White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 440
Default Brandon McCarthy to retire

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/bran...on/c-290323362

That's it for the 2005 team.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,399
Default

No more nails on this chalkboard.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:54 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,212
Default

Had that huge win in Boston that September. I'll always remember him for that and for what may have been.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 819
Default

He had a really good changeup, will remember him for that and getting Danks in the deal with Texas.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,619
Default

No matter how may teams he played for after he left Chicago, Brandon could never rid himself of the White Sox Injury Culture.
__________________
2018 Attendance Record: 5-7
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

277-241.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 PM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Had that huge win in Boston that September. I'll always remember him for that and for what may have been.
Thats the first thing I always think of when his name comes up. Was thinking at the time that the Sox had a good up and comer. Then came the big surprise of the trade for Danks. Couldnt stay healthy. Reminds me of Jason Bere that way. Thanks for your contributions to 2005, Mr. McCarthy.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:26 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,202
Default

HOF tweeter, at least.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2018, 04:08 AM
Falstaff Falstaff is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Humboldt County
Posts: 540
Default

I remember Brandon McCarthy and his contributions to 2005 and I was surprised that he was not included on the postseason roster. Seemed there was some personality issue with Ozzie? And he got traded with the comment that he was probably not durable enough to be a starter. 13 years in MLB later, McCarthy finally hits the wall! All heart.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2018, 07:28 AM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I remember Brandon McCarthy and his contributions to 2005 and I was surprised that he was not included on the postseason roster. Seemed there was some personality issue with Ozzie? And he got traded with the comment that he was probably not durable enough to be a starter. 13 years in MLB later, McCarthy finally hits the wall! All heart.
It was a decision to choose either McCarthy or El Duque. They chose correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,858
Blog Entries: 1
Default

He had a solid career, even despite the injuries.

Keeping El Duque on the 2005 playoff roster was the right call.

But in 2006, the Sox should have employed a 6-man rotation that included McCarthy (and already had Vazquez replacing El Duque), instead of relegating McCarthy to the bullpen, as he was more suited to starting than relieving. That might have put a bit less stress on the middle relief.

With his retirement, we can close the book on the Danks-McCarthy trade. McCarthy ends his career with 9.6 WAR. Danks put up 20.2 WAR. Between that and the blackout game, Id say the Sox won that trade.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 AM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
With his retirement, we can close the book on the Danks-McCarthy trade. McCarthy ends his career with 9.6 WAR. Danks put up 20.2 WAR. Between that and the blackout game, Id say the Sox won that trade.
One might argue that this trade single-handedly won the blackout game, as Nick Masset was subsequently traded at the 08 deadline for Junior, whose throw to nail Cuddyer at the plate ought to be just as well remembered IMO as Danks' performance and Thome's dinger.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
One might argue that this trade single-handedly won the blackout game, as Nick Masset was subsequently traded at the 08 deadline for Junior, whose throw to nail Cuddyer at the plate ought to be just as well remembered IMO as Danks' performance and Thome's dinger.

And don't forget Brian Anderson's catch at the end.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM
SOX ADDICT '73 SOX ADDICT '73 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orland Hills, IL
Posts: 3,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
And don't forget Brian Anderson's catch at the end.
Or AJ receiving Griffey's throw and blocking the plate.

/end thread hijack
__________________
My man Vincent says:

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
He had a solid career, even despite the injuries.

Keeping El Duque on the 2005 playoff roster was the right call.

But in 2006, the Sox should have employed a 6-man rotation that included McCarthy (and already had Vazquez replacing El Duque), instead of relegating McCarthy to the bullpen, as he was more suited to starting than relieving. That might have put a bit less stress on the middle relief.

With his retirement, we can close the book on the Danks-McCarthy trade. McCarthy ends his career with 9.6 WAR. Danks put up 20.2 WAR. Between that and the blackout game, Id say the Sox won that trade.
McCarthy has actually acknowledged that putting El Duque on the playoff roster was the right call and he said that Danks' success was what led to him to change his approach as a pitcher and use more sinkers and two-seamers. He said something to the effect of he didn't want to be known as the guy in one of the most lop-sided trades of all time, which he thought the trade would have become if Danks had stayed healthy.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 9,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Had that huge win in Boston that September. I'll always remember him for that and for what may have been.
Don't forget he also dueled Johan Santana and kept the Sox in the game. The Sox would eventually lose in extra innings. Thankfully, the Sox would win the next three games of the series. The rest, as they say, is history.

Anyone remember MySpace? Brandon McCarthy was on my friend's list during the 2006 season. He was best friends with Brian Anderson. They enjoyed the night life.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.