White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Kopech with 7 scoreless again today. Over his last 6 starts/41 IP, 21 hits, 7 walks, 54 strikeouts, and 3, yes, 3, earned runs.

As MJ would say, the roof is the ceiling for this kid. He could be pushing a top 5 and the big leagues next year if he keeps up anything close to this.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
We might need to start talking about Anthony Villa as future 1B conversation:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2017/ALL

Don't care what league or level this is, those numbers are absurd.

Late bloomer at 23, but maybe this is a guy who should start moving quickly thru the system here soon.
Lots of 1b/DH prospects ahead of him, though. He'll need consistent at bat, and I'm not sure where he could get them besides the rok league right now.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Insane power. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
For the love of god, can someone promote Jimenez already!?!?

2 home runs.
Seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
... what is he still doing in Winston-Salem? Getz hinted they might send him to Birmingham soon. What else are they waiting to see?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Late bloomer at 23, but maybe this is a guy who should start moving quickly thru the system here soon.
Yes, but 23 in Rookie ball does make a difference. Let's see what he can do in A ball next year. If he continues like that then perhaps he might be worth getting excited about. If he continues like that they should move him up the ladder fairly quickly to see how he does against age appropriate competition.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Kopech with 7 scoreless again today. Over his last 6 starts/41 IP, 21 hits, 7 walks, 54 strikeouts, and 3, yes, 3, earned runs.

As MJ would say, the roof is the ceiling for this kid. He could be pushing a top 5 and the big leagues next year if he keeps up anything close to this.
As with Jiminez amd AA... what are they waiting to see before moving him to AAA?

A lot of guys with his stuff and those kind of numbers go straight to the majors from AA.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Kopech and Jimenez have both outgrown their current placements, clearly. Wouldn't surprise me if Kopech forced an MLB promotion sometime next season around the ASB.

Last edited by shes; 08-13-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Kopech and Jimenez have both outgrown their current placements, clearly. Wouldn't surprise me if Kopech forced an MLB promotion sometime next season around the ASB.
Shoot, right now I'd think he's pushing for an MLB spot. He is clearly better than James Shields. However, Giolito should be first in line for that promotion.

Our rotation right now should be:

Rodon
Holland
Gonzalez
Lopez
Giolito

Next year, I wouldn't put it past Kopech from earning a spot out of spring.

Rodon
Lopez
Giolito
Kopech
FA signing (veteran presence)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

It's a college kid repeating Rookie Ball and still striking out a ton. The jump to Kanny next year will probably expose him.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 08-13-2017, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Funny how so many are clamoring for promotions and getting guys through the minors quickly.

Any doubt now that the White Sox have philosophically changed the way they handle the minor leagues?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Funny how so many are clamoring for promotions and getting guys through the minors quickly.

Any doubt now that the White Sox have philosophically changed the way they handle the minor leagues?
Yes, and for the most part I like it. But if a guy really has conquered his league and has nothing left to gain from being there he should be moved up. Kopech and Jiminez appear to fall in that group. Especially Kopech. He needed to work on control and has clearly done that. Perhaps there are aspects of Eloy's game they still want him working on and think it best he work on it against lower competition. I can't see what that might be by the numbers but perhaps there is something. With Kopech it was easy to spot and it is easy to see he has solved it. If Kopech really has his stuff under control like the numbers suggest then he could make the jump to being a front line major league starter today. I favor sending him to AAA to see if it stands up against higher competition first but his main competition is himself.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Just my opinion, but maybe it's best to let Kopech finish in Birmingham and take satisfaction from a great season. Then, start next year in Charlotte and if, like Lopez this year, he continues to show mastery, then call him up to the bigs.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:12 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Shoot, right now I'd think he's pushing for an MLB spot. He is clearly better than James Shields.
He is but he doesn't have Shields' salary does he?

Don't rush the kid, he'll come up in due course.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post

He has a .66 era in that span. Incredible. He is too good for
That level. On merit, assuming Moncada is who we think he will be, we will end up being huge winners of the Sale
Trade. Even if
The Red Sox win a title because of him.

I think Kopech can be Sale good. Great body. Great work ethic. He can be a star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Just my opinion, but maybe it's best to let Kopech finish in Birmingham and take satisfaction from a great season. Then, start next year in Charlotte and if, like Lopez this year, he continues to show mastery, then call him up to the bigs.
I agree. No rush. Let him do his thing. If he is
Still dominating next year, then call him up In September to get him ready for 2019.

2019 is when we will begin to see great baseball here.

Jimenez will be called up, Giolito will be up, Fulmer will be in the pen, and our starting rotation will more or less be ready to go.

I think that's when we see our first season above .500.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Gillespie with his second home run since joining our club. Wondering if he could regain some of that promise he once had.
Closed Thread