White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Pitchers seem to have more value at the deadline than corner IFs who play average defense with poor OBP.

Not saying Moustakas would bring back a king's ransom. I'm saying he would bring back a player or players who are more valuable combined than one second round player.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

I say go ahead and try to sign Moustakas on a three year deal. That takes care of 3B for the next three years and they wonít have to pay ridiculous money for Manny or Donaldson. Remember if some these young players develop to their potential they will want to get paid too; so the Sox should be looking to sign some quality free agents at bargain prices.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:36 PM
WSI Prelate

If itís a 2-3 year deal, I wonít be pissed. Itís not my first choice, but it wonít make me angry.

If itís 4+ years, I will be pissed.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Absolutely not.
Another Frazier
Just not the time to load up with slightly above average players. You fill holes at the end with players like Moustakas. He's not a cornerstone.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Please no. He's not that good, he will be in serious decline by the middle of our contention window, and there is a lot of time to find better, younger, cheaper options.

Without having to give up a second-round pick.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
If itís a 2-3 year deal, I wonít be pissed. Itís not my first choice, but it wonít make me angry.

If itís 4+ years, I will be pissed.
If it's only a 2-3 year deal, then what's the point of forfeiting a draft pick to get him if he'll be gone by the time the Sox are good again (with maybe a 1-year overlap in 2020)?

I know it's a 2nd round pick and not a first round pick, but it's not like everything after the 1st round is garbage. Alec Hansen was our 2nd round pick in 2016.

I'm not convinced the sign him and flip him plan is a sure-fired one either.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Iíd absolutely sign him for ~$10 per. He should remain very movable with his power and helps us win a few more games as the kids learn how to be pros.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post

I'm not convinced the sign him and flip him plan is a sure-fired one either.
Indeed - nobody wants him now. Yea they could eventually flip him for a B prospect - but you have to give up a #2 to do so, and it would also close up opportunities for young players.
It's unfortunate for Moustakas that there aren't any big holes at 3B among contenders. But that's not the Sox problem.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why is Moose not a fit for the Cards?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-22-2018, 06:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Why is Moose not a fit for the Cards?
Article says theyíre happy with Gyorko.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Indeed - nobody wants him now. Yea they could eventually flip him for a B prospect - but you have to give up a #2 to do so, and it would also close up opportunities for young players.
It's unfortunate for Moustakas that there aren't any big holes at 3B among contenders. But that's not the Sox problem.
Hindsight is 20/20, foresight is gold. One injury to a third baseman and you have valuable resources to swap for more young talent.

Thereís no one heís currently blocking at 3b, except Davidson and we can still get him plenty of ABs backing up 3B, 1B and DH. I was hoping the Sox would start jumping into FA now and get some bargain deals on guys who help us now with durable veteran leadership and later via trade.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
Pitchers seem to have more value at the deadline than corner IFs who play average defense with poor OBP.
I donít see any openings for a starter, but how about Greg Holland on a two-year deal to close until July?

Like Moustakas, itís all about the likelihood that Holland pitches well enough to warrant a package that represents more value than the draft pick.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I donít see any openings for a starter, but how about Greg Holland on a two-year deal to close until July?

Like Moustakas, itís all about the likelihood that Holland pitches well enough to warrant a package that represents more value than the draft pick.
Well, itís not only about the draft pick compensation. For 2018, itís also about what young players arenít getting opportunities by signing the flippable veteran. The Sox donít yet have many young pitchers who are being counted on to close or even to pitch any late inning high leverage situations.

So by that logic, Iíd be more likely to support signing Holland than Moustakas. As a late-inning reliever, heís probably more likely to fetch a halfway decent return.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:11 AM
WSI High Priest

I wouldn't consider signing any 30+ year old FA to a multi-year deal until a year from now. Let's use this season to evaluate our in-house options going forward.

277-241.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:45 AM
WSI Regular

I wouldn't hate a short term deal, like others have said. He'd probably be a 2-3 WAR player, so he wouldn't be a cornerstone but he WOULD plug a hole.

Given his agent though, someone will give him $100 million. Pass.
Closed Thread