Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:58 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I have a problem with it because they are commemorating a dark and disgraceful night in White Sox history, we had to ****ing forfeit the second game of the double header because of one of the dumbest promotions in MLB history.
I'm with you. It should just be ignored and forgotten. It's bad enough that non-fans bring it up to embarrass us, why would the organization act like it's something to celebrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The Indians had Nickle Beer Night which was also a "disaster." Why don't we go after them for it? Every team has, at one time or another, tried an innovate promotion that did not work out as planned.
I'd be stunned if the Indians decided to commemorate that night.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-13-2019, 04:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Look, this was not something the Sox should be ashamed of. There were no anti-this group or anti-that group undertones in the anti-disco movement. I know, I was alive back then.

Really? I would differ from you as a high school student that lived through that time. There was a musical clash (punk, disco, classic rock) happening at that time.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 06-13-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Iíve been reading this thread with interest and thinking about the arguments made.

Under Reinsdorf, the Sox have a pretty good track record of inclusion, both on the field and off the field.

If I were them, Iíd quietly reach out to leaders in the LGBTQ community and ask if there is widespread sentiment that ďanti-discoĒ is seen/felt as being anti-LGBTQ.

If the answer is yes or maybe, then Iíd cancel the promotion and announce it in a press release with an apology and an explanation.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:58 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Lawlessness should never be celebrated.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The fun police have spoken!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Couple of links from the archives:

Fans share their memories:

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Histo...Demolition.htm

Lorelei - the "Loop girl" with Steve Dahl that night - interview:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/r...ory=11&id=2300

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Baseball is a kid's game. It's not making light of some serious, dark, chapter in our nation's history - it was just a dumb and ill-conceived promotion that went horribly wrong. Kind of a real-life WKRP/Thanksgiving promotion.

Lighten up, Francis.
No, no, a thousand times no! We all should realize now that Dr. Johnny Fever's hatred of Disco had dark and sinister undertones. Someone should petition MeTV to yank that show from their lineup.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Really? I would differ from you as a high school student that lived through that time. There was a musical clash (punk, disco, classic rock) happening at that time.
But it was not based on the orientation of the listeners; I think that was Dump's point. It's ahistorical to pretend that disco was identified exclusively with the gay community 40 years ago. To pick just one example, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack was broadly and wildly popular worldwide, spawning a slew of imitators who wanted to (and did) sell records to way more people than that. Travolta's character in that movie, his pals watching him dance at the disco, and the kids who were the subject of the nonfiction magazine article that the movie was based on were all straight.

And it would be outrageously unfair to assert that the new wave and punk musicians who were rebelling against the slick disco productions and wanted to return to what they saw as rock and roll were doing so because they were anti-gay. I am not suggesting that's what you said, but it shows up the logical fallacy. Dance music, whether in its disco incarnation or other forms, and whether one likes or hates it, has a much longer, deeper and broader history, which continues today.

Come to think of it, ahistorical and unfair could be the Cubune's new banner motto.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Iím an historian, but when youíre talking about a a consumer product - and Major League Baseball is a consumer product competing not only with other entertainment products, but also another major league team eight miles north - the precise history of something is less important than what it might symbolize today.

No one is going to stop coming to Sox games if they DONíT celebrate the 40th anniversary of Disco Demolition.

But some people might be offended, and therefore might stop coming to Sox games, if they DO celebrate the 40th anniversary of Disco Demolition.

To me it probably makes business sense to cancel the planned celebration if itís going to be perceived as offensive by some.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Iím an historian, but when youíre talking about a a consumer product - and Major League Baseball is a consumer product competing not only with other entertainment products, but also another major league team eight miles north - the precise history of something is less important than what it might symbolize today.

No one is going to stop coming to Sox games if they DONíT celebrate the 40th anniversary of Disco Demolition.

But some people might be offended, and therefore might stop coming to Sox games, if they DO celebrate the 40th anniversary of Disco Demolition.

