Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 AM
WSI Personality

The reason I'm not too quick to dismiss Avi's performance as just an anomaly is that he is still very young and not yet in his prime. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he has made adjustments to his swing and that he is starting to tap into his natural ability. Who knows? If he does become a consistent hitter (albeit a defensive liability), do you keep him or trade him?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
The reason I'm not too quick to dismiss Avi's performance as just an anomaly is that he is still very young and not yet in his prime. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he has made adjustments to his swing and that he is starting to tap into his natural ability. Who knows? If he does become a consistent hitter (albeit a defensive liability), do you keep him or trade him?
IMO given the makeup of the team and the minors if Avi maintains this throughout the season (big if), you try to resign him. He's young enough that he can be a part of the future. And he plays a position of need, with little in the minors to fill OF slots. We have pitching, need position players, particularly in the OF.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
If he does become a consistent hitter (albeit a defensive liability), do you keep him or trade him?
He has two more years after this one till he becomes a FA. Its doubtful that the Sox will be able to compete till after he becomes a FA, if the rebuild continues. He will be close to 29 years old then. He is not a right fielder maybe he is a left fielder or a DH. Is this the type of FA the Sox will want to invest in? Remember the chairman would possibly be 84 years old going into the 2020 season. His trade value wouldnt be much at trade deadline.

All my thoughts are above and my answer is heck if I know.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
The reason I'm not too quick to dismiss Avi's performance as just an anomaly is that he is still very young and not yet in his prime.
He will turn 26 on June 12th. That's not "very young".
Old 04-19-2017, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
He has two more years after this one till he becomes a FA. Its doubtful that the Sox will be able to compete till after he becomes a FA, if the rebuild continues. He will be close to 29 years old then. He is not a right fielder maybe he is a left fielder or a DH. Is this the type of FA the Sox will want to invest in? Remember the chairman would possibly be 84 years old going into the 2020 season. His trade value wouldnt be much at trade deadline.

All my thoughts are above and my answer is heck if I know.
Based on that, then I would think if he performs this year and next, you can resign him to a sizable deal (a year prior to FA), because you don't project to have much in the way of $$$ commitments by then. And that would solidify one slot in the OF (or DH, particularly if Abreu is traded).
Old 04-19-2017, 05:08 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
Based on that, then I would think if he performs this year and next, you can resign him to a sizable deal (a year prior to FA), because you don't project to have much in the way of $$$ commitments by then. And that would solidify one slot in the OF (or DH, particularly if Abreu is traded).

Most wont sign a contract one year away from FA.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
He will turn 26 on June 12th. That's not "very young".
Okay, very young wasn't accurate but I think he's still considered on the "young" end of the spectrum.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Fine he's somewhat young. That said he's had issues with his weight and has been a rather poor base runner and defensive outfielder.

His offense has been no great shakes either.

What he needs to do is produce at a high level in each quarter of the season. If he does that then, only then, can you move to being cautiously optimistic.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004