White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2020, 08:43 AM
WSI Personality

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/s...271856128?s=20

If anyone wants Mookie Betts from Boston, they'll need to take on Price's contract (fine) as well as give up some "frontline prospects". I'd entertain that idea if it meant the most we gave up was Rutherford plus maybe an A pitcher. They're asking way too much for Betts. Everyone knows he's gone come FA time.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Burdi was in AAA in 2016, no reason for him not to be in MLB ST if he's healthy.
Exactly- bullpen arms can come out of nowhere, he's a 1st round draft choice, he's on the 40 man roster, he's 100% healthy, of course you give him a shot- I would probably want him to start at AAA so he gets the regular work he needs after missing so much time- but not having him in MLB ST doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by TomBradley72; 01-20-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:15 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post

If anyone wants Mookie Betts from Boston, they'll need to take on Price's contract (fine) as well as give up some "frontline prospects". I'd entertain that idea if it meant the most we gave up was Rutherford plus maybe an A pitcher. They're asking way too much for Betts. Everyone knows he's gone come FA time.
No thanks. I would give up nothing. I don't want to chew up a large portion of payroll for a pitcher who may be ineffective. And like said, Mookie is a rental. I never want rentals unless the team is seriously considered one player away from going far into the playoffs.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Burdi might suck. I don't think ANY of us can legitimately say either way.
I view Burdi the same way I view any minor league pitcher who has done basically nothing. Relievers sometimes come out of nowhere, and maybe he will, but at this point, pure lottery ticket.

Still, stockpile all of the pitching you can. Trading real assets for rents, short-term contracts, etc. is a good way to solidify 3rd place.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post

It sounds like the Red Sox just want people to stop calling about Betts entirely.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I view Burdi the same way I view any minor league pitcher who has done basically nothing. Relievers sometimes come out of nowhere, and maybe he will, but at this point, pure lottery ticket.

Still, stockpile all of the pitching you can. Trading real assets for rents, short-term contracts, etc. is a good way to solidify 3rd place.

That's how I feel about it. No one is penciling in Burdi for anything, but it would be foolish to give up on him at this point in time and not even invite him to the major league spring training camp.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
That's how I feel about it. No one is penciling in Burdi for anything, but it would be foolish to give up on him at this point in time and not even invite him to the major league spring training camp.
Who said anything about giving up? He certainly shouldn’t be a candidate to open this season in Chicago, though.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Who said anything about giving up? He certainly shouldn’t be a candidate to open this season in Chicago, though.
Why not? He's on the 40 man roster so by default he should be given a chance. If he has a good spring and shows he's healthy and effective he should be on the team. I know you think that's a long shot, and maybe it is, but there is nothing to gain by not giving him a shot.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Why not? He's on the 40 man roster so by default he should be given a chance. If he has a good spring and shows he's healthy and effective he should be on the team. I know you think that's a long shot, and maybe it is, but there is nothing to gain by not giving him a shot.
Absolutely. Plenty of teams, even the best ones, annually have a breakout reliever in camp who makes the MLB roster. Having an open spot or even two with the expectation that there will emerge an arm or two to fill it/them is common practice.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-21-2020, 11:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Absolutely. Plenty of teams, even the best ones, annually have a breakout reliever in camp who makes the MLB roster. Having an open spot or even two with the expectation that there will emerge an arm or two to fill it/them is common practice.
Except those spots are often filled by guys who are out of options. Burdi has a full slate of options.

Stash him in Charlotte until he shows that he can throw strikes.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Except those spots are often filled by guys who are out of options. Burdi has a full slate of options.

Good point that Burdi has options. But if he shows he can throw strikes and is effective during ST, I'd still rather the Sox have him on the opening day roster over, say, Carson Fulmer (assuming Carson Fulmer pitches like Carson Fulmer during ST).

If they're pitching similarly I agree with you that you would give the benefit of doubt to the guy without any remaining options, because you can always make the swap later and depth is important. But there is no benefit to leaving Burdi in minor league camp as you suggested.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

This is just odd. If Burdi is in spring training and absolutely kills it, the Sox *shouldn't* let him win a bullpen spot if one is open?
Old 01-21-2020, 12:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This is just odd. If Burdi is in spring training and absolutely kills it, the Sox *shouldn't* let him win a bullpen spot if one is open?
Do you honestly see that happening? I don’t.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

In a year when we are trying to compete, shouldn’t we bring north our best 7-8 relievers?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Do you honestly see that happening? I don’t.
Literally every season, several teams have some otherwise garbage or completely unproven relief pitcher all of a sudden dominate spring training and make the squad out of the spring. They don't necessarily stick, but it happens a lot.

So basically, having Burdi in spring training along with like 15 other arms with that opportunity seems really non-controversial to me.

Just last season, Nick Anderson and John Means got their spots this way. You never know.