White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 11:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
All of this is conjecture, though. I have no idea where this concept of Abreu signing a below-market-value extension comes from, but it sure seems to have taken on a life of its own around here. I hope this is not being considered an important part of the post-rebuild success strategy.
Unless I missed it, nobody said "below-market-value" here when suggesting an extension is possible with Abreu.

Count me as someone who is hopeful they agree to an extension with him to keep him here beyond 2019. Is it likely to happen? I have no idea. Is it outrageous to think it could happen? I don't think so.

The bigger question with an extension for Abreu isn't annual salary, but number of years involved given that he's 30 now.

At any rate, when the Sox are competitive again in a few years, odds are they'll need to supplement their homegrown core with an expensive free agent or two - and pretty much any free agent is going to be around 30 with the exception of guys who came up at 19 or 20 like Harper or Machado.
Old Today, 02:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Interesting... Reports now that the Red Sox and Cardinals are VERY interested in Abreu. If that is the case, maybe Hahn will get enough to justify trading him.
Old Today, 02:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Interesting... Reports now that the Red Sox and Cardinals are VERY interested in Abreu. If that is the case, maybe Hahn will get enough to justify trading him.
We know that the Red Sox's system is essentially barren. What prospects do the Cardinals have of value? What I'm seeing so far--if only from the prospect grades--is not enough to make me want to jump out of my seat and trade him.

2014 PtC Score: 1

Last edited by DonnieDarko; Today at 02:16 PM.
Old Today, 03:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Here's what the Red Sox should do. They desperately need power in their line-up. They are full of good hitters (Bogaerts, Benintendi, Pedroia, Betts).

There are 3 moves they can make:

1. Sign J.D. Martinez to play LF
2. Trade Benintendi for Abrue to play 1B
3. Trade Price/young pieces to Cubs for Schwarber to DH

Leaves Boston with a line-up of:

Pedroia
Bogaerts
Betts
Martinez
Abrue
Schwarber
Bradley
Devers
Catcher

That damn near rivals the Yankees line-up, I'd even say it might be deeper than the Yankees. Yes the Yankees have Judge/Stanton/Sanchez but honestly those 3 haven't shown year over year they will produce. Stanton finally played a full year, Judge was crazy erratic and Sanchez has been injured a lot.
Old Today, 03:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Here's what the Red Sox should do. They desperately need power in their line-up. They are full of good hitters (Bogaerts, Benintendi, Pedroia, Betts).

There are 3 moves they can make:

1. Sign J.D. Martinez to play LF
2. Trade Benintendi for Abrue to play 1B
3. Trade Price/young pieces to Cubs for Schwarber to DH

Leaves Boston with a line-up of:

Pedroia
Bogaerts
Betts
Martinez
Abrue
Schwarber
Bradley
Devers
Catcher

That damn near rivals the Yankees line-up, I'd even say it might be deeper than the Yankees. Yes the Yankees have Judge/Stanton/Sanchez but honestly those 3 haven't shown year over year they will produce. Stanton finally played a full year, Judge was crazy erratic and Sanchez has been injured a lot.
There is no way in hell we are getting Benintendi for Abreu unless Rick Hahn has force trades turned on and we're all part of some awesome video game simulation.
Old Today, 04:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
There is no way in hell we are getting Benintendi for Abreu unless Rick Hahn has force trades turned on and we're all part of some awesome video game simulation.
This.

Abreu to the Red Sox just doesn't really fit for us. Need to have a 3rd team in there to make it work. Still don't see the Sox trading him anyways.
Old Today, 05:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Trade Benintendi for Abrue to play 1B
This is among the most unrealistic trade scenarios I have ever seen floated at this site, and that is saying *a lot.*

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old Today, 05:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This is among the most unrealistic trade scenarios I have ever seen floated at this site, and that is saying *a lot.*

What if we sweeten the deal by throwing in Saladino, Davidson and Fry? Boston couldn't resist.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old Today, 06:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Well, Abreu isn't going to the Sawx then. The Red Sox have nothing that the Sox would want other than Benintendi/Devers, otherwise there is no deal to be made with them. I agree that under normal circumstances you are correct, but desperate times call for desperate measures for Dombrowski.

Last edited by whitesoxfan1986; Today at 07:02 PM.
Old Today, 06:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Not if they sign him now or in near future. My impression is that Abreu likes the status he has built within the organization and his mentorship role he has developed, considers himself something of an uncle to Moncada, prefers stability, and is fully on board with the rebuild, so I disagree that the Sox are not in a favorable position. Not everybody is motivated to maximize their finances at the expense of everything else.
I agree with your assessment- doesn't mean he'll take a huge discount vs. his market value, but I think the Sox could get some level of "home town" discount from Abreu- the Cuban connnection with the White Sox, the connection to Minoso, and Abreu's connection with Moncada, all could add up to some favoritism for the Sox.
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old Today, 07:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72
I agree with your assessment- doesn't mean he'll take a huge discount vs. his market value, but I think the Sox could get some level of "home town" discount from Abreu- the Cuban connnection with the White Sox, the connection to Minoso, and Abreu's connection with Moncada, all could add up to some favoritism for the Sox.
Key word is “could.” Abreu also “could” be out the door in two years with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I hope Hahn doesn’t pass up any opportunities to upgrade the 2020, 2021, and beyond rosters based on this series of “maybes.”
Old Today, 07:50 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I dont know what to do with Abreu but with 2 years left of control, I do know that he is at his highest worth now.
Old Today, 08:47 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
We know that the Red Sox's system is essentially barren. What prospects do the Cardinals have of value? What I'm seeing so far--if only from the prospect grades--is not enough to make me want to jump out of my seat and trade him.
I *really* wanted Carson Kelly, but then the Sox signed Castillo. Kelly could still make sense -- give the Sox another long term option at catcher, which is a key position -- and give them flexibility to use Collins' and Zavala's bats elsewhere, or even trade them. But it wouldn't be my first choice.
Old Today, 09:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Devers would be more likely than Benintendi and I don't see the Red Sox trading either. I just don't see a match with Boston. Devers+ would be my starting price and I think they'd be foolish to make that deal.

The Cardinals have a pretty deep system and a lot of quality outfielders but no one who really grabs my attention. Alex Reyes would be he is just off of T.J. surgery. A few of the other guys would be good second or third players in a deal but not prime targets.

I hope Texas jumps in. The more I look at him the more I like OF-Leody Taveras as a primary target.

Colorado might be an option also. They have more players I would be interested in than Boston though they are sort of like the Cardinals in that only one guy really knocks my sox off.