White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Good summary. For Rutherford's LHP split, I wonder what his average is over the last 10 or 12 games since his bat started coming around? I believe .116 is for the entire season, including that ice cold start he had.

I read somewhere earlier today (I think on Sox Machine) that Madrigal is hitting .360 over his last 24 games. This includes games at W-S before his promotion to AA.
I saw Madrigal play toward the end of spring training. It sure seemed that he hit the ball very hard in each at bat.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I know this is going to come as a huge surprise to people, but WS has been postponed...
Are triple headers an option?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

FYI, Birmingaham has no hits or walks through 6.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
FYI, Birmingaham has no hits or walks through 6.
The good news is Birmingham has shutout Jacksonville through 8 behind Battenfield, Dopico, and Martinez.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Birmingham avoided ignominy. 2 walks and hit by Gonzalez in the bottom of the 8th produced a run.

Last edited by KyWhiSoxFan; 06-12-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Birmingham avoided ignominy. 2 walks and hit by Gonzalez in the bottom of the 8th produced a run.
And a win!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Sheets took the first walk and Gonzalez provided the hit that drove Torres (PR for Sheets) in.

Not going to see many box scores with 1 H 1 R and a pitcher with a W beside his name from the same team so here it is...

https://www.milb.com/gameday/jumbo-s...b=,game=574379
Old 06-12-2019, 10:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Sheets took the first walk and Gonzalez provided the hit that drove Torres (PR for Sheets) in.

Not going to see many box scores with 1 H 1 R and a pitcher with a W beside his name from the same team so here it is...

https://www.milb.com/gameday/jumbo-s...b=,game=574379
I remember the Sox puling that off in 2006 against the Cardinals. The only hit was a Jim Thome HR and we won 1-0.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00606220.shtml
Old 06-13-2019, 06:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I remember the Sox puling that off in 2006 against the Cardinals. The only hit was a Jim Thome HR and we won 1-0.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00606220.shtml
I remember that because they used up all their offense the previous 2 days scoring 33. I was at the 20-6 game.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Comes as no surprise the Sox are getting all their 5-10 round picks to sign for next to nothing, but interesting to see several picks after round 10 go way over slot to get their guys. I like what they did here a lot. There was little value to be had in 5-10, but they are cleaning up 2-4 and with some of the kids 11 and after. A lot more High School talent than we usually see, a lot more.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Comes as no surprise the Sox are getting all their 5-10 round picks to sign for next to nothing, but interesting to see several picks after round 10 go way over slot to get their guys. I like what they did here a lot. There was little value to be had in 5-10, but they are cleaning up 2-4 and with some of the kids 11 and after. A lot more High School talent than we usually see, a lot more.

The Rookie League (Great Falls) season gets underway tomorrow and the Arizona Summer League starts on Monday. I'd imagine we'll start seeing draft picks reporting to these teams in the near future.

I don't know when Vaughn will sign, but I'd imagine they'll be sending him to Kannapolis to start off with and the goal is for him to end the season at W-S just like Madrigal did last year.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
The Rookie League (Great Falls) season gets underway tomorrow and the Arizona Summer League starts on Monday. I'd imagine we'll start seeing draft picks reporting to these teams in the near future.

I don't know when Vaughn will sign, but I'd imagine they'll be sending him to Kannapolis to start off with and the goal is for him to end the season at W-S just like Madrigal did last year.
If Vaughn starts in Kannapolis, it should be a quick trip there. He's way too good for that level.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post

I think Vaughn blows through the A level pitching and ends up in AA end of the season. I expect him to be in AAA by the end of next year latest.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good article in the Athletic today (subscription required) about Zack Burdi.

For all those freaking out about his numbers in Birmingham right now:

Quote:
“Getting my ass kicked,” Burdi said, “has not only been eye-opening, but a realization. You take a year away from the game, you’ve got catching up to do. I’ve got catching up to do. I’m a realist. I know why I got drafted by the White Sox. I know they drafted me to be a power arm, a back of the bullpen guy. I’m going to get back there. I know that. But it’s a process.”
From the rest of the article, it sounds like his stuff isn't quite all the way back to where it was pre-surgery (which often takes a season and full offseason to happen), but he has a good handle on the process. Numbers aside, it seems like he has a good mindset and knows what he needs to do--I love the part quoted above because I'm a firm believer that players who have experienced failure at some high level before the big leagues (college or pro) are much more likely to be able to make adjustments and have sustained MLB success than those who don't (looking at you, Gordon Beckham). Once he gets the feel back (again, it usually takes a year or two) I'm fairly confident that the patience will pay off and he'll be a solid presence in the back end of the bullpen for a hopefully contending team.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Good article in the Athletic today (subscription required) about Zack Burdi.

For all those freaking out about his numbers in Birmingham right now:

From the rest of the article, it sounds like his stuff isn't quite all the way back to where it was pre-surgery (which often takes a season and full offseason to happen), but he has a good handle on the process. Numbers aside, it seems like he has a good mindset and knows what he needs to do--I love the part quoted above because I'm a firm believer that players who have experienced failure at some high level before the big leagues (college or pro) are much more likely to be able to make adjustments and have sustained MLB success than those who don't (looking at you, Gordon Beckham). Once he gets the feel back (again, it usually takes a year or two) I'm fairly confident that the patience will pay off and he'll be a solid presence in the back end of the bullpen for a hopefully contending team.
If Burdi makes gradual progress the rest of 2019 to get back up to where he left off pre-TJS and then is able to resume a quick progression to success in the majors next season, that would be fine with me. Small sample size, but he's looked better in his last 4 outings - scattering 2 hits, no runs, with no walks and 5 Ks in 4.0 IP.

This might serve as a cautionary tale that Kopech very well might not be ready to pitch like a potential ace right from the get-go next April even if he does eventually return to 100%.
Closed Thread