there, but still retired Lemon.

Last edited by Dick Allen; 07-29-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Add word
Old 07-29-2019, 08:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post

I was at that game. The only time I ever got to see Ryan pitch live. He was practically lobbing the pitches up there, but still retired Lemon.
Ryan recorded an out. Covey didnít. Ryan had a longer outing than Covey.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post

The only time I ever got to see Ryan pitch live.

Nothing to do with Covey, but i saw Ryan pitch several times when i lived in Irving, Tx . including the game against the White Sox, when Ventura charged the mound, and his 5000th strikeout game against the A's, in old Arlington Stadium . my favorite though, was the first game of a double header . i sat right behind home plate and since the park was almost half empty, the sound was carrying . man, no one could pop a mitt like Nolan Ryan.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Nothing to do with Covey, but i saw Ryan pitch several times when i lived in Irving, Tx . including the game against the White Sox, when Ventura charged the mound, and his 5000th strikeout game against the A's, in old Arlington Stadium . my favorite though, was the first game of a double header . i sat right behind home plate and since the park was almost half empty, the sound was carrying . man, no one could pop a mitt like Nolan Ryan.
I saw the Ryan Express in his next to last season at Comiskey. It was one week after he one hit the Sox at Texas (Ventura bloop single).

My friend and I went to watch him warm up before the game. The bullpen, for you younger ones who never were there, was in Center Field. A bunch of us were watch Ryan and it was nothing special. Then the Usher came along and told us to take our seats for the National Anthem. As everyone was walking up the Bleachers to get a seat we suddenly heard a sound that sounded like an 18 wheeler blowing out all 18 tires at once. Everyone jumped and turned around just in time to see a fain white blur go into the Catcher's mitt followed by the same explosion. It was a sight to behold.

During the game, my friend and I were walking about and found ourselves behind Home when the Sox were up. Ryan was pitching with complete ease and the radar guns the scouts' had (back then those really were scout seats!) read 104, 103. You would have never guessed looking at the effortlessness in Ryan's delivery. He was 40+ years old at the time!

Closed Thread