White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Dodgers and Brewers basically rebuild their infields.

The Phillies jump right in with Ramos.

The Pirates get Archer.

The NL is going to be fun!
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-31-2018, 06:43 PM
WSI Guru

Someday very soon I hope to be excited on deadline day because the Sox acquired top players who can help them in their playoff push.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Someday very soon I hope to be excited on deadline day because the Sox acquired top players who can help them in their playoff push.
Yup! The formula might have run out of gas by 2013, but one of the highlights of growing up watching those 2000s teams be consistently competitive was always the deadline. I remember vividly the excitement of getting back Carl Everett in 2004, and listening to The Score with bated breath to find out who we were giving up for Griffey Jr. and whether Peavy would wave his NTC the second time around.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Hopefully some of the teams that missed out on starting pitching today will develop some interest in Shields as a waiver deal acquisition. One month of Shields at slightly under $2 million may be easier for a contender to absorb than two months at slightly under $4 million.

Or perhaps all this “mentor” stuff with Abreu also applies to Shields, and the team plans to pick up his 2019 option...
Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Hopefully some of the teams that missed out on starting pitching today will develop some interest in Shields as a waiver deal acquisition. One month of Shields at slightly under $2 million may be easier for a contender to absorb than two months at slightly under $4 million.

Or perhaps all this “mentor” stuff with Abreu also applies to Shields, and the team plans to pick up his 2019 option...
I am surprised nobody wanted Shields. Of course he might be more useful to another bottom-feeder (Baltimore?) that is desperate for someone to eat innings, and in that case today's deadline doesn't matter. Even Baltimore has enough prospects for Shields, that much is certain.

Edit: Maybe KC makes the most sense. They have the highest team ERA in baseball, he had some good years for them, they got a good look at him tonight. I'm calling it...Sox will deal Shields to KC for a low-A pitcher.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 07-31-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 PM

By the way, Pittsburgh dealt Meadows + Glasnow for Archer. Meadows was supposedly untouchable for Quintana. Sox are certainly happy they waited and got Jimenez + Cease instead. Did the Pirates play their cards right?
Old 07-31-2018, 11:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I am surprised nobody wanted Shields. Of course he might be more useful to another bottom-feeder (Baltimore?) that is desperate for someone to eat innings, and in that case today's deadline doesn't matter. Even Baltimore has enough prospects for Shields, that much is certain.

Edit: Maybe KC makes the most sense. They have the highest team ERA in baseball, he had some good years for them, they got a good look at him tonight. I'm calling it...Sox will deal Shields to KC for a low-A pitcher.
Hoping. Of course they could get a bozo from AAA for next to nothing and still lose the games.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I think that Archer is overrated at this point, 3 straight seasons with ERAs over 4.00. However, he has been healthy and going to the NL where he should do well. But the return isn't that amazing. Glasnow has a big arm, but makes Carson Fulmer look like Maddux. He needs to do something drastic to get those walks down. Also Meadows has lost a lot of value in the last 2 years. He's be decent in his short stint with the Pirates this year, but hardly a lock to be an above .800 OPS player going forward. I think the Rays waited a year too late to trade Archer.
I looked at Meadows and Glasnow a little further and I'm retracting my overpay statement. Both of those prospects are screaming Bust. Archer is still an average to above average pitcher, so this trade makes way more sense now.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
By the way, Pittsburgh dealt Meadows + Glasnow for Archer. Meadows was supposedly untouchable for Quintana. Sox are certainly happy they waited and got Jimenez + Cease instead. Did the Pirates play their cards right?
yes because Archer is probably a lot better than Quintana is now so they are better off with Archer than Quintana.

On the other hand, they could have gotten more for Meadows and Glasnow a year ago....but the Pirates need to use their prospects to survive.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
yes because Archer is probably a lot better than Quintana is now
They're comparable. I wouldn't say Archer is a lot better. He's having a bad season, but less bad than Quintana.

Both are 29 going on 30.

Archer career - 3.69 ERA, 3.48 FIP, 1.230 WHIP, 9.7 K/9.
This season - 4.31 ERA, 3.62 FIP, 1.385 WHIP, 9.6 K/9.

Quintana career - 3.59, 3.61, 1.255, 8.7.
This season - 4.26, 4.69, 1.421, 7.9.

Archer shows up at #10 on B-R's list of pitchers similar to Q; Q shows up at #6 on Archer's list.

I don't think the Pirates did any better by landing Archer. Both Glasnow and Meadows lost value, so it was easier for them to say yes. I think it's a wash and the Sox won the trade by not making it.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Gio Gonzalez to the Brewers:
https://www.mlb.com/news/gio-gonzale...rs/c-292770838

Andrew McCutchen to the Yankees:
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...n-trade-giants
Old 09-01-2018, 09:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Did the Pirates play their cards right?

Have the Pirates played their cards right since 1979? :')
Old 09-02-2018, 01:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Hoping. Of course they could get a bozo from AAA for next to nothing and still lose the games.
Shields has little to no value at all. They should just release him to give some of their young pitchers some time. If someone wanted him they could have got him for a ball of bags.