White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Who cares about Law. Pleskoff is someone who knows what he's talking about.

http://clubhousecorner.com/2019/02/0...all-prospects/
IIRC we're not supposed to directly quote from links. I did enjoy this article and Pleskoff did say predicting baseball player success is beyond difficult. I guess no one told him that in this ultra modern era it's getting more and more like a real hard science. You guys here who are into following minor league ball and prospects have taught me a lot. Thanks, but here is a respected prognosticator reemphasizing how difficult it is to project who is and who isn't going to pan out at the Major League level. So I'm not going to assume too much of anything regarding the so called depth of talent in the White Sox minor league system. I will say that I will be both surprised and majorly disappointed if Eloy is anything less than a solid performer at the Major League level for many years to come. As for the other guys I have a wait and see attitude, some I'm more hopeful on than others. I would really like to see some draft picks reminiscent of Larry Himes when he was at the top of his game.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Nothing about that evaluation says you two disagree. Pretty good prospect is in that range. He's definitely not an A prospect and the odds of him ever becoming a starter at the major league level are still 50/50 or worse.

He'll be back. This is fairly common from swinging a bat. Giancarlo Stanton had a Hermate bone fracture in 2015. Doesn't seem to have affected his development.

Not sure about the difference between repair and removal how that affects things, but there is reason to believe Basabe will be just fine.
I agree. It sounds like we're all in agreement that no one should be penciling in Basabe as a future starter in the Sox OF. That, of course, doesn't mean he has zero upside potential On the whole, I don't have a problem with him being the 3rd piece in the Chris Sale trade.

One thing to note about Basabe is that I believe he'll be out of options as of the start of the 2021 season. I'm not saying that as an alarmist and I'm not suggesting this bone fracture ruins his chances. But, he does have to show progress over the next 2 seasons to be MLB ready for the year after that. I look forward to seeing how he does upon his return in May.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
So, in other words, we should exclude the Sox top two pitching prospects (guys with ace potential) first and then compare their pitching depth to that the rest of the league. Got it.

Also, your comment on middle relievers on the 40-man does not answer the question about the Sox pitching depth no matter how many times you say it does. Comment: The Sox have some older middle relievers on their 40-man. Conclusion: The Sox have no pitching depth in their farm system.
We're talking depth. 2 is not depth.
And for goodness sakes the Sox should have some good pitchers...it's hardly a feat considering what they traded and where they've drafted. Where y'at, Fulmer and Burdi?
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
And for goodness sakes the Sox should have some good pitchers...it's hardly a feat considering what they traded and where they've drafted. Where y'at, Fulmer and Burdi?
You must know that Burdi is only just now expected to start returning to form due to the major arm surgery he had. You do know that, right?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

....but you're still wanting to exclude the Sox 2 best pitching prospects and compare the rest to ALL pitching prospects in other farm systems (not excluding their top 2). You're not making a fair comparison no matter how many times you say "depth". Talk about "for goodness sake".

Yeah, Burdi where have you been the last year? Tommy John surgery is just another lame excuse for Rick Hahn! Forget about 2019. He's already a failure!

White Sox Baseball
:
The future's so bright, I gotta wear SHADES!

# of teams with a longer playoff drought = 3:
San Diego (2006), Miami (2003), Seattle (2001)

# of teams with fewer playoff appearances since 1995 = 3:
Kansas City
(2), Toronto (2), Miami (2)

Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You must know that Burdi is only just now expected to start returning to form due to the major arm surgery he had. You do know that, right?
Seriously.
Old Today, 08:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
The third piece, that says it all....
When you are trading one of the best pitchers in baseball, right in his prime, signed for 3 years, the 3rd piece is a darn important piece.

As for Burdi, what form? If the Sox were right on him in 2016, and he's now healthy, he should be a late inning guy this season.

Last edited by Tragg; Today at 09:12 AM.
Old Today, 09:26 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
When you are trading one of the best pitchers in baseball, right in his prime, signed for 3 years, the 3rd piece is a darn important piece.

As for Burdi, what form? If the Sox were right on him in 2016, and he's now healthy, he should be a late inning guy this season.
And he might well be. They have already said they are going slow with him this spring. If he's healthy and productive I expect to see him on the team this year doing exactly what you say, but there's no rush and they are deep in bullpen pitchers to start the season,
Old Today, 05:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
When you're getting the #1 prospect in all of baseball and the #1 pitching prospect in baseball, the third piece is not all that important.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old Today, 06:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
And he might well be. They have already said they are going slow with him this spring. If he's healthy and productive I expect to see him on the team this year doing exactly what you say, but there's no rush and they are deep in bullpen pitchers to start the season,
I approve of the Sox bringing Burdi back slowly after TJS. The last thing I wanted them to do regarding his return was to feel pressure to bring him back to a full workload late last year in order to appease Sox fans who were complaining in 2018 that he's shown us nothing lately. Once they start doing that with players, then this franchise really is screwed.

2019 will be a big year for Burdi, no question. I'm eager to see how he does upon his return to Charlotte (and then maybe to Chicago later this year?).