White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM
WSI Guru

Default 1994 MLB playoffs simulation

Everyone check out the podcast my friend and I did a month ago of what might have happened had the 1994 postseason happened.
http://confessionsofasportscaster.bl...-1994-mlb.html
Old 08-27-2018, 03:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Very interesting. One of my greatest sporting disappointments is the 1994 Players Strike. I thought the Sox had a really complete team and could get to the World Series that year. Of course anything can happen in the Playoffs and there are no guarantees.

I was so hurt by the cancellation of the 1994 season and post season, I boycotted in 1995 (only attended a couple of games, I had a left over credit on my season tix and I wanted to keep my consecutive streak of attending Opening Day alive and I wanted to see Cal Ripken play that year as well) I listened to the game on the radio the night Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak record, but I didn't watch the ESPN Broadcast that night.

I pretty much stayed away in '96 as well and didn't start going back to the Park on a regular basis until 1997. By 2000 all was forgiven in my eyes after we captured the Central Div Championship by complete surprise. I don't anybody saw that coming before the season started.

But to this day, I still think of the 1994 season and what might have been. The Sox and Indians locked in a great Pennant Race. Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr having Triple Crown type years, Tony Gwynn flirting with .400 and Matt Williams challenging the Babe. *(and Maris)

Last edited by Wsoxmike59; 08-27-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: caught a mistake.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:17 PM
WSI High Priest

The 94 team was the best Sox team in my lifetime. Interesting that they think Atlanta would have beaten Montreal for the NL pennant. That Montreal team was stacked.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 08-29-2018, 11:22 AM
WSI Personality

I actually shed a tear when I found out that they were cancelling the season. I had lost my job earlier in the summer and was having a hard time finding a new one. Baseball was keeping me going. I couldn't believe that the season was actually being cancelled.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:47 AM
WSI High Priest

McDowell, Alvarez, Fernandez, Bere. Helluva group of young pitchers.

Better or worse than Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, and Lopez?

I hope and believe that our current group is better.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 09-01-2018, 08:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
Very interesting. One of my greatest sporting disappointments is the 1994 Players Strike. I thought the Sox had a really complete team and could get to the World Series that year. Of course anything can happen in the Playoffs and there are no guarantees.

I was so hurt by the cancellation of the 1994 season and post season, I boycotted in 1995 (only attended a couple of games, I had a left over credit on my season tix and I wanted to keep my consecutive streak of attending Opening Day alive and I wanted to see Cal Ripken play that year as well) I listened to the game on the radio the night Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak record, but I didn't watch the ESPN Broadcast that night.

I pretty much stayed away in '96 as well and didn't start going back to the Park on a regular basis until 1997. By 2000 all was forgiven in my eyes after we captured the Central Div Championship by complete surprise. I don't anybody saw that coming before the season started.

But to this day, I still think of the 1994 season and what might have been. The Sox and Indians locked in a great Pennant Race. Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr having Triple Crown type years, Tony Gwynn flirting with .400 and Matt Williams challenging the Babe. *(and Maris)
I’m still of the belief that once they went on strike, Ripken’s consecutive games streak should have ended.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post

The former are better than the latter based on empirical evidence.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-01-2018, 12:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
The former are better than the latter based on empirical evidence.
Agreed. It’s also possible that the current group could eventually outshine the 93/94 quartet; their talent - while yet unrealized - is immense.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post

I hope and believe that our current group is better.
I'm sorry, but this is nuts.

Carlos Rodon is 25. He's had a nice year this year. He's a career .500 pitcher who would be a #4 pitcher at best on a playoff team. Jack McDowell was 25 in 1991. He was 17-10 that year, an all-star, pitched 15 complete games, and would be the best pitcher in the American League the next 2 years.

Lucas Giolito is 23. He's pitched better lately. He's also 10-10 and leads the AL in walks and earned runs allowed. He has a -0.6 WAR. Alex Fernandez was 23 in 1993. He was 18-9, pitched 247 innings and only walked 67 batters, and was a 5+ WAR player.

Michael Kopech is 22 and has thrown 14 innings in the majors. He won't throw another pitch in MLB until he is 24 if he is lucky. Jason Bere was a 22 year old rookie in 1992 who would finish 2nd in RoY voting. The next year he would go 12-2 and be an All-Star.

Reynaldo Lopez is 24. He is 5-9 with a 4+ ERA and has allowed 24 HRs this year. Wilson Alvarez was 24 in 1994. He was an All-Star that year. He was coming off a 15-8 season and a sub 3 ERA in his 23 year old season.

Rodon/Giolito/Kopech/Lopez is a group of nice young pitchers. To think they are better than the best group of young pitchers the White Sox have ever had, and a group that I would put up there with Contreras/Buehrle/Garland/Garcia, is to not understand the history of the franchise.