White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

SozSpeed22 nails it. An interesting article on the Dodgers success follows.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/20/...s-nlcs-pennant
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
SozSpeed22 nails it. An interesting article on the Dodgers success follows.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/20/...s-nlcs-pennant
Good article but I bet the Lad dont cheap out on scouting and their minor league system either. The thing it doesnt address is the huge TV contract they got which enables them to spend like a drunken sailor, a lot of teams dont have that luxury.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
If the Astros series goes 7, the Yankees will win.
Well, the Astros are pretty damn good at home, and are simply a better team than NYY. The closed roof amps up the noise, which boosts the team and can intimidate the opposition. But MLB will have control of that roof now for the WS, let's see if they close it or not.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/spor...ies-champs-mlb

Sports Illustrated cover declares Houston Astros '2017 World Series champs'

Very prescient prediction, it was made in 2014 when the Stros were horrid. Just goes to show you what a full rebuild will do.

It's gonna be a great series. I watched only a few minutes of last years, I avoided all MLB info from game 1 of the NLCS to game 6 of the WS. It was very hard to do, but I truly had no definitive idea if the Series was still going or who was playing in it. It was quite taxing to avoid that knowledge, and I finally gave in near the start of g6. I turned the TV on and couldn't believe what I was seeing. It just didn't click, purely surreal. When flubs began to rally, I turned it back off and had no idea what the situation was that night when I heard neighbors celebrate. Maybe the Series was over or maybe there was a game 7. I was kinda hoping the WS was over and that the mild celebrations were all they were gonna get on the South Side. Boy was I wrong.

The next night, I had no idea if they returned home with the trophy, or if there was a g7. Didn't even know they were down 3-2 the night before. I avoided all info again, but as the night went on, it felt like there was a WS g7 I was missing for the 1st time in my self aware lifetime. 1030pm came, and there was no noise outside. Then 11pm, still quiet. Finally, it was 1145pm, and since there still was no commotion anywhere outside my window, it felt that Cleveland may have pulled it off and won game 7. A euphoric feeling of relief came over me, the game had to be over by then, and no neighbors celebrating meant no flub victory, right.

Then at 1147pm, the fireworks went off, and the South Side traitors came out to yell and scream. I was still in denial at this point, but the reality was there that the unthinkable had happened. There was way too much celebrating going on in Sox country, I was pretty sickened.

Ugh, I may be the only person on the planet who put so much effort into avoiding the postseason, it was wild, I caught up on lots of other things instead of paying attention to baseball, and I usually try to watch every MLB postseason game that I can.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.