To me it probably makes business sense to cancel the planned celebration if itís going to be perceived as offensive by some.
The flip side of that is that today marketing and promotion are often tied to infamy and self-deprecating humor to garner attention. Regardless of how this plays out the Sox have already put their name in the news for a couple news cycles in different ways. Some younger generation fans who might not know about this might think it's cool to learn about it and want to participate in a night to remember it.

It's marketing. It gets the name out there. I seriously doubt anyone other than a few diehards (and apparently some people who feel they were being attacked back in the day) are seriously worried about the Sox promoting this. I'd actually bet there are many who are going "Oh Disco Demolition, I remember that! COOL! Let's do it."

Pack the place to the rafters again, just don't blow anything up and DON'T schedule a doubleheader...
Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

If I was going to the game tonight, I'd do one of two things: Either turn down the shirt or throw it away. This is the dumbest promotion ever and can be taken as a Reinsdorf way to take one more swipe at Bill Veeck. There is no way I'd ever want to wear a stupid T-shirt like this. Use it to clean my car? Maybe. Wear it? No way.

Disco Demolition is a symbol of one thing: During the '70's White Sox ownership had no resources to run a major league baseball franchise. So, they tried a promotion to get people in the park and it truly blew up in their faces. It was the low point in Bill Veeck's career and the low point in a decade where the team had seven losing seasons and two last-place finishes.

Yes, it is part of history. No, it isn't anything to celebrate. And of course, the Trib has a huge photo in today's Sports section. It is the most coverage the team has ever received this season. Wake up, White Sox. Your franchise is being smeared again.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm going to the game tonight. If I get a t-shirt, I'll keep it and wear it. Sometimes a t-shirt is just a t-shirt.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 5-2
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

282-243
Old 06-13-2019, 09:57 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
Disco Demolition is a symbol of one thing: During the '70's White Sox ownership had no resources to run a major league baseball franchise. So, they tried a promotion to get people in the park and it truly blew up in their faces. It was the low point in Bill Veeck's career and the low point in a decade where the team had seven losing seasons and two last-place finishes.

You nailed it, and that's why it's weird for the team to celebrate it as just a fun promotion that got out of hand. It was the biggest symbol of a franchise that had become a laughingstock - a lousy team on the field, no plan to become competitive, a decaying ballpark, and a once-respected owner who relying on increasingly desperate stunts and promotions just to stay solvent. (That was the same season Veeck made Don Kessinger player-manager, and I think it was the same season they held rock concerts on the field that turned the whole outfield into mud and sand.) Whatever the cultural significance may be from the event, it gave the franchise a black-eye from a baseball standpoint and really tarnished the end of Veeck's career with the media, the city, and a lot of Sox fans.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
You nailed it, and that's why it's weird for the team to celebrate it as just a fun promotion that got out of hand. It was the biggest symbol of a franchise that had become a laughingstock - a lousy team on the field, no plan to become competitive, a decaying ballpark, and a once-respected owner who relying on increasingly desperate stunts and promotions just to stay solvent. (That was the same season Veeck made Don Kessinger player-manager, and I think it was the same season they held rock concerts on the field that turned the whole outfield into mud and sand.) Whatever the cultural significance may be from the event, it gave the franchise a black-eye from a baseball standpoint and really tarnished the end of Veeck's career with the media, the city, and a lot of Sox fans.
I agree that's all true... 40 years ago. Ask the casual fan what their memories are of Disco Demolition TODAY and I doubt most of them remember it that way. They probably crack a smile and chuckle a bit.

This is a historically significant part of the Sox past. I see nothing wrong with celebrating or at least remembering it.

Comes a day you have to put that anxiety down and embrace what you are. We're Sox fans. We're always going to be different. We're always going to have thorny parts to our past. We're always going to be the underdog. Stop trying to play by their rules.
Closed Thread