White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2017, 01:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Alec Hansen

After Eloy, this is my favorite prospect currently. Was he a steal last draft? What is his ceiling?
Old 08-12-2017, 02:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
After Eloy, this is my favorite prospect currently. Was he a steal last draft? What is his ceiling?
Coming into 2016, he was touted as a possible #1 overall pick.

Control issues during his 2016 season caused his draft stock to tumble.

If he becomes a mid-rotation starter, then yes, he's a steal given where he was drafted.

But his ceiling is that of a near-ace. Maybe not Sale/Kershaw level, but good enough to be a #1 on many teams.

If he and Kopech both approach their potential, we will have a formidable rotation indeed.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Coming into 2016, he was touted as a possible #1 overall pick.

Control issues during his 2016 season caused his draft stock to tumble.

If he becomes a mid-rotation starter, then yes, he's a steal given where he was drafted.

But his ceiling is that of a near-ace. Maybe not Sale/Kershaw level, but good enough to be a #1 on many teams.

If he and Kopech both approach their potential, we will have a formidable rotation indeed.

Formidable? If both he and Kopech hit their potential to go along with high K rate arms in Rodon and Lopez.... you are probably looking at a top 5 rotation in the game.

I will say this, all for of those guys easily have 200K stuff. That's dominance.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Formidable? If both he and Kopech hit their potential to go along with high K rate arms in Rodon and Lopez.... you are probably looking at a top 5 rotation in the game.

I will say this, all for of those guys easily have 200K stuff. That's dominance.
Yup. Add in Giolito or Dunning as the 5th starter and it's going to be one impressive as hell rotation. And that part of the rebuild will be here soon. Rodon is here. Lopez is here. Kopech could arrive sometime next year or 2019 definitely. Giolito likely next year. Hansen and Dunning probably 2019. The position players will be mostly 2020 but the rotation should be done by 2019 and mostly done next year.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM
WSI Personality

If the Sox can set a solid rotation from their system, then they're actually ahead of where the Cubs were a year into their rebuild. Cubs had to sign Lester and Lackey and trade to get Q. Barring injury, they should have 4 top of the rotation guys in Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, and Hansen by '19 at the latest. That's pretty insane. Then guys like Gio, Dunning, Cease, Burdi, etc. can provide bullpen depth.

Position players are a little harder to project but they only need 2-3 to reach their potential.

2019 is going to be fun as hell.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:21 AM
WSI Prelate

The question of Kopech's development is a matter of when not if. He will be a stud. Hansen has a bit more to question in his game but, if he pans out he is maybe a tick below Kopech. Funny that Rodon, who has stud potential, probably will be third best if these guys are who I think they will be.

There will be a lot of competition in the back end. Right now, we have Dunning, GIolito, Kopech, Lopez, Rodon, Hansen fighting for a rotation spot. I am not sure who has to go. It has to be two.

Oh, and don't forget Cease who, many say, can be a Kopech if he controls his walk ratio. This was the same question mark they had on Kopech. The talent for Cease is there.

It will probably do us well to begin developing some of these guys for the bullpen.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
The question of Kopech's development is a matter of when not if. He will be a stud. Hansen has a bit more to question in his game but, if he pans out he is maybe a tick below Kopech. Funny that Rodon, who has stud potential, probably will be third best if these guys are who I think they will be.

There will be a lot of competition in the back end. Right now, we have Dunning, GIolito, Kopech, Lopez, Rodon, Hansen fighting for a rotation spot. I am not sure who has to go. It has to be two.

Oh, and don't forget Cease who, many say, can be a Kopech if he controls his walk ratio. This was the same question mark they had on Kopech. The talent for Cease is there.

It will probably do us well to begin developing some of these guys for the bullpen.
I'd hate to see them move guys to the bullpen just to hang on to them. Settle on the best 5 keep a 6th for depth and move whoever is left if they are blocked. A mid-rotation starting pitcher is worth far more in trade value than they will get from moving them to relief.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-13-2017, 12:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'd hate to see them move guys to the bullpen just to hang on to them. Settle on the best 5 keep a 6th for depth and move whoever is left if they are blocked. A mid-rotation starting pitcher is worth far more in trade value than they will get from moving them to relief.

Good point. We will have bullpen arms, regardless. Guys like Danish, Fulmer, Burdi, Stephens, and Guerrero will probably slot well from an in-house bullpen.

Rodon, Cease, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, Hansen, and Dunning. Who is the odd man out? Who gets traded for a hitter that will help push us over the top?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:41 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Good point. We will have bullpen arms, regardless. Guys like Danish, Fulmer, Burdi, Stephens, and Guerrero will probably slot well from an in-house bullpen.

Rodon, Cease, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, Hansen, and Dunning. Who is the odd man out? Who gets traded for a hitter that will help push us over the top?
Agreed, you don't move guys to the bullpen just because there's no room in the major league rotation. If we run into the "problem" of too many of the prospects working out, those guys are worth their weight in gold on the trade market.

If everything works according to plan, I'll be most interested to see what they do with Rodon, the "veteran" of this projected staff. He'll be the most established guy in the rotation, and also the first to hit FA, and the Boras factor looms. They'll have plenty of payroll flexibility to pay him market value, but that will probably be more than he is actually worth, and the more money the Sox save in filling out the rotation, the more they can invest in the offense (where there are likely to be a couple holes).
Old 08-21-2017, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

There will be injuries- that will naturally shorten the list of who eventually sticks in the rotation at the major league level. From what I've seen this year- I personally would bet on:

Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Dunning
Giolito
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-21-2017, 03:30 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
There will be injuries- that will naturally shorten the list of who eventually sticks in the rotation at the major league level. From what I've seen this year- I personally would bet on:

Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Dunning
Giolito
Dunning over Lopez? How for? Why come? What that?
Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHatesShe View Post
Dunning over Lopez? How for? Why come? What that?
Monday morning brain cramp!

Revised list-

Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Lopez
Giolito

1st alternate- Dunning
2nd alternate- Cease
Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Monday morning brain cramp!

Revised list-

Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Lopez
Giolito

1st alternate- Dunning
2nd alternate- Cease
I see. Though your original post did lead me to double check Dunning's stats. He has had a really good year. His arm appears to be tiring out, but that can be expected of a guy in his second pro year, in which he only pitched 35 innings his first year.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHatesShe View Post
I see. Though your original post did lead me to double check Dunning's stats. He has had a really good year. His arm appears to be tiring out, but that can be expected of a guy in his second pro year, in which he only pitched 35 innings his first year.
I don't think there is any question but that Rodon, Kopech, and Hansen are the cream of the crop.

After that there are several guys that could fill the last two spots. Giolito and Lopez clearly have the advantage, both in stuff and in being the most advanced of them but Dunning is certainly in the same conversation.

But guys like Cease, who has the stuff but I think may end up a closer, Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Fulmer, Flores, Martinez, Clarkin, and Puckett all could end up in the competition for the 4th and 5th spots.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Gio, Lopez, Dunning and Cease all have the makeup to be #2 or #3 starters potentially as well. So in a not-so-far-fetched best case scenario, the Sox will be throwing out three legit front end starters and a #4 and #5 that are on the level of someone like Danny Duffy or Gerritt Cole.