White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2018, 12:39 PM
WSI Guru

With the decision to keep Hamels, with Heyward's decision to use his option to remain, the Sun-Times is reporting this morning the Cubs are now over the Luxury Tax threshold.

Buster Olney also just sent this out:

"Other teams' read on the Cubs situation this winter: "They have very little payroll flexibility and will have to spend very carefully to affect upgrades for the 2019 season. The days of having a cheap core of young players are over for the front office."

"Between Heyward, Darvish and Chatwood they will make 60 million in 2019, almost 30% of the team's salary space below the $206 million CBT threshold."

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 11-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
With the decision to keep Hamels, with Heyward's decision to use his option to remain, the Sun-Times is reporting this morning the Cubs are now over the Luxury Tax threshold.

Buster Olney also just sent this out:

"Other teams' read on the Cubs situation this winter: "They have very little payroll flexibility and will have to spend very carefully to affect upgrades for the 2019 season. The days of having a cheap core of young players are over for the front office."

"Between Heyward, Darvish and Chatwood they will make 60 million in 2019, almost 30% of the team's salary space below the $206 million CBT threshold."

Great! I am sure the best and the brightest running that team will make deals this off season to get that number down.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM
WSI Regular

rumour going around that the Cubs will sack pitching coach Jim Hickey...they just brought him in last season!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangelosi CF View Post
rumour going around that the Cubs will sack pitching coach Jim Hickey...they just brought him in last season!
Gotta blame someone for Darvish. Why not the guy with the South Side/White Sox stink?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Gotta blame someone for Darvish. Why not the guy with the South Side/White Sox stink?
John Mallee, the hitting coach before Chili Davis, had that stink too. Scapegoats aplenty around The Shrine.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangelosi CF View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
John Mallee, the hitting coach before Chili Davis, had that stink too. Scapegoats aplenty around The Shrine.
Goats. Yeah, it is the Goats...…..
Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Goats. Yeah, it is the Goats...…..
I like Hickey, he did a great job in Tampa, let's trade blowhard Cooper for him.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Firing Hickey would be hilarious given how Cub fans and the media were portraying him as the savior of the staff when the rumors of him leaving Tampa last offseason started.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Don't tell the Cubbie faithful

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...3b-kris-bryant

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Between this and the Maddon contract, I think the Cubs might realize their window is up and that they have no minor league talent and an expensive roster. They might be rebuilding - or at least "getting younger" as a guise for a smaller rebuild.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:32 PM
WSI Guru

Both Buster Olney and George Ofman (another Cub-fan reporter) are reporting the Cubs will look at offers for him because they don't feel they can re-sign him when the time comes (Boras is his agent) and are trying to create some salary flexibility.

Doesn't mean they WILL deal him, the offers in return would have to be along the lines of what the Sox got for Sale but it is interesting.

You also wonder how bad that shoulder injury really is.

Plus if they are considering offers honestly that tells me that unless they deal him they have very little chance at getting either Harper or Machado, no salary room since they are up against the Luxury Tax.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Both Buster Olney and George Ofman (another Cub-fan reporter) are reporting the Cubs will look at offers for him because they don't feel they can re-sign him when the time comes (Boras is his agent) and are trying to create some salary flexibility.

Doesn't mean they WILL deal him, the offers in return would have to be along the lines of what the Sox got for Sale but it is interesting.

You also wonder how bad that shoulder injury really is.

Plus if they are considering offers honestly that tells me that unless they deal him they have very little chance at getting either Harper or Machado, no salary room since they are up against the Luxury Tax.
If I were a GM inquiring about Bryant my first question would be how bad his shoulder is, he seemed like a different guy after that injury and if the Cubs think they’d be better without him, it would give me great pause before I made any deal.

Go Sox!!!
Old 11-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
If I were a GM inquiring about Bryant my first question would be how bad his shoulder is, he seemed like a different guy after that injury and if the Cubs think they’d be better without him, it would give me great pause before I made any deal.
Especially because he is still under team control for 3 more years and their window to win is still open.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Especially because he is still under team control for 3 more years and their window to win is still open.
He will cost a ton, but if he’s healthy why would you trade him to free up space with the luxury tax to spend on free agents?
Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Just a shot in the dark -- Would they possibly be attempting/considering packaging him with one of those bad contracts (Heyward/Chatwood/Darvish), and then in turn attempt to sign both Machado and Harper?