Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Has Skole played any third this spring?

He was once the Nationals' #2 prospect. I'm not sure if they moved him because their #1 prospect was Rendon or because he was a butcher at third.

I would really like to see a lefty power bat who can play third on the roster. I was hoping for Delmonico but Skole seems to provide the same skills.
Sox have several of those corner type guys who might be able to hit. All should get opportunities if Avi is moved. For now, it's nice to have the depth.
I wonder if they Sox might not pick up Max Stassi if the Astros cut him. He seems similar to Skole/Davidson/Gillaspie, but at catcher.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Which reminds me - of the veteran roster filler and (older) non-roster invitees, who would you want to keep (at least for AAA)?

My list, with about a week to go:

Avilan - 25-man
Cedeno - keep
Cordell - 25-man
Elmore - cut
Farquhar - cut
Gomez - keep
House - cut
Infante - cut
Leonard - cut
Minaya - keep
Palka - cut
Rondon, B - keep
Rondon, J - keep
Ross - 25-man
Santiago - 25-man
Scahill - keep
Skole - keep
Soria - cut
Volstad - keep
Ynoa - already cut
Old 03-21-2018, 10:58 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Cutting Soria isn’t going to happen and it shouldn’t until they are 100% sure he has nothing left and the team needs the slot for someone who can help them win and the wins matter.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-21-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Cutting Soria isn’t going to happen and it shouldn’t until they are 100% sure he has nothing left and the team needs the slot for someone who can help them win and the wins matter.
I know that, but I get to be GM on the Internet.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Well they traded for him to flip him (I can't think of any other rational reason to trade for him) so I suppose they should give that a chance of working out.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:22 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Old 03-22-2018, 12:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg
Well they traded for him to flip him (I can't think of any other rational reason to trade for him) so I suppose they should give that a chance of working out.
Soria looks like he will be bad (and unflippable) this year, but that trade still provided two useful outcomes.

1) The trade stabilized bullpen usage rate

For a bullpen that looks like a disaster waiting to happen regardless of Soria’s performance, a durable veteran who can provide about 50-70 innings will help ease Renteria’s burden.

2) The trade provided Luis Avilan, who looks like he can be a solid contributor beyond this year.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

The only outfielders that I would trade Avi to make room for are Jimenez and Robert, but Avi wont get in their way as it is.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The only outfielders that I would trade Avi to make room for are Jimenez and Robert, but Avi wont get in their way as it is.
Avi wouldn't be moved to make room for an outfield prospect, because there's room for Jimenez and Cordell now, and Robert won't be ready for a while yet.

But I'd move Avi for a top catcher, shortstop or third base prospect. I think his value is peaking.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Avi wouldn't be moved to make room for an outfield prospect, because there's room for Jimenez and Cordell now, and Robert won't be ready for a while yet.

But I'd move Avi for a top catcher, shortstop or third base prospect. I think his value is peaking.
We will see what Avi does this year. If he's close to last year's performance he likely gets moved for assets.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 03-22-2018, 08:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
We will see what Avi does this year. If he's close to last year's performance he likely gets moved for assets.
My hope is that, if the Sox strike out on landing Machado (likely, since it seems he wants to be a Yankee, yuck), that they can trade Avisail for Nolan Arenado. But this is pie in the sky stuff here, I'm not really thinking that either move will happen--though of those, I think that Machado is more likely.

Something tells me that the Sox are going to hang on to Avisail. Just a gut feeling.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Banned

1) I find it depressing that the White Sox traded for Soria and are paying him $8 million dollars and yet they didn't sign Mike Moustakas for $6 million dollars.Is there anybody who would rather have a more expensive Soria than Moustakas on the team?
2) If Hahn would not have traded Dave Robertson (for absolutely nothing) I would like to think he would not have stupidly traded for Soria.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:

I agree with you in that he's peaking right now. As of this spring he's hitting .383 but he has 2 walks and 13 strikeouts in 47 at bats. His defense is average at best and he still hasn't harnessed his potential power. The ability to make contact is there so unless the guy puts it all together, I don't know if teams would be willing to pony up a top prospect until he shows the ability to take walks or hit for power. At least one of those two needs to happen.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Ok, I'll bite: What team(s) should the Sox emulate in terms of avoiding injuries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
As I've suggested, it not a question of other teams. It's a complacency that human nature sets in when you have a staff that has had job security and been around for decades.

Again, not their fault, it happens because they are human.

Time to bring in some new blood to help out and look at things like conditioning, training methods, etc with a fresh set of eyes.

Not saying fire everyone, I am saying time to shake things up a little bit and get everyone back on their toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
And this is why your entire premise that something is specifically wrong with the Sox organization and injuries to Sox players is inherently flawed.

I mean, I don't think I'm stating anything any more controversial here than saying the sky is blue. You're simply not operating off a logical and necessary set of facts.
So the shake up in the medical stafff should take place regardless of its performance relative to other medical staffs in MLB? Lip, let’s apply that logic in other areas.

Let’s say we have a righty catcher who yearly averages during his career are—
A 50% base stealers thrown-out rate;
Top 25% for potential passed balls blocked and frame rate;
.290-25-85 with a 10% K rate.
150 games caught.

Now let’s say that same catcher has a slump one yr. during which he averages—
A 20% throw-out rate;
Bottom 33% for potential passed balls blocked and frame rate;
.235-12-55 with a 20% K rate.
145 games caught.

Applying your logic, the team should shake things up by bringing in another catcher. The new catcher would either replace the backup or the slumping starting catcher, whether or not the new catcher has performed better than either of the incumbent catchers. The critical factor in bringing in the new catcher is that he offers a fresh perspective. This is what we will expect going forward from our starting catcher—

A switch-hitter;
A 75% throw-out rate;
Top 3 among all catchers for potential passed balls blocked and frame rate;
.325-35-110 with a 3% K rate.
155 games caught.

The new performance standard is set without regard for how other catchers in MLB perform since we don’t care how other catchers are performing relative to our own catchers. The new catcher and new performance standard are done to avoid complacency among our catchers.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell

Last edited by asindc; 03-22-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
2) If Hahn would not have traded Dave Robertson (for absolutely nothing) I would like to think he would not have stupidly traded for Soria.
Blake Rutherford may have had a down year last year in terms of the power numbers, but he was one of the most highly regarded HS prospects in the 2016 draft, and remains an excellent prospect.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Closed Thread