GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Those guys, plus Robert, give us half a solid lineup for the next half-decade. It’s the other half of the lineup that worries me.
Quote:
McCann is only guaranteed to be around for one more year, and it will be pretty tough for him to repeat this performance. There is no guarantee whatsoever on how long Abreu will be here, or if he even will be here at all. Madrigal hasn’t played a single game in the majors.

Still lots of long-term questions that need answers...
At least the 3 guys in the majors I noted are shaping up to be premier bats. More than just solid MLB guys IMO. Robert promises to be along the same lines too.

Madrigal is always controversial to some because of his size, but he's only 1 year removed from being drafted and already has looked good in AA and AAA. So far, he's been able to put up a robust OPS at both of those levels.

We have Andrew Vaughn waiting in the wings for when Abreu's productive years come to an end. Yes, he's only played 2 months of pro ball so far, but his ceiling is rather high and I don't see any reason to be a dark cloud about either him or Madrigal at this point.

So, IMO that gets us 2/3 of the way there. Yes, there are serious questions about the remaining 1/3 spots (C, RF, DH), but does that mean we can't appreciate what Eloy, TA, and Moncada have done this year?
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
McCann's post All-Start game numbers are frightening.

Not saying that's what we should expect, same way we shouldn't expect his first half to repeat.

I think he's somewhere in between, which is average.
More and more I知 leaning towards addressing C through FA, hopefully with Grandal. Turn a key position from a question mark into a strength. They were reportedly interested in signing him last winter, hopefully they still are now that the urgency level is going up.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
More and more I知 leaning towards addressing C through FA, hopefully with Grandal. Turn a key position from a question mark into a strength. They were reportedly interested in signing him last winter, hopefully they still are now that the urgency level is going up.
I'd be on board with this. Do this and get a short-term RF to give us time to see if any one of Walker, Rutherford, etc. ever amount to anything.

I think some fans are missing the point in fretting that the internal talent isn't going to fill all nine spots in the lineup. The point is that TA, Yoan, Eloy, and (we hope/expect) Robert give this team four huge impact bats to build a lineup around. Yes, we Sox fans can be happy about the prospect of having these guys at the heart of our lineup for years to come while realizing at the same time that there will be some holes to fill.

Oh, and the Sox need to pay up for a top-tier SP to go along with Giolito, Kopech, and Cease. But, that doesn't mean I'm not excited about Giolito/Kopech/Cease.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
McCann's post All-Start game numbers are frightening.

Not saying that's what we should expect, same way we shouldn't expect his first half to repeat.

I think he's somewhere in between, which is average.
McCann had an OPS of .520 in July to really drag down his second half numbers. He was at .806 in August and so far at .752 in September.

The second half numbers overall are bad but it's all because of s bad slump he had in a single month.

I agree he's not going to have a full year like he had the first half this season, but if he can OPS .750 he'll be just fine.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I'd be on board with this. Do this and get a short-term RF to give us time to see if any one of Walker, Rutherford, etc. ever amount to anything.

I think some fans are missing the point in fretting that the internal talent isn't going to fill all nine spots in the lineup. The point is that TA, Yoan, Eloy, and (we hope/expect) Robert give this team four huge impact bats to build a lineup around. Yes, we Sox fans can be happy about the prospect of having these guys at the heart of our lineup for years to come while realizing at the same time that there will be some holes to fill.

Oh, and the Sox need to pay up for a top-tier SP to go along with Giolito, Kopech, and Cease. But, that doesn't mean I'm not excited about Giolito/Kopech/Cease.
I'm not excited about Cease, and Kopech hasn't pitched in more than a year. Starting pitching through free agency is looking like a sucker bet considering how the market is bound to inflate the necessary commitments beyond reason for what the top free agents will have left in their arms.

It isn't as if the White Sox are the only team with a desperate need for starting pitching. One of the reasons the Angels are so bad this year is that Trevor Cahill got their opening day starting assignment, such is the state of their rotation. And the Angels have spent some money, although not always wisely.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
At least the 3 guys in the majors I noted are shaping up to be premier bats. More than just solid MLB guys IMO. Robert promises to be along the same lines too.

