White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Committing an error because of a bad hop is not a "lack of effort".

His OPS was around .900 before his hamstring injury which caused him to lose his timing because he wasn't playing. He's fine.
I didn't see the play closely, I just thought I heard the ESPN guy mention something along those lines. Granted, I know better than to listen to what anyone on there has to say. I hope he's fine, we are counting on him big moving forward.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Man, when he looks bad he looks really lost at the plate though. He went through a really good stretch where he wasn't striking out much but his babip caught up to him. Now he is just striking out again. It gets ugly when he struggles and looks incredible when he doesn't.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Are we going to be doing this until he becomes an all star, because his average will probably drop to .230 and then bump back up to .280. I just really think we would be better off not going nuts with every AB.
Yeah, I'm done with this thread.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 PM
WSI Prelate

I think it's fair to criticize your prized #1 prospect when he plays like dog****.

The K-rate which many have been concerned about is very alarming at this stage of his development. This can't be ignored.

Lucky for him he does other things well around the game, but if that bat doesn't turn elite then definitely that would be a huge disappointment.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I think it's fair to criticize your prized #1 prospect when he plays like dog****.

The K-rate which many have been concerned about is very alarming at this stage of his development. This can't be ignored.

Lucky for him he does other things well around the game, but if that bat doesn't turn elite then definitely that would be a huge disappointment.
Stanton, Cespedes, and Goldschmidt also in the top 10 in K rate. No longer indicative of suckitude.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Stanton, Cespedes, and Goldschmidt also in the top 10 in K rate. No longer indicative of suckitude.
I don't think Yoan has earned this kind of equity yet.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Yeah, because he's twenty-three years old and has less than a season's worth of ABs under his belt.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
So did Cespedes, Stanton, and Goldschmidt start striking out more often only after establishing themselves?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 05-30-2018, 09:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Yeah, because he's twenty-three years old and has less than a season's worth of ABs under his belt.
It's a matter of perspective. Torres, Acuna, and Albies are red hot and it is making some of our fans sweat. There is absolutely no reason to panic, but we want immediate results. We are basically starved for production or some kind of greatness. I am willing to bet this dissipates next year when the top of the order combines Moncada, Abreu, Sanchez, and Jimenez in some form.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
So did Cespedes, Stanton, and Goldschmidt start striking out more often only after establishing themselves?
I don't know, I guess we can look that up.

I really don't understand the argument here anyway. I can name a longer list of MLB superstars who are not striking out at a 220 pace (and I don't think those guys mentioned above have come close to 220 for a season either).

Anyone that doesn't have a concern about that is a bit delusional as a Sox fan.

Merkin posted this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/stat...97920016289792

Scott Merkin

Verified account

@scottmerkin
16h16 hours ago
More
Moncada playing in his 98th game with the White Sox tonight. His White Sox numbers overall entering today: .236/.333/.425, 15 HR, 19 2B, 41 RBI

Merkin didn't include 141 Strikeouts in that run.

Yes this is only a sample size of 100 games. But even with that, I expected Yoan to be much better at this point. Maybe he was rushed up here as many tend to use as a crutch. But keep in mind the Red Sox had rushed him to the Big Leagues also.

And again, in no way am I putting the "Bust" Label on him. That's equally as dumb an observation to make this early. But I do have my concerns here from this 100 game sample size.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't know, I guess we can look that up.

I really don't understand the argument here anyway. I can name a longer list of MLB superstars who are not striking out at a 220 pace (and I don't think those guys mentioned above have come close to 220 for a season either).

Anyone that doesn't have a concern about that is a bit delusional as a Sox fan.

Merkin posted this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/stat...97920016289792

Scott Merkin

Verified account

@scottmerkin
16h16 hours ago
More
Moncada playing in his 98th game with the White Sox tonight. His White Sox numbers overall entering today: .236/.333/.425, 15 HR, 19 2B, 41 RBI

Merkin didn't include 141 Strikeouts in that run.

Yes this is only a sample size of 100 games. But even with that, I expected Yoan to be much better at this point. Maybe he was rushed up here as many tend to use as a crutch. But keep in mind the Red Sox had rushed him to the Big Leagues also.

And again, in no way I'm I putting the "Bust" Label on him. That's equally as dumb an observation to make this early. But I do have my concerns here from this 100 game sample size.
The k's are obviously bad, but that extrapolates to about 25 hr and rbi in one full season, and I'll take it.

I think the k's improve, and they have slowly done so. The guy was in the 40's. Now it's in the low 40's. Granted, his BABIP has finally started to flatten out and he is not making as hard of contact, but he isn't as bad as he has looked in the last couple of weeks. I am willing to bet he ends the season with a .250/ .260 average. Is that great? No. But it's not horrible when he can produce 25/ 70 at the one spot.

Additionally, the guy is fine tuning his bat from the right hand side.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:13 AM
WSI Personality

Color me not shocked that a guy coming back from an injured hammy is still knocking some rust off and getting his timing down. He's going to be just fine. In any case, this is basically a developmental year for him.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 PM
WSI Prelate

In before Moncada has a bad night since he is facing Kluber, and this page starts melting down.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:19 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
In before Moncada has a bad night since he is facing Kluber, and this page starts melting down.
Leadoff single right on cue
Old 05-30-2018, 12:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Leadoff single right on cue
And then falls victim to a "strike 'em out, throw 'em out." A real major leaguer would run like Kenny Lofton in his prime. Major bust.