Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 05:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Eloy Jimenez showing serious power the other way . i know it's crazy, but i got flashes of Dick Allen, watching Jimenez last night . White Sox pull off a double play, double play, triple play . Charlie Tilson hit a grand slam for his first big league home run . 4th team to have a slam and triple play in the same game, in 40 years . more great at bats for James McCann . Abreu starting to light it up again . beating the best team in baseball, in their park, with one of their aces going . what a ****ing game!!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbone View Post
Wow, great game. Are Tilson and McCaan part of the big picture? Sure feels like it.
Tilson is here through 2024 if the Sox want him here. Sounds like he's worth exploring as a 4th OF option for the long-term.

McCann has a half-decade of MLB experience and has never played like this before. His performance is already regressing somewhat. The safe move by the Sox is to trade him near peak value this summer.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-23-2019, 07:27 AM
WSI High Priest

A triple play and a grand slam in the same game. Now I've seen everything. Nova has managed to rebound pretty nicely, we badly need him to be a steady presence in the rotation. Eloy is going to be seeing plenty of breaking balls for a while, so at least he hit the mistakes.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
A triple play and a grand slam in the same game. Now I've seen everything. Nova has managed to rebound pretty nicely, we badly need him to be a steady presence in the rotation. Eloy is going to be seeing plenty of breaking balls for a while, so at least he hit the mistakes.
I don't think I've seen a walk-off homer follow a game tying homer.

For the win:

A triple play rates a celebration, too!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 AM
WSI Prelate

I was en route to Reno during the game, following accounts of the game on my phone (without express written consent of Major League baseball free of charge on the MLB site). I missed the triple play until well after the game. Unlike a triple play turned some years ago in a game where the White Sox lost big, by double-digits, I think, it panned out as critical to the win.

At first I thought MLB was downplaying the accomplishment by focusing on positioning, but Moncada was playing pretty much on the bag. To his credit, he was thinking triple play, though, making sure he tagged the base before throwing to second. The pivot could have been crisper, but the throw was strong.

The Sox were all over Cole in the sixth, probably the third time through the order. Just when it looked like they were going to blow a bases-loaded, no-out situation, Tilson gave the Sox some breathing room.

It occurred to me that the Astros, their fans anyway, probably expected to sweep the Sox this week. A split would hurt, although they don't have much to worry about from a standings perspective.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Was in Pittsburgh and listened to this one on radio via the MLB app. It seemed like Nova was living on the edge -- bailed out almost every inning by double or triple plays. But he hung in there. If Tilson had Cordell's power and throwing arm, he would be an ideal 4th outfielder. Can we meld them together?

Listening to Farmer is getting harder by the day. Last night he was discussing the "Killer B's" Astro team of 2005 and remarked that J.R. Richard was one of the starting pitcher's on the 2005 team. Richard retired in 1980. On the other hand, Andy Mazur is a good listen.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 5-2
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

282-243
Old 05-23-2019, 11:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Tilson is here through 2024 if the Sox want him here. Sounds like he's worth exploring as a 4th OF option for the long-term.

McCann has a half-decade of MLB experience and has never played like this before. His performance is already regressing somewhat. The safe move by the Sox is to trade him near peak value this summer.
They should trade McCann, Colome, Leury and Abreu if they could get real young talent in return. I just don't see it, particularly in a June/Julu deal. No need to trade those guys for fourth OFs, marginal 5th starters, LOOGYs, or rule 5 guys, which is probably what the offers will be.
There is also an argument to keep McCann if they like his defensive work and work with the pitchers. I'd probably extend Abreu for 3, but I don't think the Sox want to so they should trade him.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Was in Pittsburgh and listened to this one on radio via the MLB app. It seemed like Nova was living on the edge -- bailed out almost every inning by double or triple plays. But he hung in there. If Tilson had Cordell's power and throwing arm, he would be an ideal 4th outfielder. Can we meld them together?

Listening to Farmer is getting harder by the day. Last night he was discussing the "Killer B's" Astro team of 2005 and remarked that J.R. Richard was one of the starting pitcher's on the 2005 team. Richard retired in 1980. On the other hand, Andy Mazur is a good listen.
Farmer needs to retire and DJ needs to find a gig elsewhere. The TV guys are so much better than the radio guys.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
...McCann has a half-decade of MLB experience and has never played like this before. His performance is already regressing somewhat...
Are you referring to his hitting? That will always be hot and cold. His behind the plate stuff has been very solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
...Unlike a triple play turned some years ago in a game where the White Sox lost big, by double-digits, I think, it panned out as critical to the win.

At first I thought MLB was downplaying the accomplishment by focusing on positioning, but Moncada was playing pretty much on the bag. To his credit, he was thinking triple play, though, making sure he tagged the base before throwing to second. The pivot could have been crisper, but the throw was strong...
The triple play was critical. Unlike innings where the Sox turned double plays, it felt like Nova was shaky that inning. Gives up lead-off double, then hits the next guy. I can't remember the count, but I thought that was not in Nova's favor either. It definitely felt like the tub was about to overflow. Triple play turned off the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They should trade McCann, Colome, Leury and Abreu if they could get real young talent in return...
No. I mean if they can get something for Colome, that's a move that can/should be made. But McCann, you keep until you have a better option. And if the Sox have a better option, they should start that guy and still keep McCann.

Leury isn't going to bring much in a trade. Keep him, don't... either way. I kind of like him, but just because I'm used to him and don't see too much bad there.

Abreu - the Sox are on record as saying they are planning to re-sign him, and I think that's the right move. The guy has been damn good for the Sox from day one, even when other teams knew he was about the only weapon. I want him in that clubhouse.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:52 PM
WSI High Priest

In terms of guys you keep, depends on the circumstance.

- Assume you get solid years from Eloy/Yoan/Anderson/Giolito/Lopez, if Covey can maintain all the better.
- Assume you get similarly good years in minors from Robert/Cease/Collins and Kopech's rehab proceeds on schedule.

None of those require more than guys doing what they have been for the most part so far this year, so doesn't seem a stretch. That means for next year you are looking at:
1B: ???
2B: ???
SS: Anderson
3B: Moncada
LF: Jimenez
CF: Robert
RF: ????
C: Collins/????
DH: ????

SP: Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech, Covey.

This means that unless you're getting some pretty solid prospects, it's valuable to add solid MLB players at at least 2-3 of the ??? slots above. That would be Abreu, McCann. If Tilson can hit .280, he'd slot into RF at least temporarily.

Are the vets star caliber? No, but in terms of filling out a full MLB lineup in a year where you should be looking at W/L since your top guys are all up, it's important to have some depth. Abreu for sure, and McCann if he's providing solid play behind the plate, even if he's hitting more like a .650 OPS than a .900 OPS is a solid platoon catcher.

Now if things go off the rails such that next year looks like a rebuilding year rather than the first resurgence year, then maybe. Or if you get a good offer, then you consider it. But IMO the team is getting close to the point where you stop dealing any/all veterans for guys who might contribute years out.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Yeah McCann at his normal levels of production would make a solid backup catcher. If he stays hot at the plate into July, the Sox need to carefully weigh whether what he can bring in trade at the deadline outweighs one extra year of having a solid backup catcher.

Recall he is on a 2-year deal so he is gone after the 2020 season.

I think you have to sell high if you can.