White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Put me firmly in the "No Thanks" to giving Yolmer a full time starting job. He is average back up guy, plays good D, he has a role, but is not a starter, and doesn't have nearly the power to be a starter at 3rd.

Unless we are punting next year totally, which it looks like. Then I am fine with Starting him just to help drive up the draft slot.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Does Jake Burger's Achilles injury impact the thinking on third base? If he tore his Achilles -- as is being reported -- that may impact the Sox thinking. Burger won't play until spring training 2019 at the earliest. Can't expect him to get to Chicago until two or three years after that.

So, what will the Sox do? Moustakas is available now. Manny Machado is a free agent after 2018 but I doubt he'll sign here. Josh Donaldson is a free agent after 2018, too. That's a possibility. And then there is Nolan Arenado. He's a terrific player but won't be a free agent until after 2020.

Donaldson is 32. Moustakas is 29.

Moustakas hits from the left side and Donaldson is a righty.

Donaldson has consistently posted a better OBP than Moustakas.

I don't know what the Sox should do here. This is a tough call that depends, I think, on how well the Sox think that Donaldson will age.

Any thoughts on what the Sox should do?
Old 02-26-2018, 04:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

I say go all in on Machado. If he can't be signed, try to work a sign-and-trade for Nolan Arenado, somehow. I'd say go for Donaldson, but he's getting old, and I dunno how long he can hold up that level of production. I'm am NOT a fan at *all* of signing Moustakas.

There aren't many good options here after Machado.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 02-26-2018, 04:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Part of my calculus on Moustakas was not wanting to block Burgerís natural progression. Now that heís probably going to miss a full season, it sets his development timeline back one more full year. Iím thus more open to a 2-3 year deal for Moustakas.

Iím less of a fan for $100M+ deals for Machado or Arenado knowing that the later years of those contracts the Sox would be paying for declining production and thus wouldnít want to hand out big deals to retain their home-grown stars like Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Kopech, Giilito, Hansen, etc.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:56 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

I think the calls to sign Moustakas are hasty and ill-considered.

Pro Moustakas:
He is a better 3B than who they currently have in house, or are likely to have in the next two years, given Burger's injury.

He bats lefty.

Con:
2018 isn't going to be matter. Why pay Moustakas for 2018? They might as well keep running Sanchez, Saladino, Davidson, even Delmonico out there.

They would have to give up a second-round pick. A high second-round pick is nothing to sneeze at; there will be players better than Burger out there for the taking.

Moustakas would not be a flip candidate. To compensate for the loss of the pick and fill the hole that was just created, they should sign him for at least 3 years. That would mean he's earning money that could be used for Machado, Arenado, Donaldson. Those players are difference-makers; Moustakas is not.

If you do manage to sign a Machado-caliber 3B, what do you do with Moustakas? His value is tied to him hitting pretty well while playing a decent third base. His salary would be awfully high for a reserve, especially as he ages.

It would be far better to trade for a young 3B. We finally have the chips to do so.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=3b
Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
If you do manage to sign a Machado-caliber 3B, what do you do with Moustakas? His value is tied to him hitting pretty well while playing a decent third base. His salary would be awfully high for a reserve, especially as he ages.

It would be far better to trade for a young 3B. We finally have the chips to do so.
Machado will be playing shortstop next season, not third base. My guess is that he will be wearing Yankee pinstripes while he does it.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Machado will be playing shortstop next season, not third base. My guess is that he will be wearing Yankee pinstripes while he does it.
I'd prefer signing him and moving Anderson to third, or trading for a blocked Yankee prospect, to signing Moustakas.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
I'd prefer signing him and moving Anderson to third, or trading for a blocked Yankee prospect, to signing Moustakas.
When all is said and done, I donít see this team committing to one of those $200 million mega-deals.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
When all is said and done, I donít see this team committing to one of those $200 million mega-deals.
I do believe that, as of this moment, Hahn intends to be a serious player for some top end free agents. Look what the Sox ponied up for Robert; that's evidence of willingness to spend.

Of course, they could get outbid for their top targets, or those players might not want to come to the Sox. But the Sox will go all in on somebody.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I think the calls to sign Moustakas are hasty and ill-considered.

Pro Moustakas:
He is a better 3B than who they currently have in house, or are likely to have in the next two years, given Burger's injury.

He bats lefty.

Con:
2018 isn't going to be matter. Why pay Moustakas for 2018? They might as well keep running Sanchez, Saladino, Davidson, even Delmonico out there.

They would have to give up a second-round pick. A high second-round pick is nothing to sneeze at; there will be players better than Burger out there for the taking.

Moustakas would not be a flip candidate. To compensate for the loss of the pick and fill the hole that was just created, they should sign him for at least 3 years. That would mean he's earning money that could be used for Machado, Arenado, Donaldson. Those players are difference-makers; Moustakas is not.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=3b

While I agree with you that we should not sign moose, I don't think you can say he would not be a flippable candidate. I understand that their is not much interest now but that is due to many strange factors. i'm pretty sure the Yankees will be interested at the deadline if the sox eat enough salary to keep them under the luxury tax. We probably could get Clint Frazier for him. Also injuries will occur to contenders.

Also, I keep reading in other posts that Machado is going to play short next year. This is an astute marketing ploy by him & his agent. Being available to play at 2 desirable positions increase the # of suitors & drives up the price. If the sox outbid everyone else & want him to play 3b, I'm confident he'll play 3b.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 PM
WSI Guru

I'm wondering if the injury to Burger actually makes it less likely the Sox sign Moustakas. Boras might think the Sox are desperate now, and demand an extra year on the deal. I don't think Hahn would go for that, nor should he.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm open to signing Moose on a deal that is three years or less. For a longer term than that, forget about it. Yesterday's bad news does not change my perspective at all.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 02-27-2018, 02:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I'm wondering if the injury to Burger actually makes it less likely the Sox sign Moustakas. Boras might think the Sox are desperate now, and demand an extra year on the deal. I don't think Hahn would go for that, nor should he.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm open to signing Moose on a deal that is three years or less. For a longer term than that, forget about it. Yesterday's bad news does not change my perspective at all.
Good point considering it's an agent who will obviously push the envelope more than most.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

Burger was never going to make the MLB roster so I don't think his injury impacts the Sox point of view on Moustakas.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
Burger was never going to make the MLB roster so I don't think his injury impacts the Sox point of view on Moustakas.
Well, of course not. Duh.

But until Monday, there was a chance Burger could have made the MLB roster in 2020. That would be a real reach now, since all of 2018 is lost for him.

So, that leaves the Sox looking for someone to play third base for at least the next three seasons. One possible option is to sign a veteran such as Moustakas to a three-year deal.

No one gives a hoot about the 2018 season. The Sox are not going to contend. It's about finding a way to fill spots for a potential run in 2020.

It's OK if they want Sanchez to play 3B this year. However, I don't think that's a viable option two years from now when, hopefully, the organization is poised to contend. They will have to add someone from outside the organization to play 3B sometime between today and Opening Day 2020. It could be now, it could be next offseason, it could be two offseasons from now. But that needs to happen.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM
WSI High Priest

For me, it's not about Moose. It's about losing a second round pick for a stopgap. I say for the next couple of years (at least) keep the prospect pipeline wide open.

277-241.
Closed Thread