Madrigal is always controversial to some because of his size, but he's only 1 year removed from being drafted and already has looked good in AA and AAA. So far, he's been able to put up a robust OPS at both of those levels.

We have Andrew Vaughn waiting in the wings for when Abreu's productive years come to an end. Yes, he's only played 2 months of pro ball so far, but his ceiling is rather high and I don't see any reason to be a dark cloud about either him or Madrigal at this point.

So, IMO that gets us 2/3 of the way there. Yes, there are serious questions about the remaining 1/3 spots (C, RF, DH), but does that mean we can't appreciate what Eloy, TA, and Moncada have done this year?
It means we can稚 count in them to carry us long-term without some more help. I知 not worried about any of those guys going forward, but the only one I was really worried about going into this season was Robert, and that was because of all the time he missed. I知 not really worried about Collins, either.

I知 worried about the willingness to spend, which will always be a worry with this ownership. To a lesser extent, I知 worried that none of the guys in the Walker/Rutherford/Basabe/Adolfo/Gonzalez group had a breakout 2019 and moved to the front of the pack.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Willingness to spend stupidly should be a bigger concern.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Willingness to spend stupidly should be a bigger concern.
Agreed. Half the armchair GMs around here would hand out hundreds of millions of dollars to future Adam LaRouches just so they can say they're making the team better.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old Today, 12:03 AM
WSI Regular

While we're on the subject of future Sox players, Evan Marshall put in another solid performance today bringing his ERA back down to 2.86. Because Marshall had a momentary rough patch, the haters here demanded that he be cut so that another team could have his quality services. Marshall has proven that he deserves to stay with the Sox for another year or so at least and that he is part of the solution.
Old Today, 12:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
While we're on the subject of future Sox players, Evan Marshall put in another solid performance today bringing his ERA back down to 2.86. Because Marshall had a momentary rough patch, the haters here demanded that he be cut so that another team could have his quality services. Marshall has proven that he deserves to stay with the Sox for another year or so at least and that he is part of the solution.
Going into tonight, Marshall had a 4.91 ERA and a .267/.368/.455 opponents slash in his previous 30 games. He pulled a wonderful first half completely out of his ass, but it痴 time to put that mirage behind us and move on.
Old Today, 12:32 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Going into tonight, Marshall had a 4.91 ERA and a .267/.368/.455 opponents slash in his previous 30 games. He pulled a wonderful first half completely out of his ass, but it痴 time to put that mirage behind us and move on.
Even if he had a 4.91 ERA for the whole year that would still make him better than all too many Sox pitchers including the Herrera guy who was reupped for an outrageous amount of money.
Old Today, 01:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
Even if he had a 4.91 ERA for the whole year that would still make him better than all too many Sox pitchers including the Herrera guy who was reupped for an outrageous amount of money.

I'm not sure you understand the Herrera deal. I don't think the White Sox have extended him beyond the two-year deal he signed in January. But I may have missed something. In any case, Evans is part of a bad bullpen. If he looks good in relations to other members of the bad bullpen, it only makes the bullpen look that much worse.
Old Today, 09:13 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I'm not sure you understand the Herrera deal. I don't think the White Sox have extended him beyond the two-year deal he signed in January. But I may have missed something. In any case, Evans is part of a bad bullpen. If he looks good in relations to other members of the bad bullpen, it only makes the bullpen look that much worse.
And he's given up 1 ER off a HR in his last 8 outings. Here's hoping he can continue to figure things out because he's signed for next year, but ideally both Herrera and Marshall would continue to pitch well for the Sox next year.
Old Today, 01:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And he's given up 1 ER off a HR in his last 8 outings. Here's hoping he can continue to figure things out because he's signed for next year, but ideally both Herrera and Marshall would continue to pitch well for the Sox next year.

Herrera has a history of major league success. That doesn't mean he will succeed, but he knows how to pitch. It's a matter of whether he has the stuff. Marshall has no record of consistent major league success. He can look good enough to make some bullpens, but he's having his best season in five years, and he has never been as good as his rookie season with the Diamondbacks. He's a pitcher that catches on with teams until they let him go. He's with his fourth team, and he's never been traded.

Herrera might not have it any more. He looks lime he could still have something, though, although not what he had to help the Royals with their World Series. Marshall is just hanging on to a major league career.