GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2018, 03:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
1982 opened with a twi night doubleheader on a saturday vs. Baltimore.(after a number of snowed out dates)
That was the revamped home schedule. The Sox actually opened the season with a DH at New York, winning both games. The Sox started 1982 8-0, a team record, and finished the year with 87 wins.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That was the revamped home schedule. The Sox actually opened the season with a DH at New York, winning both games. The Sox started 1982 8-0, a team record, and finished the year with 87 wins.
Got it- you're right Lip.
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Castillo, Davidson, Delmonico, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez
Old 04-14-2018, 07:08 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I remember two things about the start of that season-

The Sox were debuting the new unis, and there was a mystery as to what they would be. It was top secret. The snowouts prolonged the debut.

Also, Salome Barojas began that year as unhittable. Without looking it up, he had some crazy numbers in those first two weeks....maybe seven saves in the first eight games?
Old 04-14-2018, 07:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Also, Salome Barojas began that year as unhittable. Without looking it up, he had some crazy numbers in those first two weeks....maybe seven saves in the first eight games?
Five saves in the first eight games. Jerry Koosman had the other one.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

I’m sitting here and watching the Angels playing the Royals with steady snowfall . I have seen plenty of football games in the snow but can’t say I have ever seen anything like this before.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I think these postponements hurt the Twins and help the White Sox.

As we all know, the Sox are playing very poorly in all facets right now. Whenever these postponed games are made up, the Sox almost certainly will be playing better at that time, because they could hardly do much worse than the current state of affairs.

Even if the games had been moved to Chicago with the Twins serving as the home team, I would like Minnesota's chances of earning a series win.

Some have suggested that this weekend being snowed out is a positive for the Sox because it will provide them a "mental break." Whether that yields better results when the team gets to Oakland, I'm not sure, but I also don't think these days off can hurt.
I agree that this snow hurts the Twins much more than the Sox. The next time they play us, they might be facing a different looking team. The Sox might be in a hot streak, Moncada might have figured things out, Kopech or Eloy (or both) could be up with the team, the bullpen issues might be more ironed out, etc. It is unlikely the Sox will be playing worse than they are now when the makeup games are scheduled. I do know that as a devout Twins hater, I would love to see the Sox win all 3 of these makeup games and help prevent the Twins from making the playoffs.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-15-2018, 04:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
I’m sitting here and watching the Angels playing the Royals with steady snowfall . I have seen plenty of football games in the snow but can’t say I have ever seen anything like this before.
The league is clueless. Where is the players association to stop the nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I agree that this snow hurts the Twins much more than the Sox. The next time they play us, they might be facing a different looking team. The Sox might be in a hot streak, Moncada might have figured things out, Kopech or Eloy (or both) could be up with the team, the bullpen issues might be more ironed out, etc.
Maybe, maybe not. I am not sure how you go about validating that assertion.

As for Jimenez & Kopech what about their time in service clock? Why start that early when is seems the popular belief is that a bad season leads to a better draft pick?

Even if Jimenez comes up this year how can anyone him to expect him to be preform anywhere near what he's done to date against lesser competition?

The same for Kopech. Each has a tremendous learning curve ahead of them.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 04-15-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I remember two things about the start of that season-

The Sox were debuting the new unis, and there was a mystery as to what they would be. It was top secret. The snowouts prolonged the debut.

I thought they were unveiled at the end of the '81 season when the fans voted on them?

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I thought they were unveiled at the end of the '81 season when the fans voted on them?
No they didn't start being used until the 1982 season. You are thinking of the silver & black pinstripe uniforms which were unveiled late in the 1990 season at home against Milwaukee, Minnesota and Seattle.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I agree that this snow hurts the Twins much more than the Sox. The next time they play us, they might be facing a different looking team. The Sox might be in a hot streak, Moncada might have figured things out, Kopech or Eloy (or both) could be up with the team, the bullpen issues might be more ironed out, etc.
I've seen Twins fans posting the exact same thoughts.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I've seen Twins fans posting the exact same thoughts.
True, this was most likely an easy 2-of-3 for them, at worst.