White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM
WSI Prelate

I encourage you to read this piece on ESPN about throwing at batters. "This illustrates a couple of things. First, many notions in baseball really do have ancient origins, particularly the bad ones. Second, you don't have to be bound by them."

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-17-2018, 01:03 PM
WSI High Priest

A player throwing a baseball at another player because the other player played too well against him is immature... and against the rules, btw. It is no different than a QB throwing a football at a LB who has sacked him 3 times in the game already, or a basketball player throwing the basketball at another player who has blocked his shot 3-4 already in the game. This unwritten rule should not be written down; on the contrary, it should be forgotten.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 08-17-2018, 02:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
A player throwing a baseball at another player because the other player played too well against him is immature... and against the rules, btw. It is no different than a QB throwing a football at a LB who has sacked him 3 times in the game already, or a basketball player throwing the basketball at another player who has blocked his shot 3-4 already in the game. This unwritten rule should not be written down; on the contrary, it should be forgotten.
The difference between the examples and the baseball is that the baseball can seriously injure you. But yes, you’re right. It’s dumb and a concept that has hit its expiration date.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The difference between the examples and the baseball is that the baseball can seriously injure you. But yes, you’re right. It’s dumb and a concept that has hit its expiration date.
I think a better example would be hard-fouling a guy in basketball when he's dominating the way the Pistons did to MJ. Very dangerous and something the league addressed. Lo and behold, it's much less of an issue these days.

Baseball just needs to grow up and mature, so to speak. Urena should have been suspended without pay for 15-20 games (3-4 starts), not 6. Without drastic changes, this garbage will continue.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Urena should have been suspended without pay for 15-20 games (3-4 starts), not 6. Without drastic changes, this garbage will continue.
My thought exactly. Urena misses 1 start. So what?? Like you,I believe if pitchers knew this kind of garbage could cost them 2 or 3 key starts (on a contending playoff team, that is), it would become much less of an issue.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

From ESPN

Players to Hit 20 HR in a Season Before Turning 21:
Ronald Acuña Jr.
Mel Ott*
Frank Robinson*
Tony Conigliaro 2x
Al Kaline*
Eddie Mathews*
Orlando Cepeda*
Mickey Mantle*
Ken Griffey Jr.*
Giancarlo Stanton
Bryce Harper 2x
Ted Williams*
Alex Rodriguez
Willie Mays*

*In Hall of Fame
----
Acuna has of course done this in a whopping 75 games. I think we may be looking at the next Trout-level star in the making.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

If that list from ESPN is correct that's some nice company.

Of the actives on that list I'd take Acuna over the others to play on my team.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004