White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,558
Default July 24 -- The last date a Sox starter was the winning pitcher

The last time a Sox starter was the winning pitcher was July 24 when Rodon beat the Angels. That's 18 games ago. Sox starters have thrown several gems during that time and the bullpen couldn't hold the lead. Not sure what (if anything) to make of this, but 18 games (11% of the 162 game season) is a long stretch. Hopefully it ends tonight.
__________________
2018 Attendance Record: 5-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

277-240.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez
The last time a Sox starter was the winning pitcher was July 24 when Rodon beat the Angels. That's 18 games ago. Sox starters have thrown several gems during that time and the bullpen couldn't hold the lead. Not sure what (if anything) to make of this, but 18 games is a long stretch. Hopefully it ends tonight.
This bullpen is a poorly-managed group of poor performers. It really is as simple as it sounds. For many of them, this will be the last 44 games they ever play in this uniform.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2018, 02:38 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,679
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
This bullpen is a poorly-managed group of poor performers. It really is as simple as it sounds. For many of them, this will be the last 44 games they ever play in this uniform.

What might be a better way to manage a group of poor performers, some of whom - Avilan and Cedeno, for instance - are likely still being made available in trade?


I don't like playing matchups and using three or four relievers to get through an inning, either, but if your lefty specialist is likely to get creamed by RH hitters, then perhaps it's best not to let him face RH hitters.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
What might be a better way to manage a group of poor performers, some of whom - Avilan and Cedeno, for instance - are likely still being made available in trade?


I don't like playing matchups and using three or four relievers to get through an inning, either, but if your lefty specialist is likely to get creamed by RH hitters, then perhaps it's best not to let him face RH hitters.
Luis Avilan has no trade value, and a handful of successful one-batter lefty-lefty stints between now and August 31st is not going to change that. Start giving guys clean innings, longer leashes, and more days off. In other words, start managing like a team that is 30+ games under .500 in mid-August.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2018, 06:44 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Luis Avilan has no trade value, and a handful of successful one-batter lefty-lefty stints between now and August 31st is not going to change that. Start giving guys clean innings, longer leashes, and more days off. In other words, start managing like a team that is 30+ games under .500 in mid-August.

Ricky was going to put in Mariano Rivera, but he's not on the team. Like better handling of Vieira is going to stop 97 from going out at 107. In that respect he's the new Nate Jones.
__________________
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 32,950
Default

With this bullpen there's not much you can do you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

And according to some the bullpen figure to be just as bad next year since they don't feel now is the time to improve it.

I respectfully disagree. I think for the good of the team (and the fan base) they have got to start showing improvement next year. A good way to do that is not piss away a dozen or so games where you've got the lead late in the game.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko
Ricky was going to put in Mariano Rivera, but he's not on the team. Like better handling of Vieira is going to stop 97 from going out at 107. In that respect he's the new Nate Jones.
Right. The results are not going to be there anyway, so there is no point in having a quick hook.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:17 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,558
Default

The long wait is over! Giolito with the win -- though the 9th was shaky.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
With this bullpen there's not much you can do you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

And according to some the bullpen figure to be just as bad next year since they don't feel now is the time to improve it.

I respectfully disagree. I think for the good of the team (and the fan base) they have got to start showing improvement next year. A good way to do that is not piss away a dozen or so games where you've got the lead late in the game.
The bullpen should have a lot more talent next year with guys coming up from the minors. Burdi, Hamilton, Frare, Burr, and Fulmer should see some MLB time next year and should be an improvement over the guys they’re running out there right now (at least they’re more talented). I’d rather they see what they’ve got in-house before throwing a bunch of money at the problem. A young, cost-controlled bullpen would be a real asset going forward.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 PM
Falstaff Falstaff is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Humboldt County
Posts: 535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The last time a Sox starter was the winning pitcher was July 24 when Rodon beat the Angels. That's 18 games ago. Sox starters have thrown several gems during that time and the bullpen couldn't hold the lead. Not sure what (if anything) to make of this, but 18 games (11% of the 162 game season) is a long stretch. Hopefully it ends tonight.
Agreed. I keep harping on "invest in the bullpen for 2019" and the White Sox will be surprisingly competitive. That is really the main missing link at this point that is not quite covered with in house / upchucking talent.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-15-2018, 07:33 AM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Agreed. I keep harping on "invest in the bullpen for 2019" and the White Sox will be surprisingly competitive. That is really the main missing link at this point that is not quite covered with in house / upchucking talent.
There are a lot of in-house bullpen options.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2018/8/...hamilton-burdi
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 32,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
The bullpen should have a lot more talent next year with guys coming up from the minors. Burdi, Hamilton, Frare, Burr, and Fulmer should see some MLB time next year and should be an improvement over the guys they’re running out there right now (at least they’re more talented). I’d rather they see what they’ve got in-house before throwing a bunch of money at the problem. A young, cost-controlled bullpen would be a real asset going forward.
On paper you may have a point but the guys you mention don't have a lot of experience at a high level and Fulmer has been awful at times in both locations (Sox and minors).

I think you are putting to much faith in these guys right now.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
On paper you may have a point but the guys you mention don't have a lot of experience at a high level and Fulmer has been awful at times in both locations (Sox and minors).

I think you are putting to much faith in these guys right now.
Getting experience for guys like that is what 2019 is for.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:14 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The long wait is over! Giolito with the win -- though the 9th was shaky.
Rodon today with a shaky 9th.

Two in a row!
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,558
Default

The right handed options from which Renteria can choose (Minaya, Gomez, Danish and Vieira) are terrible.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.