Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 PM
WSI Regular

I don't get it. They sign a 31 year-old .241 lifetime hitter for $18.25 million a year?

Save that money and get starting pitchers, and then more starting pitchers.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Nice to see the Sox sign an actual good baseball player and not just a guy's relatives.

As of right now I'm thinking McCann is the backup catcher and splits DH time with Collins. Grandal can also fill in at 1st base when Abreu needs a day off or is DHing himself. Not sure what this means for Collins in the long term with Andrew Vaughn waiting in the wings.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

That is huge and honestly a very reasonable price given the current market.

Love it!

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I don't get it. They sign a 31 year-old .241 lifetime hitter for $18.25 million a year?

You can clone Cy Young five times and have him take up your entire rotation, but it won't matter if you can't hit, and the Sox just did almost as good as they could this offseason.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:

He's one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, has power, and is a high OBP and solid OPS guy. He takes enough walks to make up for the lower BA.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Good signing, really good player.

The price is a bit high, but Grandal had a reset the market year last season, so I was expecting a pretty big bump.

I guess the question is what happens to our other catchers?
Old 11-21-2019, 12:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Great signing if he can continue to be productive age 31-34. I imagine he and McCann will switch off between C and DH.
Agreed. This should be a great signing if he continues his past production. This gives us a much needed left-handed (switch hitter) bat and is a good hedge against further regression by McCann.

They can also work Collins into the lineup at C, DH, or 1B to see if he can hit MLB pitching without totally relying on him if he flops.

Now, acquire a decent RF for the lineup as well as a quality SP!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is an okay signing, but on it's own doesn't move the needle much. Without signing Cole, Strasburg, or Wheeler...this move is going to feel more like White Sox moves of old. Signing an aging slugger because his market fits the contracts we hand out.

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy we signed a guy that can take a walk. But if we walk away this offseason with Grandal and back end starters, we're in a lot of trouble.
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Love it. This should also help them attract SP because they arguably have the best catching corps in baseball.
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

While I do not disagree with your desire for starting pitchers your assessment of Grandal is based off one statistic and not a good one. If you would care to look at more telling statistics you'd see that Grandal has consistently posted an above average OPS and is widely regarded as the best defensive catcher and pitch framer in baseball.

The signing of Grandal immediately improves the White Sox pitching staff...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Agreed. This should be a great signing if he continues his past production. This gives us a much needed left-handed (switch hitter) bat and is a good hedge against further regression by McCann.

They can also work Collins into the lineup at C, DH, or 1B to see if he can hit MLB pitching without totally relying on him if he flops.

Now, acquire a decent RF for the lineup as well as a quality SP!
I'm thinking Collins is now a trade chip for RF or SP, at least that is my hope.

I also see it in that McCann is slightly younger than Grandal and is a hedge down the road for regression from him aging. They are both a hedge for each other.

This is immediately the best catching tandem in the game.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:46 PM
WSI Personality

Awesome! He was my #1 offseason target (outside of Cole/Strasburg). He just helps with so many of the team's problem areas - pitch framing, OBP, defense behind the plate - and he's at a position that was very thin organizationally.

Grandal/McCann/Collins make the perfect 3-headed platoon for C and DH. I suspect we'll see a lot of Grandal/Collins against RHP and Grandal/McCann against LHP. McCann will get some additional ABs against RHP to give Grandal a rest. This is also the ideal way to transition Collins into the league, letting him learn from two respected veterans without putting too much defensive responsibility on him.

Really happy that the Sox are opening up the payroll and I still expect at least one more big signing for a FA starter.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

He's a 16 WAR, 115 OPS career player. He gets on base, can play C, 1B, and DH. It's a big signing.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Awesome! He was my #1 offseason target (outside of Cole/Strasburg). He just helps with so many of the team's problem areas - pitch framing, OBP, defense behind the plate - and he's at a position that was very thin organizationally.

Grandal/McCann/Collins make the perfect 3-headed platoon for C and DH. I suspect we'll see a lot of Grandal/Collins against RHP and Grandal/McCann against LHP. McCann will get some additional ABs against RHP to give Grandal a rest. This is also the ideal way to transition Collins into the league, letting him learn from two respected veterans without putting too much defensive responsibility on him.

Really happy that the Sox are opening up the payroll and I still expect at least one more big signing for a FA starter.

SNY is reporting that we're looking to add Wheeler in an early strike too. Huge grain of salt, because obviously for him to come off the board first it would take more than the numbers floating around already.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Happy to get back to my desk and see this. Gimme Wheeler and Moose, too, while the checkbook is open. And a RF would be cool, too.

Well done, Sox! Let's keep the line moving.

Can this be the lead story and art in the Sun-Times' sports section tomorrow or will it be another Trubisky sucks and here's why column?

I like this. A lot.