White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Default MLB Proposal

Reduce the number of affiliated minor league teams by 25%.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/r..._campaign=8315
Old 10-19-2019, 01:03 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Kids would just start in low A instead of rookie ball or go from rookie to A. In a few years the level of competition at A would even out. You might even see High A go away and simply go from A to AA.

Some players would be cut before they really get a chance to develop but they will end up on independent teams and then if they excel get picked up again by a MLB affiliated team.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-19-2019, 01:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Iím fine with this. No one should need to do more than 5 years in the minors anyway.

Go with a 3-2-3-2 plan in the next CBA. 3 years until Rule 5 eligibility (currently 4 or 5, depending on age at signing), 2 option years (currently 3), 3 years until arbitration eligibility (with no more Super 2 guessing games), 2 years until free agency eligibility (currently 3 or 4, depending on Super 2 status).
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM
WSI Guru

I'm not cool with this because it would put a lot of people out of work, not only players. I'm thinking everyone who works for these organizations, even if it's not the only thing they do for a living. I know this wouldn't affect the American Association, which I'm grateful for since I've been a fill-in scorer for the Gary SouthShore RailCats for two of the past three years, but I would hate to lose that opportunity, and it would put my friend out of a broadcasting job. Lot of things to consider here.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I'm not cool with this because it would put a lot of people out of work, not only players. I'm thinking everyone who works for these organizations, even if it's not the only thing they do for a living. I know this wouldn't affect the American Association, which I'm grateful for since I've been a fill-in scorer for the Gary SouthShore RailCats for two of the past three years, but I would hate to lose that opportunity, and it would put my friend out of a broadcasting job. Lot of things to consider here.
Teams may continue to exist, just not be affiliated with a MLB club.

Edit: And as much as I hope your friend doesn't lose his job, the 50-75 broadcasting jobs that might go away won't be part of MLB decision.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Apparently the MiLB teams that get deaffiliated would become part of a "Dream League" for players who are not part of an MLB organization but still want to play pro ball. The "Dream League" would be owned by MLB.

So basically MLB would be running its own independent league.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-19-2019, 03:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Teams may continue to exist, just not be affiliated with a MLB club.

Edit: And as much as I hope your friend doesn't lose his job, the 50-75 broadcasting jobs that might go away won't be part of MLB decision.
The American Association is independent ball, so it won't be affected by this.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
The American Association is independent ball, so it won't be affected by this.
Good.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Old 10-19-2019, 10:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Before Branch Rickey created the major league farm system, minor leagues were independent and supported themselves, not just through attendance, but by selling players to major league teams. Major leagues have been cutting back on their minor league systems for decades, leaving open a niche for independent leagues that make money, in large part, by selling players to major league teams.

Cutting back further on minor league affiliations would mean more players having to find work in independent leagues rather than being assigned to minor league teams. It would also be an advantage to the richer teams, widening the gap between the haves and the have-nots.

The richer teams used to buy the best players. Farm systems gave teams a way to develop talent. Rich teams began stockpiling talent in the minors by signing players to huge bonuses. After World War II, baseball started requiring "bonus babies" to spend two years on the major league roster (not unlike teams having to keep a Rule 5 player on the roster for a year), but that didn't hold down the bonuses. Bidding for Rick Reichardt ran so high that baseball created the free agent draft. The reserve clause was abolished a decade later. Players gained free agent opportunities on their terms. Cutting back on farm systems is minimizing the talent that teams can develop in place of having them bid on players developed by developmental baseball leagues, exempt from the amateur draft because they are professionals.

Cutting back on the number of minor league teams isn't forward thinking, but really the opposite. This doesn't promote competitive balance, and it will cost people jobs in baseball. The Schaumburg Flyers and Yuma Scorpions no longer exist because independent baseball is more precarious and both teams couldn't pay their bills. The Flyers were replaced by the Boomers and the Scorpions were replaced by the Desert Rats, which I read signed an affiliation with the Venezuelan Baseball Federation but never played a game. The big problem with independent baseball is the lack of stability. I live in a California League city. The Modesto Nuts and their mascots Al Almond and Wally Walnut, are in the Advanced A California League, as are the San Jose Giants. The league's baseball future could be precarious.

Baseball still has the most intricate farm system in sports, but the more you cut back on the minor leagues, the more it will affect major league balance and competition.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The Modesto Nuts and their mascots Al Almond and Wally Walnut, are in the Advanced A California League, as are the San Jose Giants. The league's baseball future could be precarious.
Not Modesto! Thatís nuts.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Iím fine with this. No one should need to do more than 5 years in the minors anyway.
You're right. Scott Podsednik should have been cut well before his seven years in the minors took place. Would have saved the Sox the trouble of playing in the cold and rain in late October, 2005.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
You're right. Scott Podsednik should have been cut well before his seven years in the minors took place. Would have saved the Sox the trouble of playing in the cold and rain in late October, 2005.
2 of those years could have just taken place in the majors.

10 years is plenty of time for players to be beholden to the teams that draft them.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
2 of those years could have just taken place in the majors.

10 years is plenty of time for players to be beholden to the teams that draft them.
It's a free country. If a team wants to pay some guy for 10 years or more to be a minor leaguer, so what?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Theoretically Scott Podsednik would have been cut from his MLB organization after 5 years, then would have gone to a "Dream League" team from which any organization could have signed him as an FA. That's how the new MiLB is supposed to work I think.