White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 PM
WSI Regular

Default Brandon McCarthy to retire

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/bran...on/c-290323362

That's it for the 2005 team.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 PM
WSI Prelate

No more nails on this chalkboard.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:54 PM
WSI Guru

Had that huge win in Boston that September. I'll always remember him for that and for what may have been.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 PM
WSI Personality

He had a really good changeup, will remember him for that and getting Danks in the deal with Texas.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 PM
WSI High Priest

No matter how may teams he played for after he left Chicago, Brandon could never rid himself of the White Sox Injury Culture.

277-241.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Had that huge win in Boston that September. I'll always remember him for that and for what may have been.
Thats the first thing I always think of when his name comes up. Was thinking at the time that the Sox had a good up and comer. Then came the big surprise of the trade for Danks. Couldnt stay healthy. Reminds me of Jason Bere that way. Thanks for your contributions to 2005, Mr. McCarthy.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 08-14-2018, 11:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

HOF tweeter, at least.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:08 AM
WSI Personality

I remember Brandon McCarthy and his contributions to 2005 and I was surprised that he was not included on the postseason roster. Seemed there was some personality issue with Ozzie? And he got traded with the comment that he was probably not durable enough to be a starter. 13 years in MLB later, McCarthy finally hits the wall! All heart.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I remember Brandon McCarthy and his contributions to 2005 and I was surprised that he was not included on the postseason roster. Seemed there was some personality issue with Ozzie? And he got traded with the comment that he was probably not durable enough to be a starter. 13 years in MLB later, McCarthy finally hits the wall! All heart.
It was a decision to choose either McCarthy or El Duque. They chose correctly.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 AM
WSI Prelate

He had a solid career, even despite the injuries.

Keeping El Duque on the 2005 playoff roster was the right call.

But in 2006, the Sox should have employed a 6-man rotation that included McCarthy (and already had Vazquez replacing El Duque), instead of relegating McCarthy to the bullpen, as he was more suited to starting than relieving. That might have put a bit less stress on the middle relief.

With his retirement, we can close the book on the Danks-McCarthy trade. McCarthy ends his career with 9.6 WAR. Danks put up 20.2 WAR. Between that and the blackout game, Id say the Sox won that trade.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
With his retirement, we can close the book on the Danks-McCarthy trade. McCarthy ends his career with 9.6 WAR. Danks put up 20.2 WAR. Between that and the blackout game, Id say the Sox won that trade.
One might argue that this trade single-handedly won the blackout game, as Nick Masset was subsequently traded at the 08 deadline for Junior, whose throw to nail Cuddyer at the plate ought to be just as well remembered IMO as Danks' performance and Thome's dinger.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
One might argue that this trade single-handedly won the blackout game, as Nick Masset was subsequently traded at the 08 deadline for Junior, whose throw to nail Cuddyer at the plate ought to be just as well remembered IMO as Danks' performance and Thome's dinger.

And don't forget Brian Anderson's catch at the end.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
And don't forget Brian Anderson's catch at the end.
Or AJ receiving Griffey's throw and blocking the plate.

/end thread hijack

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
He had a solid career, even despite the injuries.

Keeping El Duque on the 2005 playoff roster was the right call.

But in 2006, the Sox should have employed a 6-man rotation that included McCarthy (and already had Vazquez replacing El Duque), instead of relegating McCarthy to the bullpen, as he was more suited to starting than relieving. That might have put a bit less stress on the middle relief.

McCarthy has actually acknowledged that putting El Duque on the playoff roster was the right call and he said that Danks' success was what led to him to change his approach as a pitcher and use more sinkers and two-seamers. He said something to the effect of he didn't want to be known as the guy in one of the most lop-sided trades of all time, which he thought the trade would have become if Danks had stayed healthy.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Don't forget he also dueled Johan Santana and kept the Sox in the game. The Sox would eventually lose in extra innings. Thankfully, the Sox would win the next three games of the series. The rest, as they say, is history.

Anyone remember MySpace? Brandon McCarthy was on my friend's list during the 2006 season. He was best friends with Brian Anderson. They enjoyed the night life.