Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 01:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I havent seen that here , all I can remember is seeing Dunn strolled out there daily.
Hasn't happened here because the Sox never had stud position player prospects coming up until the last few years.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Not a fan of this extension. Abreu will not be worth the salary by the end of the deal.

However:

- Abreu will come off the books before any of the current rebuild guys become FA's
- all of you who were saying that $18 million on Abreu in 2020 will prevent the Sox from signing a free agent beyond Grandal...well they just got a bit more short-term flexibility
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 11-22-2019, 01:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
$18mil+ players get benched when they aren't performing. Especially when there is a young top prospect that is waiting in the wings at that position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I havent seen that here , all I can remember is seeing Dunn strolled out there daily.

The Sox released John Danks in mid-May 2016 even though they still owed him $15.75M that season.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:56 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
The Sox released John Danks in mid-May 2016 even though they still owed him $15.75M that season.

I dont think he could lift a ball at that point.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
There was no assumption on my part. I said "might be a financial burden", which is true. Recent MLB players don't have a good track record of continuing production at ages 33-35.

Actually this is not true based on the latest studies in hitter production. While we all know that players begin to decline around age 29/30, the curve is not that dramatic until they turn 35. On average players decline about 1.5 to 2.0% in many accepted statistical categories from 30 to 35, but when they hit 36 it increases to about 3%.

Nice read here: https://thedynastyguru.com/2019/02/2...stats-part-ii/

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 11-22-2019, 01:59 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yeah, doing it again next offseason...reasonably I wouldn't expect him to get a multi-year deal. He'd probably go year to year, so those seasons would land in the $10-12 million range each if he's still productive. Ultimately, he's a White Sox while he can still play...so like I said it's not THAT much of an overpay.
Add in the fact he's a steady and respected veteran presence on a team that will be packed with youth and a fan favorite and you could say it's not really an overpay at all. Several players have commented on his work ethic and how he has helped them learn what it takes to be a professional and succeed at this level.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-22-2019, 02:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well yeah I know, that's why I said "raises". He will be getting $9.5mil that year which is over double he will be making this upcoming season. Eloy making 3x what he'll make in 2020, and Moncada and Giolito will be in Arb2 making over $10mil each.
Sorry. My mistake. I thought you were suggesting that all these players would be out of contract/control by 2022.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 11-22-2019, 02:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Not a fan of this extension. Abreu will not be worth the salary by the end of the deal.

However:

- Abreu will come off the books before any of the current rebuild guys become FA's
- all of you who were saying that $18 million on Abreu in 2020 will prevent the Sox from signing a free agent beyond Grandal...well they just got a bit more short-term flexibility
Maybe, but conceivably, he could still be quite productive in 3 yrs especially if he becomes a full time DH.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
So from a payroll impact it's $16-$16-$14. That seems fine. In terms of the difference between salary and bonus, I think it has to do with what potential suspension or other reason for nonpayment. If Abreu was suspended, he'd forfeit/lose whatever portion of salary for that time. But bonuses, having been paid already, would not be subject to that. There's also just a time value impact of getting a chunk upfront v spread over the year.
I agree- I was expecting a 2 year deal with a club option/buy out for year 3- this is a little more than that with the 3rd year, but that's partially offset by the deferred money- I like the signals they're sending of investment, commitment, stability etc- so overall OK with it.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Add in the fact he's a steady and respected veteran presence on a team that will be packed with youth and a fan favorite and you could say it's not really an overpay at all. Several players have commented on his work ethic and how he has helped them learn what it takes to be a professional and succeed at this level.

That goes into deserved versus what he could reasonably earn. I'm happy for Jose, and I'd like to think those intangibles are why the team is paying him more than market as a thank you.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
The majority of fans on websites and social media don't like this contract, so not sure how him being a fan favorite makes any difference. I love Jose, but not at this cost.

Let's not act like this is a franchise that spends even league average money on a regular basis. There's legitimate reason to be concerned about how this deal may affect business in a couple years.

Outside of the Cardinals signing Molina, and hes a future HOF, I can't remember an overpay like this for a guy just because. It's the Jerry Way.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
The majority of fans on websites and social media don't like this contract, so not sure how him being a fan favorite makes any difference. I love Jose, but not at this cost.

Let's not act like this is a franchise that spends even league average money on a regular basis. There's legitimate reason to be concerned about how this deal may affect business in a couple years.

Outside of the Cardinals signing Molina, and hes a future HOF, I can't remember an overpay like this for a guy just because. It's the Jerry Way.
I'm seeing the exact opposite in fan reactions on social media than you.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Actually this is not true based on the latest studies in hitter production. While we all know that players begin to decline around age 29/30, the curve is not that dramatic until they turn 35. On average players decline about 1.5 to 2.0% in many accepted statistical categories from 30 to 35, but when they hit 36 it increases to about 3%.

Nice read here: https://thedynastyguru.com/2019/02/2...stats-part-ii/
Problem is that data comes from 1985-2018, players in the 80s, 90s, 00s were very successful deep into their careers. That does not seem to be the case anymore. Over the last 5 or so years, we have seen stars, good, and above average players take nose dives at a certain points in their 30s.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:55 PM
WSI Personality

I had to let this sit for awhile, because my first reaction is that I didn't like the length. It's not a tremendous overpay, but like many I worry about a decline by the 3rd year, and by then we should have a replacement who will be just coming up in Vaughn. It seems like the deal was given out for sentimental reasons/intangibles.

That said, I guess I'm okay with it because intangibles/leadership are important ingredients on a winning team, as long as they don't let this hinder their pursuit of other acquisitions. I think we all like Jose, and I'm looking forward to seeing him at the next championship parade.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
So I don't really know if that's true or not. I do know the fans who go on websites and social media in November are a very different group than the total fanbase. I suspect the general fan just likes Abreu and will be happy to have him for a few more years and not worry so much about money that isn't theirs.

Last edited by anewman35; 11-22-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Closed Thread