White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Default Extra innings in minors: runner placed at second

I am generally tolerant but skeptical of rules changes, but I really like the new (minor league) rule that puts a runner on second base at the start of each frame in extra innings.

It saves pitching staffs, it allows fans to see the conclusion of the game, and it's a way of breaking ties that is quite natural (unlike, say, penalty kicks in soccer). It encourages good situational baseball.

Baseball is designed to test your depth over a long season, not over 16 innings when you have position players pitching and three other guys out of position. I always found that ugly.

Of course it's too soon to consider having the same rule in the majors, but maybe in a few years...
Old 07-19-2018, 10:58 PM
WSI Guru

I'm a traditionalist as far as most of the rules in the game, so I hate the idea. That said, Manfred said on Waddle and Silvy earlier this season that he doesn't see the rule extending beyond the minors. They put the rule there not to exhaust developing players (I think), probably for the same reasons doubleheader games are seven innings instead of nine. Obviously, this could change in the majors, but I hope it doesn't.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

All sports are trying to find ways to shorten overtime games and get a definite conclusion. I agree a game that goes 13+ innings is hard on a family especially on a weeknight. I don't see a major difference between this and the College football overtime plan that allows for almost sure scoring on every possession and forces action.

I wouldn't have a problem if this came to the majors, but I imagine in the majors they'd start it in like the 12 inning or something, not the 10th. I could live with that.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-20-2018, 12:56 AM
WSI Guru

No thank you.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I am generally tolerant but skeptical of rules changes, but I really like the new (minor league) rule that puts a runner on second base at the start of each frame in extra innings.

It saves pitching staffs, it allows fans to see the conclusion of the game, and it's a way of breaking ties that is quite natural (unlike, say, penalty kicks in soccer). It encourages good situational baseball.

Baseball is designed to test your depth over a long season, not over 16 innings when you have position players pitching and three other guys out of position. I always found that ugly.

Of course it's too soon to consider having the same rule in the majors, but maybe in a few years...

This would be a terrible idea. The first thing I'd ask is how often does this situation occur?

My next question is how would starting a guy at second base encourage situational baseball when the general philosophy of the offensive side of the game has changed?

You have bench players and a minor league system. If the facts bear out that games are running into extended extra innings maybe, maybe, you extend the forty man roster to forty-two? Then add to the number of bench players allowed if the fact warrant.

This is nothing more than an attempt to appeal to baseball fans with diminishing attention spans.

The catering to baseball fans with diminishing attention spans isn't the problem. Diminishing attention spans are the problem and I'd bet this problem extends to every aspect of life in the individual affected.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
The catering to baseball fans with diminishing attention spans isn't the problem. Diminishing attention spans are the problem and I'd bet this problem extends to every aspect of life in the individual affected.
Business has to adapt to the potential audience or lose money.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-20-2018, 07:30 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
This would be a terrible idea. The first thing I'd ask is how often does this situation occur?

My next question is how would starting a guy at second base encourage situational baseball when the general philosophy of the offensive side of the game has changed?

You have bench players and a minor league system. If the facts bear out that games are running into extended extra innings maybe, maybe, you extend the forty man roster to forty-two? Then add to the number of bench players allowed if the fact warrant.

This is nothing more than an attempt to appeal to baseball fans with diminishing attention spans.

In my case it's not a diminished attention span. I have a busy life. I budget 3-4 hours for a game and if it goes 5 it cuts into something else. I like seeing the end of the game and I like seeing the wheels turn in the tenth and eleventh. Bunt? Try for a productive out? Walk the first batter? Choose a pinch hitter with speed so that he's on second next inning if he makes the final out this inning?

In my case it's not a diminshed attention span.

Wait, what?
Old 07-20-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:

If the people paying to enjoy your entertainment service have changing needs and demands, you had better cater to them rather than try to figure out how to change those needs and demands.

Not sure how baseball would solve the issues you raise in the second paragraph or if those issues can or should be fixed.

The tastes of the viewing audience are changing you had better accommodate them, but that's why I suggested a compromise solution above where the first few extra innings are played standard and then starting at some point (TBD) the runner is placed on second to (in theory) facilitate a faster ending to the game.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
In my case it's not a diminished attention span. I have a busy life. I budget 3-4 hours for a game and if it goes 5 it cuts into something else. I like seeing the end of the game and I like seeing the wheels turn in the tenth and eleventh. Bunt? Try for a productive out? Walk the first batter? Choose a pinch hitter with speed so that he's on second next inning if he makes the final out this inning?

In my case it's not a diminshed attention span.

Wait, what?
Good point and add in parents who are bringing kids to the game and who don't want to get home well past midnight or have to leave before the end due to other commitments they've made and disappoint those kids.

I don't see this as a major issue, but I understand why purists don't want it. Still I think it might well be coming to the majors at some point and I don't have a major problem with it.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:14 AM
WSI Prelate

It's fine for the minors.
If extras are too much for the majors, just count ties.
No contrivances.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'd rather see a tie after 13 innings.

Don't care for shootouts in the NHL either.

Maybe MLB can remove a fielder after every inning. That will create more offense.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:21 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't get it. When I go to a concert, I never want it to end early or after a set number of songs (though I have seen others leave before the show is over). No one is being forced to stay for the entire game. If people don't want to stick around to see the end or extra innings, they are free to leave and listen to the rest of the game on the radio on the car ride home. Why are extra innings a problem?

275-238.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Gross. Might as well determine the winner with a home run derby.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 AM

And just a reminder, none of the posters on these forums is a casual fan. As much as we care about the team and the game, we remain the minority of the targeted audience.

I doubt anyone who is posting in this thread will stop watching games if MLB adopts this rule and a few years after it starts none of us will even bat an eye at it anymore. By then it will simply be what it will be and we will continue enjoying the great sport and maybe occasionally reminisce about the way things used to be.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Why are extra innings a problem?

Today's players are much more fragile than the players of 50 years ago. Can you imagine a current manager letting a pitcher go 11 innings into a perfect game? Me either.

I blame early specialization for fragility problem. 50 years ago high school athletes were three-sport athletes. There were no muscle overtraining or undertraining issues, because different sports used different muscles. Now when kids start travel baseball at age 8, to the exclusion of other sports, they are being set up for injuries we never used to see.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W

Next Game Aug 17