Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 10:48 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Sox just signed one of the best catchers in baseball and people are complaining?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Tried to wade through this thread but got tired of reading the same negative comments over and over.

My thoughts:
1. If you think at 31 he's too old for a four year deal remember Carlton Fisk was 33 years old when he joined the White Sox.

2. I'm buying my next door neighbor's house so I have a place to store all the World Series swag I'll be acquiring over the next few years.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
So you expect McCann to be traded? Seems probable, but then we're left with two back up catchers who aren't very good behind the plate. Really like the idea of having a strong backstop out there 162 games a year when one is good enough to stay in the lineup at DH or 1b.
I expect, and want, McCann to stay. I understand that he’s the RH platoon and backup C as it stands, but may the best bat win at DH and all those guys present value when put in the right situation. My guess is Mercedes gets full time catching duty in Charlotte, but I say if he continues to rake lefties, bring him up. PH between days he DHs (McCann catches) against tough lefties while you save Grandal and Collins for the bullpen.

Last edited by KRS1; 11-21-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Sox just signed one of the best catchers in baseball and people are complaining?
Not a lot. Just from the usual folks. Honestly, the most inane criticism is over the cost. Who cares? Nothing suggests this is it. In fact, Kenny intimated that this was just the start.

The other fun one is hand-wringing over this being the it for the big moves. I donít get why that is even worth mentioning in November. Why not wait until the dust settles?

Itís a great move no matter how you slice it.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:36 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I expect, and want, McCann to stay. I understand that heís the RH platoon and backup C as it stands, but may the best bat win at DH and all those guys present value when put in the right situation. My guess is Mercedes gets full time catching duty in Charlotte, but I say if he continues to rake lefties, bring him up. PH between days he DHs (McCann catches) against tough lefties while you save Grandal and Collins for the bullpen.
Last year Grandall raked as RHB but was merely good as LHB. I don't think it makes any sense to bench Grandall against LHP. He can DH sometimes and give McCann some catching starts, but if he's truly a better catcher defensively then you want him behind the dish and he's not gonna sit against LHP.

I will point out he gives up about 9 PB/season and has had as many as 16 and his career CS% is only 26% which is basically league average.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-22-2019, 12:44 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I expect, and want, McCann to stay. I understand that heís the RH platoon and backup C as it stands, but may the best bat win at DH and all those guys present value when put in the right situation. My guess is Mercedes gets full time catching duty in Charlotte, but I say if he continues to rake lefties, bring him up. PH between days he DHs (McCann catches) against tough lefties while you save Grandal and Collins for the bullpen.
Yes, we definitely need a $73M bullpen catcher, and a former first round pick to back him up

Scouts are extremely skeptical that Mercedes's offensive approach will translate to the big leagues. I agree he deserves a shot at some point this season just to see what he can do.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Yes, we definitely need a $73M bullpen catcher, and a former first round pick to back him up

Scouts are extremely skeptical that Mercedes's offensive approach will translate to the big leagues. I agree he deserves a shot at some point this season just to see what he can do.
And I've read much of the same on him. I know he's going to be in Charlotte barring some trade, but he's at that age where you give his bat a chance.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:52 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
Seems kinda understated here how great a signing this is. They just signed one of the best catchers in baseball.

Yet it's the White Sox and, more importantly, a Reinsdorf owned organization where failure and prioritizing business interests over on-field / on court product is more common than success so tapering overall expectations is completely reasonable until they start showing more action than talking.

Last edited by keloms; 11-22-2019 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Nice to see this deal when i logged on this morning . not only is Grandal a switch-hitter with power and good obp, but he's an an excellent backstop, and good clubhouse guy . at any rate, as this quote states, it appears that the rebuild is over, "For the Pale Hose, the signing of such a multi-dimensional, high-profile player makes it abundantly clear that their long-running rebuild has come to an end." . i for one am excited, and can't wait to see what happens next . stay tuned...
Old 11-22-2019, 06:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keloms View Post
Yet it's the White Sox and, more importantly, a Reinsdorf owned organization where failure and prioritizing business interests over on-field / on court product is more common than success so tapering overall expectations is completely reasonable until they start showing more action than talking.

What other single move could they have done to show that things have changed than this, the biggest contract they've ever given out? They were rebuilding, did people want them spending 200m over the last few years or something?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:29 AM
WSI High Priest

The press for this deal is overwhelmingly positive. Some commentators do note that Grandal alone will not make the White Sox contenders (which is true), but they manage to do so without going into a long rant about Reinsdorf, Yonder Alonso, and the San Diego Padres.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/yasmani-...the-white-sox/

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ndal-deal.html
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 11-22-2019, 06:41 AM
WSI Prelate

If you didnít hear His very strange interview on 670 yesterday (and Mac and Perkins were being stupid), one comment I loved was that he told Collins to be ready to work because heís going to take him by the hand and show him how to succeed. This is the type of players we need. Abreu is that way but without the winning track record. This should compliment him very well
Old 11-22-2019, 06:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keloms View Post
It's one thing to not be running through the streets and planning a parade. Everybody (even the Sox) knows that this move CAN'T be all. But as a single move, it's nothing but positive, and it's a little strange to me if somebody can't just be happy about that.

It's kinda like wining opening day. Does winning opening day guarantee anything? Of course not. But it's certainly better than LOSING opening day. This is like winning opening day of the off-season, so for now be happy until we see what else happens...
Old 11-22-2019, 06:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
If you didnít hear His very strange interview on 670 yesterday (and Mac and Perkins were being stupid), one comment I loved was that he told Collins to be ready to work because heís going to take him by the hand and show him how to succeed. This is the type of players we need. Abreu is that way but without the winning track record. This should compliment him very well
This is yet another under-appreciated positive that could come out of this signing: Collins will continue to learn from McCann while also learning from Grandal, who he has known for nearly a decade.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:55 AM
WSI High Priest

https://twitter.com/barstoolchicago/...47834688344064