White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Lopez through 5 and he's given up 4 runs on 3 homeruns and struck out 9.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Burger cooling off a bit at Kanny, Skoug is down to a .125 batting average, not playing much- I wonder if they're retooling his swing?

Good to see Gillaspie off the DL at Charlotte.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Burger cooling off a bit at Kanny, Skoug is down to a .125 batting average, not playing much- I wonder if they're retooling his swing?

Good to see Gillaspie off the DL at Charlotte.
A slow down was inevitable for him. Lets see how he bounces back.

His K-rate is still around 10%, so he will inevitably put the ball in play.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:52 AM
WSI Guru

Sox just signed former Top-50 prospect D.J. Peterson and assigned him to Charlotte.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Sox just signed former Top-50 prospect D.J. Peterson and assigned him to Charlotte.
Interesting pick up. Definitely worth taking a shot at him. He's struggled to hit at the higher levels but it isn't like he has embarrassed himself.

Here is his scouting report from the 2016 Mariner list at MLB when he was still the Mariners #6 prospect:

Quote:
D.J. Peterson | Rank: 6 (Preseason: 6)
Team: Charlotte Knights (AAA) ETA: 2016
Position: 1B Age: 25 DOB: 12/31/1991
Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 1" Weight: 210 lb.
Drafted: 2013, 1st (12) - SEA

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 40 | Overall: 50

Peterson appeared on the fast track to the Major Leagues after Seattle made him the No. 12 overall pick in 2013. The University of New Mexico product slugged his way to Double-A in his first full season, when he led all Mariners Minor Leagues in home runs (31) and RBIs (111). He stalled back at that level in 2015, however, and then suffered a season-ending Achilles injury shortly after the Mariners tried to jumpstart his bat with a promotion to Triple-A. Peterson finally got back on track in 2016 with a return to Double-A has continued to swing the bat well after being promoted to Triple-A in late June.

When he's right, Peterson's right-handed swing is compact and straight to the ball, with necessary bat speed and loft to generate consistent over-the-fence power. But he became too pull-conscious after his impressive 2014 campaign, and then lost some of his feel to hit last year as he tried to overcompensate and use the whole field. His formerly sound approach regressed as well, and some scouts wonder if his current bat path will ever allow him to drive secondary pitches.

Peterson's strong arm was his only standout tool at third base, where he was below-average defender with limited range. As a result, he saw more time at first base last season before taking over there full time in 2016.
Hitting .264 with 12 HR's and 17 doubles at AAA this year.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 AM
WSI Prelate

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2017/ALL

I know I harp on his k-rate, but if he performs well in A+ next year, I will slowly start to believe that he has a chance to be decent.

I just want him to get that k-rate down to 25%, and then I will take him seriously.

I think he, Rutherford, Burger, and Sheets are easy call ups to A+ next year. There will be pressure on Rutherford to show increased development. He will probably lose some more of his stock after this year. May be out of the t100 prospect rating as he just can't seem to find any power.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Interesting pick up. Definitely worth taking a shot at him. He's struggled to hit at the higher levels but it isn't like he has embarrassed himself.

Here is his scouting report from the 2016 Mariner list at MLB when he was still the Mariners #6 prospect:

Hitting .264 with 12 HR's and 17 doubles at AAA this year.
The White Sox are obviously signing filler prospects that have low risk high reward potential that they will play both at the end of this year and all of next year. AKA the Gillaspie and Peterson signing are a perfect example of this They will both get their due next year in the majors, and will provide our entertainment while the young guys develop. If these guys perform, then hooray. If not, oh well.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM
WSI Guru

Robert out 7-10 days with a badly sprained ankle.

That's two injuries in three months for the kid.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Is this what it's coming to? If it is a matter of over training, under training, poor rest or diet that leads to these injuries hang it on the player and the staff.

Otherwise he is playing a physical sport and not sitting about playing hands of Go Fish.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 08-08-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Jimenez, once again, tearing it up. 3/3 and a triple aaay from a cycle.

How seriously should we be taking Deby Zavala?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:53 PM
WSI Regular

Eloy since the trade:

24 games

.378 BA
6 HR
20 RBI
Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Jimenez, once again, tearing it up. 3/3 and a triple aaay from a cycle.

How seriously should we be taking Deby Zavala?
Seby can hit. Not too sure about his catching. Obviously they are giving most time to Collins so Zavala usually DH's so perhaps he would improve with more time behind the plate. The game I saw of him catching was not particularly impressive.

My hope is that next year they will send split Collins and Zavala and let one of them start in AA and the other in A+ with Skoug in A. Let all three get a full season of development. I think all three are serious prospects if they can learn to play the position.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Crap! I wondered when I saw the box score if he had gotten hurt again. Hopefully this is just a run of bad luck.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Seby can hit. Not too sure about his catching. Obviously they are giving most time to Collins so Zavala usually DH's so perhaps he would improve with more time behind the plate. The game I saw of him catching was not particularly impressive.

My hope is that next year they will send split Collins and Zavala and let one of them start in AA and the other in A+ with Skoug in A. Let all three get a full season of development. I think all three are serious prospects if they can learn to play the position.
Hmm. I wonder where he could slot in if his bat continues to stick out long term. First base?

Quote:
Crap! I wondered when I saw the box score if he had gotten hurt again. Hopefully this is just a run of bad luck.
Eh. I am okay with what he is doing right now. He won't play more than 50 games this year, but the work will come in the offseason, and we get to see him in A ball next year. That's where his development will come. I am optimistic about him. He has a good eye. Has a swing and miss like Moncada, but the eye is obviously there.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Hmm. I wonder where he could slot in if his bat continues to stick out long term. First base? .
Hopefully Zavala can learn to catch well enough to be the righty half of a lefty-righty platoon at the position. Otherwise I would rather have Sheets (lefty) or Gillaspie (switch hitter) make it at 1st.
Closed Thread