White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2018, 09:55 AM
WSI Regular

Basabe went 1-2 last night with 3 (!!!) walks, scored a pair of runs, stole a base, and threw a guy out. He's not exactly hitting but seeing all of those walks is VERY encouraging.

Robert is hitting .356
Old 11-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Trib article on Robert and Zach Thompson in the AFL and Robert's adjustment to living in America.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...107-story.html

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Basabe went 1-2 last night with 3 (!!!) walks, scored a pair of runs, stole a base, and threw a guy out. He's not exactly hitting but seeing all of those walks is VERY encouraging.

Robert is hitting .356
Basabe is currently slashing.214/.410/.214. You donít see that every day.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Basabe is currently slashing.214/.410/.214. You donít see that every day.
Engel-esque.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:53 PM
WSI Personality

Absolute bomb by Robert. Enjoy...

https://twitter.com/goldensombrero/s...644878848?s=12
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 AM
WSI Regular

Robert's swing is a thing of beauty.

BA released their top 10 White Sox prospects list. If you don't have access to BA (like me), Sox Machine has an article on it: https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/11/0...anking-season/

None of the rankings are all that surprising.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 PM
WSI Guru

I saw a post where Hahn made some comments today (I think the Score had the story) where he said something I thought was significant. He said eventually the Sox were going to have to find a long term answer for third base. I assume this means Burger (if he ever plays) is being considered for a positional move eventually.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I saw a post where Hahn made some comments today (I think the Score had the story) where he said something I thought was significant. He said eventually the Sox were going to have to find a long term answer for third base. I assume this means Burger (if he ever plays) is being considered for a positional move eventually.
No I don't think that has anything to do with a possible position change for Burger, it's just the reality that there is no one in AA to the majors currently playing 3b that is anything remotely exciting. A prospect is just a prospect, add to it that he had a serious injury, and you have a lot of uncertainty in his future. Also can't label an A level prospect a long term answer in majors for any position.

Ultimately I see Moncada at 3b and Madrigal at 2b.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Robert finally doing something to back up the high prospect ranking. Great to see!

FWIW, he's sixth in the AFL in batting at .358, 17th in OBP at .414, 13th in slugging at .491. But he hasn't even been the best CF on Glendale. Ryan McKenna [Baltimore] is at .370/.485/.648, with one more at-bat.

But Robert is younger, is tied for the league lead in runs scored, and (subjectively at least) is a good defender. If he keeps playing like this he may get a September callup.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Robert finally doing something to back up the high prospect ranking. Great to see!

FWIW, he's sixth in the AFL in batting at .358, 17th in OBP at .414, 13th in slugging at .491. But he hasn't even been the best CF on Glendale. Ryan McKenna [Baltimore] is at .370/.485/.648, with one more at-bat.

But Robert is younger, is tied for the league lead in runs scored, and (subjectively at least) is a good defender. If he keeps playing like this he may get a September callup.
Iím not wanting to pour cold water on Robert, because Iím getting excited, too. At the same time, I keep reminding myself that:

1. The AFL usually features better hitters overall than pitchers (itís usually pitchers whose teams need to make some sort of decision on them, or pitchers who missed a lot of time this year due to injury);

2. Robert hasnít even played a full season at Winston-Salem.

As such, it seems to me that an assignment to open 2019 at Birmingham would be uncharacterisicslly aggressive (at least with the rebuild) for the Sox, and it would seem then to require being similarly aggressive with Basabe by starting him at Charlotte, since Basabe only spent half of 2018 at Birmingham. Gonzalez certainly earned an opportunity to start at AA as well. Maybe we assign our top OF prospects them this way:

Charlotte OF: Eloy (for ďservice timeĒ), Basabe, Booker, Call, Fisher

Birmingham OF: Robert, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford

Steele Walker would be the only OF prospect of note at the A-ball level.

Thoughts?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 AM
WSI Regular

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/p...-10-prospects/

BP's top 10 prospects list. Pretty good read!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/p...-10-prospects/

BP's top 10 prospects list. Pretty good read!
That's a solid group, but considering drafting 17, 3, 10, 8, 11 and 4, I would just like to see more elite level punch. They have to keep infusing the pipeline to equal what is graduating for this to work.

Last edited by Tragg; 11-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I’m not wanting to pour cold water on Robert, because I’m getting excited, too.

Thoughts?

He'll be fine with more experience. This sequence shows the kid knows what to do in regards to reading the play in front of him and hustling: https://www.southsidesox.com/2018/11...cago-white-sox
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
As such, it seems to me that an assignment to open 2019 at Birmingham would be uncharacterisicslly aggressive (at least with the rebuild) for the Sox, and it would seem then to require being similarly aggressive with Basabe by starting him at Charlotte, since Basabe only spent half of 2018 at Birmingham. Gonzalez certainly earned an opportunity to start at AA as well.
Robert should be starting at Winston-Salem. Basabe should be starting at Birmingham.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Iím not wanting to pour cold water on Robert, because Iím getting excited, too. At the same time, I keep reminding myself that:

1. The AFL usually features better hitters overall than pitchers (itís usually pitchers whose teams need to make some sort of decision on them, or pitchers who missed a lot of time this year due to injury);

2. Robert hasnít even played a full season at Winston-Salem.

As such, it seems to me that an assignment to open 2019 at Birmingham would be uncharacterisicslly aggressive (at least with the rebuild) for the Sox, and it would seem then to require being similarly aggressive with Basabe by starting him at Charlotte, since Basabe only spent half of 2018 at Birmingham. Gonzalez certainly earned an opportunity to start at AA as well. Maybe we assign our top OF prospects them this way:

Charlotte OF: Eloy (for ďservice timeĒ), Basabe, Booker, Call, Fisher

Birmingham OF: Robert, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford

Steele Walker would be the only OF prospect of note at the A-ball level.

Thoughts?
Coming out of spring training, I would go with:

Charlotte OF: Eloy (for ďservice timeĒ), Booker, Call, Fisher

Birmingham OF: Basabe, Gonzalez, Rutherford

Winston-Salem OF: Robert, Adolfo

Kanny- S. Walker

Would expect Eloy up with the Sox by mid-April, Basabe should move to Charlotte by June, same with Robert and Adolfo moving up to Birmingham.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada